1998 F150 4.6L V8 gray/blue smoke on ...
Frank

AOL

#21 Jan 26, 2007
That is pretty common. My '06 F150 and my '98 Expo both do it. It's not anything to worry about, at least you know that there is upper cylinder lubrication happening. On a serious side, that conditon is very common with engines now days even chevy's. They are all using composite materials and alloys to make these engines lighter and more efficent. The trade off is as time goes on gaps open up between the surfaces letting oil slip by. At start up is ok,but if the smoke continues after the warm up you may have a problem. Good Luck and don't worry.
David Sacramento

Fair Oaks, CA

#22 Jan 26, 2007
Frank wrote:
That is pretty common. My '06 F150 and my '98 Expo both do it. It's not anything to worry about, at least you know that there is upper cylinder lubrication happening. On a serious side, that conditon is very common with engines now days even chevy's. They are all using composite materials and alloys to make these engines lighter and more efficent. The trade off is as time goes on gaps open up between the surfaces letting oil slip by. At start up is ok,but if the smoke continues after the warm up you may have a problem. Good Luck and don't worry.

Thanks Frank. I was not overly worried about it and I also own an oldsmobile that has done the same thing for 100K with no change and still runs good. Take Care
Dave
Frank

AOL

#23 Jan 27, 2007
David Sacramento wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Frank. I was not overly worried about it and I also own an oldsmobile that has done the same thing for 100K with no change and still runs good. Take Care
Dave
Glad to help Dave!
Calvin_canada

Saint John, Canada

#24 Feb 14, 2007
This is the first time I used this site.
I have a 1994 f150 4x4 reg. cab, We have a new baby so I looked at a 1997 f150 4x4 ext. cab today but did not buy it . I am told that I should not buy a 97 because it was the first year for the big body style change. but it is in good shape and a great price. should I take a chance or what. thanks guys.
calvin
Jay

United States

#25 Feb 19, 2007
Are the spark plugs hard to get to on a 1998 F150 V8 4.6
Can an individual do it or does it need to be done by mechanic. Need some feedback
Jill Dowdell

Allison, IA

#26 Feb 26, 2007
I have a 1993 Crown Vic. it has the 4.6 with about 160,000 miles on it. It runs like a dream no smoking etc. However I am having to replace the plugs about every three months as they are carboning up like crazy, not black but white. I thought it may be running to rich but I am running the 87 octane it it, however I live in Iowa and all of the stations carry the ethanol gas could this be the reason I'm burnning my plugs up so fast? If anyone out there has any ideas let me know please I love my Crown Vic. and I want to keep it running as long as possible.
r dillon

AOL

#27 Feb 27, 2007
Jim wrote:
oh, it is a 4.6 liter by the way
check heater core hos it may be leaking in to the plugs i had the same problem and no i have to replace my engine
Ryan 97 Exp

United States

#28 Mar 10, 2007
97 Expedition went to start it this morning and it would not crank. turned half way over and locked like the engine was locked up. tried a bunch of times and finally started. Hard miss and tons of white smoke and yes it stunk like sweet antifreeze. In 10k miles it only missed one time I started it up and smoked a little. I have read about head gasket issues with this 5.4L what should i do? I mean the thing was seized up this morning...why? water in cylinder? What should I do guys?
Rob Blettner

International Falls, MN

#29 Mar 12, 2007
I had the same problem with the blue smoke, but it wasnt all oil. i'd be driving down the road and all of a sudden it would run so rough it felt like i had a flat tire. it would trigger the check engine light to come on and i would have to let it sit for a while. at first i thought maybe rings because of the blue smoke but it turned out to be the 7th cylinder injector was getting stuck open so it would be pouring in way too much gas. the exhaust would then smell like gas. the only way you can tell this is if you hook it up to a computer. this is to tell which cylinders injector is not properly working. just some input on the discussion.....
Jim

Madison, AL

#30 Apr 4, 2007
I have a 98 F150 XLT 4.6 liter. I noticed the other morning that when I lightly accelerate I hear a whining noise coming from under the hood. The performance doesn't seem to be affected, but the noise appeared the day after I towed my boat. If I hit the gas hard I don't hear it (maybe the engine drowns out the noise). It is only when I lift off the gas and then lighly hit it again while driving or while gently starting to accelerate from a stop that I hear it. Any input?
joe

Homestead, FL

#31 Apr 27, 2007
i have a 98 f150 4.6 just bought it for 2k from a auction, the engine wont start it moves a little bit , not much . i think a piston is gone , i was thinking of changing the block ,can you tell me which 4.6 block i could use?, i heard 4.6 soch blocks started production in 1992 or if i could put a 5.4 , could i use the same computer? thank you.
Kyle

