2004 Expedition rear A/C noise
plsatic gears suck

Pontiac, MI

#22 Jul 31, 2009
Same as above but I took the actuator apart and set the gears to a spot where they still had teeth then unplugged both. No more rear heat and lower air but never need it in Florida anyway
DallasTwinMom

Brownsville, TX

#23 Jul 31, 2009
Same problem on 2005 Expedition - photos?

I wish you guys could post some photos or link to photos on what to do. I'd LOVE to be able to fix it. It's so obnoxious.
darth cav

Houston, TX

#24 Aug 2, 2009
DallasTwinMom wrote:
Same problem on 2005 Expedition - photos?
I wish you guys could post some photos or link to photos on what to do. I'd LOVE to be able to fix it. It's so obnoxious.
if u just want the noise to stop...just lift the tray/cup holder on the pass side in the cargo area...there is a box about the size of a pack of cigs...reach in and unplug it like unplugging a lamp...that wont fix the broken item but it will stop the noise...to totally fix the issue and get everything working again just unbolt that same box...replace with the new one..rebolt it down and plug it in...the only "hard part" is gettin ur hand in there to replace the part..just unpluggin it couldnt be easier
Jason

Largo, FL

#25 Aug 2, 2009
darth cav wrote:
<quoted text>
if u just want the noise to stop...just lift the tray/cup holder on the pass side in the cargo area...there is a box about the size of a pack of cigs...reach in and unplug it like unplugging a lamp...that wont fix the broken item but it will stop the noise...to totally fix the issue and get everything working again just unbolt that same box...replace with the new one..rebolt it down and plug it in...the only "hard part" is gettin ur hand in there to replace the part..just unpluggin it couldnt be easier
If you're referring to the TXV, we have replaced that part and it fixed it for a few days, but then the noise started again and the cool air cutting in and out of the front and rear a/c. I was given a suggestion that it could be the dryer. Any thoughts on this? Is the dryer a dealer part, or can you get that at a parts store?
Tom Key

Houston, TX

#26 Aug 12, 2009
DaveT wrote:
I had a noise in my 2004 Ford Expedition's Rear A/C unit.. it sounded like a metronome.. clicking at a constant rate. It was the air blend door actuator.
The replacement part# is YL5Z19E616AA List price is $68 from the dealer.. I got it for $37 online and then price matching by the dealer. Taking apart the interior body panels is relatively easy once you buy the Ford service manuals ($75 on ebay).
How do you take the reat panel off to replace it?
Thanks
Tom Key

Houston, TX

#27 Aug 12, 2009
BobfromCA wrote:
I had clicking noise from rear air coming from rear panel under passenger side back window (2003 Expedition). Dealership charged $95 for part (blend door actuator) and $300 to install. Clicking stopped and air works. Just seemed like a lot of money for a fairly simple diagnosis and repair. I rarely use rear air... can't understand why it broke.
Hoe did you get to the part and how did you replace it?
Thanks,
Tom
bobfromca

Coachella, CA

#28 Aug 18, 2009
Tom Key wrote:
<quoted text>
Hoe did you get to the part and how did you replace it?
Thanks,
Tom
(2003 Expedition)
Dealer replaced it.... that was nearly a year ago. I've only used my rear air a handful of times since, but last month the clicking started again. Car is back at dealership as I type this. They just called and said the "rear floor bender actuator" is bad. They will replace the "tempature actuator" no charge (still under warranty from last year) and only charge $79 for part for "floor actuator" (new repair). I feel I am being taken advantage of - but have to go along with their diagnosis.
Nate

Gilbert, AZ

#29 Oct 24, 2009
My 2005 Expedition has been making this clicking / thumping noise too. Today I popped off the plastic tray and cup holder and was able to access the rear AC unit. An off white plastic box with numbers 2L2H-19E616-AA on it were clicking. I removed the box and opened it. The plastic gears inside were stripped thus making the clicking sound. Hearing how much this part costs I'm simply going to leave this out. The air still blows cold but only out of the top vents, not the floor (big deal). As for 2005 Expeditions, this is definately a do-it-yourself job; don't pay anyone to do this.
Adam in Texas

Grand Prairie, TX

#30 Nov 7, 2009
John Pope wrote:
I had the same problem... Replaced YL5H-19E616-AC in about 30 minutes with a 6MM wrench. It's the one on the side of the unit which controls whether it blows heat or cold (4 bolts, one connector and the post is shaped like the letter D)... Unfortunately, the one on top, 2L2H-19E616-AA, is also bad (4 bolts, post shaped like a plus symbol). In fact, it was the one making the most noise. The one on top splits the air either at your feet or coming out from above. The one on the side puts out heat. I took the old one apart, turned on the heat from up front and then used the gear/post to manually turn the heat on full blast. Then, I plugged in the new one, waited for it to cycle to what it though full blast was, matched it up with the screw holes, then attached it. By the way, you can just snatch the shelf off and then pull the cup holder out to gain access to the thing. It wasn't an easy fit, but I didn't have to take apart the whole side at least. Checker Auto had the part for around $46... worth it. The other one is easier to get to and has only 3 bolts (6MM again, of course).
Both of these parts had bits of plastic gears inside of them from where they had just chewed themselves apart.
It's a relatively simple self-fix project. Hope this helped!
This confirms my same problem. Once removed, is the heater sequence you explained necessary or can these parts just be reconnected? Now to search for the part online vs dealer.
2004 Expedition Owner

