2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder
edz

Cincinnati, OH

#43 Apr 20, 2011
i've posted on here multiple times with this issue. i'm convinced that it's moisture. if you can stick thru it, the issue will *DRY* out and run fine again until it rains again. a guy i know has the same truck with the 5.4 - he swears by some petroleum or some type of "goop" that gets put inside the coil that is supposed to stop the water from entering into the plug. check into it
frank

Richmond, VA

#44 Apr 21, 2011
spray w-40 in the boot this will keep moisture out
jaime

Rockland, MA

#45 May 4, 2011
ok mine is fixed..2 coil packs and 2 plugs..if you go through the effort of taking the pack out just replace the plug..don't try to re-gap it...i went to my local auto parts store and for free they checked wich cillinders were misfiring..52$ per coil...your choice on plugs...short money on plugs...by the way the plugs are deep...way deep..i cut half the rubber out of my plug socket so it would release after i put the new one in,
jaime

Rockland, MA

#46 May 4, 2011
edz wrote:
i've posted on here multiple times with this issue. i'm convinced that it's moisture. if you can stick thru it, the issue will *DRY* out and run fine again until it rains again. a guy i know has the same truck with the 5.4 - he swears by some petroleum or some type of "goop" that gets put inside the coil that is supposed to stop the water from entering into the plug. check into it
it's not moisture...bad coil pack...and if you can get that out replace the plug..wd40 only a temp fix
chris

Everett, WA

#47 May 5, 2011
how do i figure out which coil is shot on my 5.4 2001 f 150, is there an easy way to diagnosis it?
edz

Cincinnati, OH

#48 May 12, 2011
jaime wrote:
<quoted text> it's not moisture...bad coil pack...and if you can get that out replace the plug..wd40 only a temp fix
i believe that moisture is causing the coil pack to go bad. my issue is - if the coil is bad and causing my truck to jump and sputter at highway speeds for days at a time, what causes it to correct it self and run completely normal again for a great extended period of time?
CountryMan

United States

#49 May 23, 2011
Finally my 99 f150 5.4L is fixed!!!! Mine was jumping an sputtering bad. It was a cracked coil boot, one bad fuel injector, ALL my plugs were black as tar an one of them looked as if it had been ran over a few times. Replaced all plugs with MOPAR plugs an it runs like a dream. The mechanic that fixed mine only puts MOPAR in these triton motors. U can buy just a coil boot at NAPA for 4 bucks an change. Hope this helps someone
Gary Neal

Salt Lake City, UT

#50 May 26, 2011
You might want to look into fixing your fast fuel injection. I had the same problem and it cost me a lot of money because I didn't fix it in time. http://dfperformance.com
joe

Toronto, Canada

#51 Jun 8, 2011
200 ford taurus. Engine hesitates and engine light flashes. engine light constantly on. had it fixed 3 times, each time drive away and next day same thing.

CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE
this has been going on for 2 year and almost 1500 bucks later...just had fuel injector changed 2 days ago, drove away no engine light on, halfway home started again. coil pack has been replaced twice. was told they changed the wrong coil pack the 1st time.
any suggestions
Cock

Eddyville, KY

#52 Jun 14, 2011
hating my f-150 wrote:
Just had the same thing happen 3 weeks ago, dead fire in #6. The dealer installed a coil & cap for $320 and sent me on my way.
Yesterday it started doing the same thing, and they say it's #5.
If this is a part defect , does that mean I'm looking forward to 6 more in the near future?
Probably but thats cheaper than a trans swap with a chevy
jaime

Rockland, MA

#53 Jun 20, 2011
edz wrote:
<quoted text> i believe that moisture is causing the coil pack to go bad. my issue is - if the coil is bad and causing my truck to jump and sputter at highway speeds for days at a time, what causes it to correct it self and run completely normal again for a great extended period of time?
mine did same thing..i went to autozone..they will plug in for free and tell you wich cillinder/cillinders are misfiring..i replaced plug and coil on #5 and it ran better..didn't have time for #1 for 3 weeks later but #1 ran good some days and bad others..also check the molex connectors for corrosion..
jaime

Rockland, MA

#54 Jun 20, 2011
chris wrote:
how do i figure out which coil is shot on my 5.4 2001 f 150, is there an easy way to diagnosis it?
autozone and other parts stores will plug the machine into your computer for free and tell you wich ones are misfiring
richc

