2001 F-150 5.4 misfire on # 6 cylinder

Posted in the Ford F-150 Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

United States

#1 Dec 22, 2007
Suddenly, with no warning, my truck started to idle roughly. This continued at all speeds. I rented a diagnostic tester from Auto-Zone and ran a complete diagnostic test on it. The code p0306 cylinder 6 misfire detected. I tested the injector and the cop. Started to replace the plug and while doing so found the plug well to be completely full of oil. The plug was completly submerged. I thought I might have a leak in the valve cover gasket and went ahead and cleaned out the plug well and reassembled everything. Weny to test drive and it ran well for about 45 seconds then started to misfire again. I pulled the cop again and the plug well was again full of oil.Any idea what it could be and how to repair?
f150 4 life

Traverse City, MI

#2 Feb 29, 2008
try replacing the coil pack for that cylinder
Steve M

Lowell, MA

#3 Jun 8, 2008
billsteele wrote:
Suddenly, with no warning, my truck started to idle roughly. This continued at all speeds. I rented a diagnostic tester from Auto-Zone and ran a complete diagnostic test on it. The code p0306 cylinder 6 misfire detected. I tested the injector and the cop. Started to replace the plug and while doing so found the plug well to be completely full of oil. The plug was completly submerged. I thought I might have a leak in the valve cover gasket and went ahead and cleaned out the plug well and reassembled everything. Weny to test drive and it ran well for about 45 seconds then started to misfire again. I pulled the cop again and the plug well was again full of oil.Any idea what it could be and how to repair?
Hi, the same symptoms just happened to my 2001 F150. I failed inspection and they said cylinder 6 was misfiring. I will have my mechanic look at it this week. How did you end up fixing it?
Thanks
eric

Boynton Beach, FL

#4 Jul 9, 2008
ihave a 2000 f-150 with misfire changed plugs, plug drivers side up furthest to firewall oil in plug hole, still studders a little.
wes

United States

#5 Dec 16, 2008
i have a 2001 f150, and it has the same problems whenever it rains< or i hit big mud puddles... whenever i have those problems the only thing i find i can do is clean out the cylinder, and put it all back together. does any one know how to pretty much waterproof the cylinders w/o sealing the boot to the cyinder with silicone?
Chris

Moline, IL

#6 Jan 18, 2009
the 2001 F-150 is notorious for misfires pertaining to moisture and a failed "coil over plug". Each spark plug has its own individual coil that Ford wants to fix for you for around 300 bucks at a pop.

First off there is a lot of speculation that the coils are not actually bad but rather the 4 dollar rubber boot that NAPA sells.

They are suppose to be 100k coils but I have heard of multiple problems well before that mileage.

Ive learned to never spray my engine off with water and I have read of water that runs down the window and goes down the ground strap and drips onto the #4 cylinder which is passenger side against the firewall (closest to cab).

I am replacing my #1 coil tomorrow and I have to replace one every so often. It is apparent that it is a problem with the design though I know of no recall. My mechanic told me that if that rubber boot at the end of the coil has a pinhole, dry rot or is cracked that the spark generated by the coil will actually ground out on the engine causing a misfire and subsequent codes. So if you don't want to spend 70 bucks on the coil you can start with a 4 dollar boot from NAPA. There is a way to test the coil but I don't have that equipment or know what they use. It might be a simple resistance test for all I know but I don't know how many ohms they are suppose to read.

F150 Coil Misfire Recall boot 4.6 Triton V8 2001
thomas NC

United States

#7 Jan 21, 2009
triton4.6 Ihad two coil packs go bad on #5 cyl. now skipping and service engine light on again.THIS is a major problem with the coil at ford. also seems 5.4 tritons blow the plugs OUT bad.
hating my f-150

Hollister, CA

#8 Mar 13, 2009
Just had the same thing happen 3 weeks ago, dead fire in #6. The dealer installed a coil & cap for $320 and sent me on my way.

Yesterday it started doing the same thing, and they say it's #5.