Derby Line, VT

#32 May 11, 2007
Hey,
I know this thread is about F-150's but I drive a 1993 Mazda B-2200 and everytime I start it up, HUGE clouds of blue and grey smoke come flowing out of my exhaust. I've been told it could be either valve seals or pistons rings and will cost upwards of $1500 to fix. Now, the truck is not in the greatest of shape but I'd like to get another year or so out of it before I have to take it to truck heaven. I have replaced the pcv valve and everything else, well enough to get my truck to pass an emissions test. Any ideas on what to do where I'm not spending $1500?
Frank

United States

#33 May 11, 2007
try a can of restore, it will help for a while. I sued it in one of my old cars and the suff actually worked... so I put a can in at every oil change. Hey for $8 for the restore it's worth a try. I was very skeptical, but it really worked! I used it in my old 1985 olds delta 88 with a 307 with a billion miles on it. It was still running perfect when my wife made me donate it because i got a new truck. Good luck!
Frank

United States

#34 May 11, 2007
should read "USED" it!
ken

Bentleyville, PA

#35 May 14, 2007
I have a 98 f150 xl long bed ext cab, 4.6l, I took it up a hill today, got on the gas and the temp whent all the way up and the oil temp. light came on. I see water in the oil now. Do you think I cracked the heads, bad gasket, block problem? I am going to drain the oil and see what is in it, and take out some plugs. Any typical problem with the 4.6L? I know my xploder had problems with the 4.0 heads, so is that it with this one?
Rick Osborne

United States

#36 May 29, 2007
I own a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6 with 56,000 original miles (yes, 56,000 miles)and the only time I ever really use it is when I'm pulling my 25' pontoon boat.

After retrieving my boat from storage in April of this year and taking the boat home, the engine light came on and the truck started running rough. After changing the spark plugs, the plug to the number 4 cylinder was burnt so bad that the electrode at the bottom was actually burnt off.

To make a long story short, my brother took my truck to a Ford dealer in Louisville, KY (I live in SC) to have a compression check done. Obvisouly, something was wrong with the number 4 cylinder.

I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealership and he stated the engine had a burnt valve and seat, therefore, I needed to replace the head. Total cost of this repair job is going to be $3,450.00 for an engine that only has 56,000 miles on it.

The truck would only be worth $4000 -$5000 with a "good" engine, and now I have to spend $3,450.00 just to keep it running!

This is the only Ford I've ever owned and if this is any indication of their reliability and dependability, I'll never own another Ford product as long as I live!
Ford Freak

Quarryville, PA

#37 Jun 27, 2007
Guys and Gals.... I am new to this site, due to Google. I purchased a 1996 P71 Crown Vic with 97,000 miles and all of a sudden, it smokes when idleing more than a couple of minutes. Yes, water does slightly come out of the exhaust, but it doesnt seem to be using coolant. Wouldnt it smell like glycol? It runs fine, but smokes. Im not sure what viscosity the oil was, but I can switch it to 10-30. I saw the comments on the MAF sensor but I am curious how it can cause white smoke from the exhaust.

So you mechanics still think I should clean the MAF sensor and change the oil viscosity?
Greg

Warner Robins, GA

#38 Aug 14, 2007
I have a problem almost like that would love some help 1998 f150 4.2 replaced wires coil pack and plugs code misfire #2 can not get it to stop missing on # 2 any suggestions, does not miss on higher rpms no coolant leak.
Mike L G

San Diego, CA

#39 Aug 26, 2007
My 1976 E-250 (351 W; C-6) was absolutely trouble-free for well over 300k miles. Reading your forum has made me hesitant to buy another; a 1998 with a "Triton V-8". Is anyone familiar with the statistics?... what are the odds of getting a good one? I suspect that, if I read forums on other mfg's, I'd end up with a mule.
fred

Powell River, Canada

#40 Sep 29, 2007
I have a 2005 F150 4x4 KingCab with a 4.6L engine 60,000 kml on it when i start in the morning i get a blue puff of smoke but not every time is this normal i still have 10,000 k waranty left

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Ford Is Right In Choosing Not To Reboot Thi... Jun 24 pchaneyfordranger 1
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) Jun 16 truckinF150_2007 55
reflection 2015ford f150 Jun 13 jim 1
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Jun 11 StephenParaski 1,347
News 10 Questions For Top Truck Challenge 2015 Compe... Jun 3 white skinned pa... 1
2000 f-150 4x4 front axle question (Jan '08) Jun 1 Bubsalois 26
2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder (Dec '07) May '15 stevieray1 112
More from around the web