Montague, Canada

#55 Jun 20, 2011
2002 triton v8 4.6 scab, 3rd time in shop replaced coils etc another $1200
two months ago ,guess what? shaking ,misfire as apply gas ,guess its back to shop tomorrow any other thoughts selling truck not an option,or would buy horse.
Fista

Tampa, FL

#56 Sep 10, 2011
5.4 triton engine missing the 1997 e-250 had not been used in 2yr and prior to that it ran fine and this is not a gas problem. OBDI said 4 coil were bad . i then changed all 8 coils and spark plugs but it did not help?
Justin

Temecula, CA

#57 Oct 25, 2011
$250 -$300 to replace a coil? Are you people nuts? Those coils are $40-$50 at the auto store ($30 online) and it's a single power plug and a single screw to replace.

Unplug coil
Unscrew coil
remove it, replace with new one
Screw in coil
Plug in coil

Takes about 1 minute max and 10 minutes on the back cylinders. You people are getting ripped off by the dealer and your mechanics.

On a side note. Sunrise Ford in Fontana California claims they need to DROP THE ENGINE in order to replace the 4 and 8 plug on a 5.4 (2001). Damn crooks!

Research before even going to the dealer....always!
Ga Penny

Pooler, GA

#58 Nov 14, 2011
new cops,plugs,boots,spring,and a set of injectors from junk yard.started misfiring when it was raining but now I'm having random misfiring all the time. We also tried sea foam gas treatment nothing working out at all.... Im wondering if its a compter problem. Any new suggestions?????Help..
new to ford

Waldron, IN

#59 Dec 29, 2011
where is #6 at?
edz

Cincinnati, OH

#60 Jan 7, 2012
just checking in. i haven't touched my coils or plugs in about 1.5 years. periodically the coils foul up and force the truck to sputter and jump. it runs REALLY rough for a couple of days. and then it's back to normal. if you can deal with the rough 2-3 days, it's worth ignoring as long as you know for sure it's a coil issue. i'm not spending the money on a 10 year old truck with 130K just to have the issue happen again and again and again.
grammie

Halethorpe, MD

#61 Jan 10, 2012
I have a 2006 F150 Lariat. and all the plugs where replaced because it was jerking and running rough. Now, i have a #3 misfire. So the coil pack for #3 was replaced, still misfires.#3 plug was repalced again still no change any suggestions?
Brian wrote:
Just had my 2001 F 150 in the shop today with the 4.6L engine and it was the same scenario as mentioned above with shuddering and misfiring of a cylinder.Had a new spark plug and coil replaced on #5 <front drivers side cylinder>. They warned me not to drive very long when this happens, as raw fuel will get to your catalytic convertors and fry them. A cost of about $2500 for two is not a nice repair bill with the coil overs and plugs ..argh! Cost me $76 for the coil over(C.O.P) and a plug and the scan, for the error code. With labour and taxs $210.00. There was also a pool of oil on the coil boot and around the plug and the mecahnic stated I'd would need a new valve gasket as that was where the oil was coming from and most likely would cause the same misfire and coil over plug to short again. I had just changed the oil myself in the truck a day before and assume the 20w/50 oil being so thin may have seaped thru?? I'm now going to check and replace all plugs myself and see if there are others with oil that needs to be aspirated out. I watched the mechanic and it was a was a pain to just get to the plug as the fuel rail has to be lifted and partially disassembled and you need a few extensions and a rubber booted spark plug wrench/socket to get the sucker out of there. Good luck to all with teh same scenario and don't drive very long after teh "Service Engine Soon/Engine Warning " light lights up!!
lifted 150

Salyersville, KY

#62 Jan 17, 2012
My05 lariat misses and shakes tried coil plug and injector nothing worked :( my mechanic thinks broken valve or timing chain????? Weird thing is i put lucas gas treatment in and it helps some??? Any ideas???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rough Idle on 2003 F-150 5.4L (May '06) Apr 26 BrandonL 299
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr 25 more of 1
2004 f150 xlt Apr 20 Yankee7728 1
misfire in number six cylinder 2002 ford 5.4 liter Apr 19 kirkdelong 1
Rear end gear ratio Apr 13 Millerguy05 1
f150 drivetrain vibration (Apr '08) Apr 12 Jiggs 59
News Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Mar '16 teddy c 1,357
More from around the web