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#31 Nov 11, 2009
Have the same problem with 2004 exp. Wondering why Ford is not considering this as a recall. If there's only a way or possibillity to write Ford to convince them that it is manufactured defect it would be very helpful to all of us who having the same problem. I had mine in their shop more than 5 times until the warranty expired and of course dealer says it's no longer under warranty!
2005 expy owner

Dallas, GA

#32 Jan 23, 2010
We just had this problem start on our 2005 expedition with around 75k miles. We turned on the heat in the rear for the kids, and switched to the floor using the button on the overhead console. Within about 10 seconds the clicking started and I figured it was a blend-door motor (blend-door actuator). I took apart the side panel today and found the motor clicking. Unplugging it does stop the motor from trying to turn, but unless you have the blend door set where you want it, you'll have unwanted air blowing when you turn the rear heat/ac on. I removed my motor and inspected it, and the teeth are fine. The problem is that the motor isn't receiving a signal to stop once the blend door reaches the correct position. This is most likely a problem with the circuit board that the motor connects to, which is why replacing it alleviates the problem. It could, however, be the switch in the overhead console that switches between overhead and feet for the rear air, but I doubt it.

For those that have asked, the easiest method is to remove the cupholder and the package tray insert as you can do everything you need this way, although it's tight to get your hands & tools in there. If you want to go through removing the whole side panel, here is what you need to do:

1. remove the overhead rear trim panel at the top rear of the headliner (it just pops off)
2. remove the rear-most passenger side torx head bolt that holds the seat belt to the rear pillar
3. remove the upper and lower middle passenger door seat belt bolts (lower is a size 50 torx upper is an 11/16 nut)
4. remove middle passenger door lower trim panel (pops off)
5. on the C-pillar adjacent to the rear passenger seat, pop off the round plastic cap that is above the seat-belt; in the hole, remove the upper 5/16" bolt that is inside the C-pillar
6. remove rear jack storage cover lid (open, then push a little towards the seats, then slide straight up and it comes out
7. remove the rear lower trim panel (pops off)
8. take the black fabric that is under the jack, on the passenger side, and slide towards the center of the vehicle; you'll see a 5"x5" black plastic piece with a single bolt in the center. use a 5/16" socket to remove, then push forward and you'll see a phillips head screw in the center holding the plastic trim to the floor. remove the screw and set aside
9. at the rear passenger side, pull back the plastic trim (it'll start popping out of the retainer clips), look inside and disconnect the power-port wire (flat head screw-driver to push in on the little black tabs holding it to the cover); then, using the same screw driver, push in on the little side holding tab on each of the rear electric seat switches, and slide the wiring connectors off the switches.
10. take your time and slide the plastic side panel up and over out of the way so you can access the heat / ac unit & blend doors.
11. the blend door actuator that switches between floor and overhead is the white plastic box that is on top of the ductwork, adjacent to the window, in the forward-most position. There are three silver screws (5/16") that hold the actuator in place. Remove the screws, disconnect the harness clip, and replace.

Make sure that before you replace the actuator that you start the vehicle, turn on the air and the rear air, and press the switch that goes between floor and overhead.....then walk around to the passenger side and watch the motor cycle....if it constantly tries to move and never stops / or if it starts clicking, then it needs to be replaced.
danielle

