5.4 3V Spark Plugs
ford

AOL

#21 Jan 22, 2007
Frank wrote:
Nope?
Well if you don't get the point I will try once more.A ford mechanic that was aware of the problem broke off #8 plug. The service manager called their Ford rep he told the dealer to charge me to replace the cylinder head. All my conversations with the dealer were polite. They were helpful but the fact remains they broke the plug due to a design flaw. Ford will not compensate them so they are trying to get it from me.This is simply Wrong!Ford has no intention of owning up to this problem as the cost will cause them to tank.

“Complete Spark Plug Repair ”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Wayne, IN

#22 Jan 22, 2007
ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you don't get the point I will try once more.A ford mechanic that was aware of the problem broke off #8 plug. The service manager called their Ford rep he told the dealer to charge me to replace the cylinder head. All my conversations with the dealer were polite. They were helpful but the fact remains they broke the plug due to a design flaw. Ford will not compensate them so they are trying to get it from me.This is simply Wrong!Ford has no intention of owning up to this problem as the cost will cause them to tank.
If you need some help removing the plug, without removing the cylinder head, please visit www.pgsparkplugrepair.com
Ralph

Detroit, MI

#23 Jan 23, 2007
Ford Spark Plug Repair wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need some help removing the plug, without removing the cylinder head, please visit www.pgsparkplugrepair.com
How does that link help? It's talking about repairs for the 1997-2004 plug blowout problem.

----------

Complete Mobile Repair Solution
PG specializes in Ford Triton blown spark plug repairs for the V8/V10 engines found in model year 1997 through 2004 F-Series trucks, Expeditions, and Excursions.
We offer an alternative to removing, machining, and rethreading the cylinder head on these aluminum cylinder head vehicles.
PG Spark Plug Repair offers two "over the fender" repairs:
1) Mobile Repair Solution at your location, including travel and insert installation to quickly get you back on the road.
2) Tool Rental for the "do-it-yourself" mechanic, including the tools, insert, and tricks/tips to effectively complete the repair.
We use a custom aluminum insert that completely replaces the original spark plug's tapered seat, without removing the head.
This is not a temporary, or Heli-Coil insert, it is a permanent repair of the cylinder head, for a fraction of service center or dealer price.
Keep PG in mind as THE repair solution.
*90 day warranty on all labor*
Visa / MC accepted.
Call Phil for more information
Contact Information
Email :
Phone :
(***)***-*
Address :
Fort Wayne
Indiana

“Complete Spark Plug Repair ”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Wayne, IN

#24 Jan 24, 2007
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>
How does that link help? It's talking about repairs for the 1997-2004 plug blowout problem.
----------
Complete Mobile Repair Solution
PG specializes in Ford Triton blown spark plug repairs for the V8/V10 engines found in model year 1997 through 2004 F-Series trucks, Expeditions, and Excursions.
We offer an alternative to removing, machining, and rethreading the cylinder head on these aluminum cylinder head vehicles.
PG Spark Plug Repair offers two "over the fender" repairs:
1) Mobile Repair Solution at your location, including travel and insert installation to quickly get you back on the road.
2) Tool Rental for the "do-it-yourself" mechanic, including the tools, insert, and tricks/tips to effectively complete the repair.
We use a custom aluminum insert that completely replaces the original spark plug's tapered seat, without removing the head.
This is not a temporary, or Heli-Coil insert, it is a permanent repair of the cylinder head, for a fraction of service center or dealer price.
Keep PG in mind as THE repair solution.
*90 day warranty on all labor*
Visa / MC accepted.
Call Phil for more information
Contact Information
Email :
Phone :
(***)***-*
Address :
Fort Wayne
Indiana
Thanks Ralph. Whether it's a blown plug or a broken plug, PG Spark Plug Repair can put your vehicle back on the road. Check out Chris Ruiz's post in the "Expedition Forum".
RET

Boca Raton, FL

#25 Jan 29, 2007
Ford Spark Plug Repair wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Ralph. Whether it's a blown plug or a broken plug, PG Spark Plug Repair can put your vehicle back on the road. Check out Chris Ruiz's post in the "Expedition Forum".
PG Spark Plug Repair - you CANNOT fix this problem with your TimeSert or similar insert, so please stop posting. While I'm sure you've fixed many spark plug problems, this problem has nothing to do with the threads in the head. If you don't know anything about the problem, then don't post misleading information. Thank-you.
David

Philadelphia, PA

#26 Feb 8, 2007
I have a 2005 F-150 with a 5.4L. engine (17,800mi.)that had an injector stick and dump a REAL load of fuel into the exhaust system, so says the Ford service mechanic. It happened with an initial subtleness, then really happened full tilt. The truck could not get out of it's own way. Anyone else experience this? Do I need to be overly concerned re: Oxygen sensors or cat converter - anything else?

Third Ford engine in 27 years I had problems with (351Mcu.in.(connecting rod through side of engine at 76K), 3.8L, 64K mi.,(lost engine - head gasket w/ major dump of coolant throughout system), now this. Much as I like Ford.....
Willie

Bothell, WA

#27 Mar 5, 2007
Hey just so you know watch out cause on our ford it through the spark and now I need to get a new head.
Rbrown

Erie, PA

#28 Apr 17, 2007
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Rex, I know California has a lot of idiots but the weather is always nice.
You are right about Ford and some of the problems but not everyone has a bone to pick with ford. If you read some of these posts people are trying to do stuff to these trucks that hey are not meant to do. They get the truck new and change everything, the chip them, they change the air intakes, the start messing with things they don't understand. Then they blame ford that the thing is broken... Some of these guys can really mess up these new motors. The engineers at ford or any other auto maker design the motors to run with stock parts and all the parameters are set for that. In this case we are talking about Pickup's they are made for hauling and everyday use. but if you read, these guys around here sound as if they race them. The best thing to do is contact ford in a civil tone of voice, and let them know what has happened to your truck and ask them for some type of resolution. It may be a design flaw, but they may be able to come up with some solutions of what their responsiblity is to take care of this. I would use words to the effect of "Safe, Safety, Hazarrd, Fire, when communicating with ford. These types of words, not insults will get a better response from them. They need time to correct the problem. I know that it doesn't fix your trucks but it's a start. Good luck!
Well, there are alot more Plug Problems out there than most people can even imagine. I have a 2004 F150 SCab 5.4L with 110k miles on it. It is 100% stock and has been maintained by Ford up until 100k miles. This is the 2nd plug change this thing has had and talk about problems. Right now my truck is sitting with the intake completly off among other things. I am attempting to remove the exhaust pips now so I can remove the Heads with the exhaust headers still attached to minimize "Normaling" or warping. It started with attempting to change the plugs, all was fine and followed Ford's TSB to the letter including useing Aero-Kroil Penitrating fluid to soak the plugs. They sat soaking for 6 hours before the attempt to remove them. After working Plug #5 back and forth and letting them soak an additional 2 hours, I loosened plug #5 just to have the socket head come out leaving the ceramic and grounding probe behind. Needless to say I called my buddy who works as a tech at the local Ford Dealer. He came over and attempted to remove plug #6 and snapped it right in half, well after about another 4 hours all 8 plugs had broken in half leaving the grounding probe and half of the Porcalin still in the head. Now we have to remove the heads, remove the broken plugs and reassemble. The estimated cost is going to be right around $1000 if we do not have to replace the heads or Exhaust Manifolds, in which case will be around $4000. Even the Technician could not believe the hassle that wqe are going through just to change out 8 spark plugs (Autolite) that cost $10 each unless you purchase Motorcraft Plugs that run $20 each. So, if I need to replace the heads I am looking at replacing them with HI-Performance ones for a 5.4L 3v Mustang along with Intakes, pullies, Vharge Motion Control Plates and more. Heck the Extended Warrenty is gone, I might as well enjoy it.
Dan

Edinburg, TX

#29 Jul 18, 2007
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Rex, I know California has a lot of idiots but the weather is always nice.
You are right about Ford and some of the problems but not everyone has a bone to pick with ford. If you read some of these posts people are trying to do stuff to these trucks that hey are not meant to do. They get the truck new and change everything, the chip them, they change the air intakes, the start messing with things they don't understand. Then they blame ford that the thing is broken... Some of these guys can really mess up these new motors. The engineers at ford or any other auto maker design the motors to run with stock parts and all the parameters are set for that. In this case we are talking about Pickup's they are made for hauling and everyday use. but if you read, these guys around here sound as if they race them. The best thing to do is contact ford in a civil tone of voice, and let them know what has happened to your truck and ask them for some type of resolution. It may be a design flaw, but they may be able to come up with some solutions of what their responsiblity is to take care of this. I would use words to the effect of "Safe, Safety, Hazarrd, Fire, when communicating with ford. These types of words, not insults will get a better response from them. They need time to correct the problem. I know that it doesn't fix your trucks but it's a start. Good luck!
What do any of the modifications you've listed have to do with a faulty head design that only had 5 threads for the spark plugs and hold moisture inside so it's sure to corrode? If you go looking for 5.4 spark plugs on the internet you'll find not only are they difficult to get out properly but a bunch of them are popping out on their own and Ford is trying to not honor warranty and make it the customers fault when it happens.
brad