If this is a part defect , does that mean I'm looking forward to 6 more in the near future?
emmanuel

Omaha, NE

#9 Mar 15, 2009
where is the #2 cylinder?
Baygirl

AOL

#11 Apr 4, 2009
emmanuel wrote:
where is the #2 cylinder?
facing the windshield,front to back passinger side # 1 2 3 4 drver side 5 6 7 8
SteveM

Rockville, MD

#12 May 11, 2009
Am dealing with the same issue on my 2001 F-150. Going on 4th Coil. Ran great for about 2 weeks until I drove it in a steady rain then started running rough again and light came on. Having my mechanic look at it again today for me. Did anyone find a good fix?
ChrisH

Batavia, OH

#13 Jun 17, 2009
I am having misfire problems cylinder #6 yesterday replaced coil and had light reset. ran fine till today same thing started acting up aganin same thing light came on. took coil back got new one and plug replaced it. when mechanic took it out he said there was moisture on coil whats causing this and is this the problem? reset the code drove off 10 min later acting up agin what can i do or whats going on someone polease help i have the 5.4!!!
Hank jr

Severna Park, MD

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Its your fuel injector. I had the same problem. I replaced the plugs, and was going to replace the boot since it was the easiest, but on a gut feeling about my my injector I replaced the injector on the misfiring cylinder and my truck runs like a champ.
Steve M

Tyngsboro, MA

#15 Jul 18, 2009
Finally got my truck back a few weeks ago. My mechanic had it for a month. It ended up being the harness from the computer to #8 coil. He soldered in a new line and it runs great now. No issues with the injectors for me.
Tizzle

Fuquay Varina, NC

#16 Sep 10, 2009
My 2001 F150 recently started shaking and would "kick" when you tried to speed up. My engine light came on not long after and I took it to the dealership. It was my #4 Coil. It was about $300 to fix, but it fixed the problem. That was about 5 months ago and my truck started doing the same thing again not too long ago. This time it was worse. I took it in and since my engine light wasn't on, they said to replace my fuel filter. I did that for about $50 at least and it helped for another 2 weeks. Then it started idling rough and would "kick" and "choke" really bad. My engine light came on. I took it in, but not to the dealership this time. I needed the other 7 coils replaced and my spark plugs were dirty as shit! I had just replaced my sparks plugs a few months prior to this. I had all of it replaced for $890! Talk about a pain in the ass.
ed z

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Oct 17, 2009
i have a '01 F150 4.6 V-8. it now has 103K. i've had 3 coils jobs (3 diff. individual replacements)and it just started riding rough again. it's funny too - it will ride horrible and clear itself up in a week or two. and it might start riding rough in 5 months. the one thing i noticed from all the other posts - its currently raining. although, i can't give much creedence to this idea (since we've had about 8" of rain in the last month) and it started the rough ride during a light mist. i'm fed up! i absolutely love my supercrew - but the coil/boot/plug problem is getting old and is impossible for a shade tree mechanic. so, sometime in the next week - i'll take it to the mechanic and tell him - "bad coil" and he'll call me back after they diagnose it and tell me "you're right" and then still charge me a friendly discounted rate of $250.
ed z

Cincinnati, OH

#18 Oct 21, 2009
****UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST******

well, true to form, my truck stopped riding rough. whatever tripped the engine light and started it running horrible stopped completely, 2 days ago. i did ABSOLUTELY nothing to it. no trip to the dealer and the hood was never popped. if it is indeed water/rain related - is there a chance that it dries out? and if it is water/rain related - is there a "sheild" or diverter to stop the water/rain from getting in?
SteveM

Rockville, MD

#19 Oct 21, 2009
hating my f-150 wrote:
Just had the same thing happen 3 weeks ago, dead fire in #6. The dealer installed a coil & cap for $320 and sent me on my way.
Yesterday it started doing the same thing, and they say it's #5.
If this is a part defect , does that mean I'm looking forward to 6 more in the near future?
Hi - If you're truck has at least 70K-80K on it, you're better off replacing them all at once. Expensive, but could avoid going back and forth to the shop, because they will all need to be replaced at some point anyway. In my case, it was a combo of coils and a frayed wire from the computer. Hopefully its just a coil issue for you. Good luck.
Ken

Mcallen, TX

#20 Oct 24, 2009
SummitRacing.com has 'em in Accel brand,$200 for a set of 8. Just replace them all
ed z

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Oct 27, 2009
Ken wrote:
SummitRacing.com has 'em in Accel brand,$200 for a set of 8. Just replace them all
I just checked out the site. thanks for the heads up. i'm going to take it to my mechanic and let them install it. hopefully this cures the problem for another 70K miles. thanks again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford F-150 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeep ponders switch to aluminum for next Wrangl... Thu ahtrac777 2
Ride & Drive: 2015 Ford Expedition Nov 14 JoannD 1
Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs (Jan '06) Nov 12 Jeff 1,342
Ford rolls out production of first aluminum F-150 Nov 11 Kevin 1
Detroit Manufacturing Systems to hire 200 for F... Oct 30 Tenetia 1
Ford f150 Throttle sticking open (Dec '06) Oct 28 Andy 7
97 F150 4.6l intermittent rough idle (Dec '07) Oct 26 Jtab 15

Ford F-150 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE