2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder
new chevy man

Marion, OH

#63 Jan 22, 2012
sell that junk
Lance

United States

#64 Jan 26, 2012
I have replaced all plugs and coils and o2 sensers my 01 5.4 still runs like crap and dose it all the time and the same codes come up same as before I replased everything any ideas
grammie

Halethorpe, MD

#65 Jan 28, 2012
My truck runs fine until it gets up to 4000 rpms. should i replace the injector next?
lifted 150 wrote:
My05 lariat misses and shakes tried coil plug and injector nothing worked :( my mechanic thinks broken valve or timing chain????? Weird thing is i put lucas gas treatment in and it helps some??? Any ideas???
Mike

Portland, OR

#66 Jan 30, 2012
Hi Gang,

Little story here. Bought my 2000 F150 brand new in sunny calif. Never a problem with misses down there. Get up to Portland ORegon and every winter the check engine comes on and it starts missing. After several $300 trips to the dealerships and shops I finally had a mechanic friend with the same truck explain it to me. DOnt go 100,000 on the plugs ..maybe 80,000. Use a torque wrench on them. When you change the plugs ... change the boots too. And when it misses ....run it until the check engine light comes on ...go and read the code ... go to that cylinder and take the cop and boot off ... blow out the water, clean out the cop and boot ...put her back together and enjoy a fine running truck. I have been doing this a couple times every winter now for over 8 years.
Curt

Redwood City, CA

#67 Feb 13, 2012
Mike - Will it dry out on it's own? I am not a mechanic by any means. Is it something I can do on my own?

Thanks.
Curt

Redwood City, CA

#68 Feb 13, 2012
Mike wrote:
Hi Gang,
Little story here. Bought my 2000 F150 brand new in sunny calif. Never a problem with misses down there. Get up to Portland ORegon and every winter the check engine comes on and it starts missing. After several $300 trips to the dealerships and shops I finally had a mechanic friend with the same truck explain it to me. DOnt go 100,000 on the plugs ..maybe 80,000. Use a torque wrench on them. When you change the plugs ... change the boots too. And when it misses ....run it until the check engine light comes on ...go and read the code ... go to that cylinder and take the cop and boot off ... blow out the water, clean out the cop and boot ...put her back together and enjoy a fine running truck. I have been doing this a couple times every winter now for over 8 years.
Mike - Will it dry out on it's own? I am not a mechanic by any means. Is it something I can do on my own?

Thanks.
chug

United States

#69 Feb 21, 2012
2001 f150 v8 4.6L
#6 misfire and blowout. replacing all 7 other plugs and coils #2 & #3. gotta be some crap ford did wrong in those engines. it was bucking up hills and felt like fuel injector issues before all of the real issues were discovered. 👎
Darin

Houston, TX

#70 Mar 8, 2012
I've had the same trouble with my 2001 f-150 4.6L It has happened a couple of times. The first time was on a cross country trip in DC. That time I replaced all the boots and plugs and it worked fine. A few months ago it happened again. This time I just took the offending plug and boot apart and cleaned everything out well. It has worked fine. I will just keep taking it apart and drying it out until that doesn't work. Then I will look at replacing the coil.

2001 F-150
4.6 L
K&N air
Curt

Redwood City, CA

#71 Mar 8, 2012
Darin wrote:
I've had the same trouble with my 2001 f-150 4.6L It has happened a couple of times. The first time was on a cross country trip in DC. That time I replaced all the boots and plugs and it worked fine. A few months ago it happened again. This time I just took the offending plug and boot apart and cleaned everything out well. It has worked fine. I will just keep taking it apart and drying it out until that doesn't work. Then I will look at replacing the coil.
Any chance you can provide instructions?
Mike

Orlando, FL

#72 Mar 20, 2012
I have a 2003 ford f150 it started running rough so I had it tested and they said its the number 8 cylinder misfiring .I already had the plugs changed maybe 6 to 7 months prior so I figured its either the plug or coil, since I have replaced most of them at the shop but didnt know which ones,so i thought just get a coil and a plug that should cover it , When I took out the coil my plug well is full of oil , any recomendations? i hate to start tearing things down and not have an idea of what the problem could be. Thanks for any help
estevan m