New Caney, TX

#30 Jul 25, 2007
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 V8 3 valve SOHC 2x4. 160,000 miles. 3 of the 8 plugs are stuck in the heads. Nut came out and left the ceramic and grounding probe. We'll keep you posted.
John

Canada

#31 Sep 2, 2007
I work at a mine in northern Canada and we ran into the same problem as you guys. In one truck with 30,000kms 7 out of the 8 came apart when we tried to take them out leaving the ceramic in the head. We found a way to take them out without alot of work though. First you have to break the ceramic out as much as you can, then get a long punch with a point on it ant start chipping away at the ceramic inside the steel cup still stuck in the head. Make sure you keep blowing the ceramic out with compessed air so it does not get into the engine though. When you have some of it out (about a 1/4 inch or so) you tap the ceramic into the cup a little (about another 1/4 inch or so)do not punch it in so much that it goes into the cyl though. When you have done this get a 3/8" starting tap and a tap socket and start to tap the steel cup, then use a bottoming tap to finnish it off. Get a piece of 3/8" allthread and screw it into the tapped threads, get a piece of pipe to put over the allthread and a washer to put onto that. Get a thrust bearing to put onto the washer another washer on that and a nut onto the allthread now use this as a puller to pull the cup and remaining ceramic out of the head.
Ralph

Dumfries, VA

#32 Oct 11, 2007
Here check this out and NO you can't blame engine mods for this issue. Click on episode 26
http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php...
fgkuyf

Hattiesburg, MS

#33 Nov 11, 2007
guygkyt
machanic in tex

United States

#34 Dec 19, 2007
look you are all right and wrong most are morons "YES" 05 to 08 ford 5.4 and 4.6 motors do have a prob with a poor "spark plug desighn" not a head prob it is a 3 peice plug and motocrft will revise a new plug buttttt in the mean time the best advice i can give u to get the old plugs out is decarbon your eng. several times prior to pulling them and try to pull them out warm it will REDUCE NOT CURE the risk of braking the electrode breaking off ford techs are doing every thing from lifting the cab to removing heads to extract the broken plugs
Sally Irons

Niles, MI

#35 Dec 28, 2007
The spark plug problem is a real deal. A small company has designed and developed a tool that has fixed the broken plug problem.Once the plug breaks off (which it will due to a bad design) this tool definitely is a fix. Also I would like to add a little message to the fellow who likes to insult people, that this is truly a bad problem facing all good mechanics and if you go to a few dealerships, I'm sure the techs there would be glad to inform you all about it.These plugs are in all 5.4 3V engines from 2004/2008. If you would like more info on the plug extractor go to www.microprototypellc.com.By the way, Fords tool answer, doesn't solve the problem.
PHIL BAQUERA

Fresno, CA

#36 Jan 5, 2008
that's a ford. try a chev. i own a 1974 i am trying to wear out and can't .
Mike

Moultrie, GA

#37 Apr 11, 2008
It is not a issue of engine design but the two piece Motorcraft plug that come apart. Antisieze compound and new single piece design plug will allieviate the problem. Ford should correct any problems in the field. They are having the same problem on the Mustang Gt with the %.$ 3V heads.
Farrel

AOL

#38 Apr 21, 2008
My 2006 f-150 with 5.4 L has been at the local Ford dealer for 3 days with them attempting to get the plugs out. So far they have managed to get 7 out. This is crazy. Ford needs to step to the plate and help us poor Ford customers out or next time we will be "lifetime warranty Dodge customers".
Chris

San Antonio, TX

#39 Jun 19, 2008
New TSB # 08-7-6
Tuck

New Albany, OH

#40 Jul 7, 2008
ford wrote:
YES YOU CAN LET THE PROS DO IT IF THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL $200 IF NOT $2000.BAD DESIGH. SPARK PLUGS SHOULD NOT BREAK OFF IN THE HEAD WHEN CHANGED AT THE CORRECT INTERVAL. OH DID I MENTION THE $2000 WAS ON ME?
We have just had that exact problem! We took our F150 to a dealership to have the spark plugs changed and they broke EVERY ONE...now we have to pay $1000 for a defective product the Ford put in their trucks!! Do you know of any class action suits on this???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) May 14 Tazzerak 60
Pcm fuse issue on forld F-150 4.2 May 13 Cissy2032 1
blown pcm fuse on 98 f150 with 4.2 (Aug '07) May 13 Cissy2032 19
Rough Idle on 2003 F-150 5.4L (May '06) May 10 Josh 300
ford f150 v8 2002 May 10 mvjohnson 1
2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder (Dec '07) Apr 28 pops 114
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr 25 more of 1
More from around the web