United States

#73 Apr 5, 2012
I have a 01 fors likghtning took it to autozone said cylinder 3 misfyre took it to the shop spark plug coils everything was good also injector i checked compresiion and had any so i took it a part and its a piston still in the shop
mane

Duluth, GA

#74 Apr 24, 2012
i have a 2001 f-150 and it has a misfire in the #6 cylender,,,i change plugs,wires and coil pack reset the code like 10 times and it pop up everytime with same code misfire #6,,swap ingectors ,resewt code and come again #6 misfire,,any ideas please please please
mane

Duluth, GA

#75 Apr 24, 2012
i have an 2001 ford f-150 with misfire in #6,,change spark plugs reset code and pop up again,,,change wires and coil pack reset code and it came again,,swap ingectors reset code and it came again same code misfire in #6,,,,,,any ideas please,help please
Steve

Tyngsboro, MA

#76 Apr 24, 2012
Hi - I chimed in a few years ago on this thread. I have a 2001 F150 5.4. After the same misfiring issue (only when it rained out) and replacing wires and coils, my mechanic found that it was a bad wire in the harness from Cyl 8 to the computer. What he did was pull some of the harness loom back to expose the wires then put it in his shop at night, turned out all the lights until it was pitch black, started the truck and looked at the harness. Sure enough, there was a very light flickering on a wire. He made the repair and I haven't had any issues since - truck runs like a top in any weather! You never know, you might have the same issue. Good Luck!
Misty

Idaho Falls, ID

#77 Apr 27, 2012
I have a 98 f150 same problem. Took it to 3 dealerships same thing spark plugs and coils. When it happened again I took it to a little hole in the wall place, the problem was the hoses up above 3,4,7 and 8 cylinder were dry rotted and leaking down into them he replace the hoses for 50 bucks. Ok that was 5 years ago. No problem since.
Hope this helps
Paul

La Marque, TX

#78 Jul 2, 2012
Same problem on #4. Put new Accel coil on and Extreme Performance Autolite Plug in. Ran great. Slight misfire again. Everytime pull coil and wire, some water. Flushed engine and new antifreeze. This time 1/4 teaspoon antifreeze around bottom of plug. Starting to think maybe an intake coolant leak from gasket. Anyhow as long as there's no water around base of plug, runs good. Need to find out if a leaking intake gasket in that area will do this. If so maybe add some Blue Devil engine sealant.
Paul

La Marque, TX

#79 Jul 2, 2012
Same problem on number 4. Starting to think there is an intake coolant leak flooding plug hole.
marc

United States

#80 Oct 7, 2012
had my spark plugs changed over weekend now my 04 f 150 is misfiring the codes is reading #8 cylinder what could be wrong
Harles Cone

Denver, CO

#81 Nov 13, 2012
Guys I really appreciate all the info in this thread. Just saved a couple hundred bucks by going to Autozone and having them do a diagnostic test for me. Cylinder #6 was mis-firing. I changed the COP (coil over plug) on my own in about 30 minutes and the truck runs great again. Total out-of-pocket was 62 including dielectric grease for the boot/plug.

So sweet
ken j

Sackville, Canada

#82 Dec 4, 2012
had 2001 for 400k so far n every plug boot coil replaced still shakes,had spark plug blow and beat up threads possibly put hole in piston .after all that now having to replace head and piston not happy no more ford for me!.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keyless Entry Master Code (Jul '06) Nov 21 ed717521c 144
2000 f-150 4x4 front axle question (Jan '08) Nov 17 Guardrail72 30
Cold Air Intake Problem Whinning Noise (Dec '06) Oct '17 Cdy bn l 52
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Oct '17 Imagination 1,369
97 F150 4.6l intermittent rough idle (Dec '07) Sep '17 Justin-Time 23
2006 F150 king ranch 5.4l 4x4 has a miss fire t... (Mar '17) Sep '17 Justin-Time 3
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) Aug '17 linwoodgroup 68
More from around the web