Beaumont, TX

#33 Feb 5, 2010
2005 expy owner wrote:
We just had this problem start on our 2005 expedition with around 75k miles. We turned on the heat in the rear for the kids, and switched to the floor using the button on the overhead console. Within about 10 seconds the clicking started and I figured it was a blend-door motor (blend-door actuator). I took apart the side panel today and found the motor clicking. Unplugging it does stop the motor from trying to turn, but unless you have the blend door set where you want it, you'll have unwanted air blowing when you turn the rear heat/ac on. I removed my motor and inspected it, and the teeth are fine. The problem is that the motor isn't receiving a signal to stop once the blend door reaches the correct position. This is most likely a problem with the circuit board that the motor connects to, which is why replacing it alleviates the problem. It could, however, be the switch in the overhead console that switches between overhead and feet for the rear air, but I doubt it.
For those that have asked, the easiest method is to remove the cupholder and the package tray insert as you can do everything you need this way, although it's tight to get your hands & tools in there. If you want to go through removing the whole side panel, here is what you need to do:
1. remove the overhead rear trim panel at the top rear of the headliner (it just pops off)
2. remove the rear-most passenger side torx head bolt that holds the seat belt to the rear pillar
3. remove the upper and lower middle passenger door seat belt bolts (lower is a size 50 torx upper is an 11/16 nut)
4. remove middle passenger door lower trim panel (pops off)
5. on the C-pillar adjacent to the rear passenger seat, pop off the round plastic cap that is above the seat-belt; in the hole, remove the upper 5/16" bolt that is inside the C-pillar
6. remove rear jack storage cover lid (open, then push a little towards the seats, then slide straight up and it comes out
7. remove the rear lower trim panel (pops off)
8. take the black fabric that is under the jack, on the passenger side, and slide towards the center of the vehicle; you'll see a 5"x5" black plastic piece with a single bolt in the center. use a 5/16" socket to remove, then push forward and you'll see a phillips head screw in the center holding the plastic trim to the floor. remove the screw and set aside
9. at the rear passenger side, pull back the plastic trim (it'll start popping out of the retainer clips), look inside and disconnect the power-port wire (flat head screw-driver to push in on the little black tabs holding it to the cover); then, using the same screw driver, push in on the little side holding tab on each of the rear electric seat switches, and slide the wiring connectors off the switches.
10. take your time and slide the plastic side panel up and over out of the way so you can access the heat / ac unit & blend doors.
11. the blend door actuator that switches between floor and overhead is the white plastic box that is on top of the ductwork, adjacent to the window, in the forward-most position. There are three silver screws (5/16") that hold the actuator in place. Remove the screws, disconnect the harness clip, and replace.
Make sure that before you replace the actuator that you start the vehicle, turn on the air and the rear air, and press the switch that goes between floor and overhead.....then walk around to the passenger side and watch the motor cycle....if it constantly tries to move and never stops / or if it starts clicking, then it needs to be replaced.
your post was so helpful i just bought an 04 used from a one owner car lot and i was exploring the buttons and controls and happened to push the adjust button for rear floor or top and it started making that noise so i was worried unsure of the problem started searching on line and bamm here was your post its a releif to know its just that simple thank you
tango86

Brandon, FL

#34 Feb 21, 2010
I had the same problem (it started today) and after reading the previous posts; I unpluged the wire to the white box and the thumping stoped. The rear air only comes out of the roof vents but it sure beats taking it to the dealer. Thanks to those that posted this solution.
CCR

Palestine, TX

#35 Feb 24, 2010
Same problem in a 2003 Expedition
We replaced the rear door actuator and it fixed the problem. Since we had to order the part it took a couple days to come in so we unplugged the bad one and all thumping stopped.
Works great now! This was a fairly easy fix.
Scott

Palm Desert, CA

#36 Mar 22, 2010
I had the same problem. I found a similar actuator at the junk yard ($9) and used it for parts (gears). All the gears inside my old actuator had teeth missing. So I replaced the gear with the new ones. Here's the kicker...I noticed that no matter which position I have the selector on (ceiling or floor vents), the motor in the actuator is always turning. So there is constant pressure exherted against the gears. This seems odd. But when I re-assembled the actuator and put it all together, everything works great. However, I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until that continuous pressure on the gear teeth is going to cause one/some to break off. Considering how many people have had this problem, maybe it's a design flaw...where the motor never actually cuts-out, and this is causing the problems. Or does my system have another problem somewhere else? NOTE: The only way (I know) to tell if your actuator is doing the same thing as mine is to take it apart and plug it in with the top off. This allows the motor and gears to "pop" (not click or grind) letting you know if the motor is constantly engaged.
Beth

United States

#37 Apr 16, 2010
I have a 2004 Expedition with this problem too. Just today the dealer wanted to charge $426. to fix it. If it was a safety hazard they would have had a recall on this. Seems a little pricey for an obvious defect. I'm gonna go figure out how that tray comes out. Thanks to all for the info!!
Andy

Fresno, CA

#38 Apr 24, 2010
Same problem with 2003 Expedition. Had it repaired under Mfg warranty. 2 months later same thing happening again. Dealer repaired it under "loyal customer" but I had to pay for the part. I only use this to go to the slopes in the Winter and tow the WakeBoard boat in the Summer. Only outside Mfg;s warranty by 9k miles. 2 of the repairs were under Mfg warranty. Definately a design flaw. I agree that it should have a recall. Thanks for the step by step instructions and the part #. Going to tear it apart today. Might just unplug it cause I only use the A/C in the Summer. Just have to check if it's actually cold air if unplugged.
Andy

Fresno, CA

#39 Apr 24, 2010
Just took off the tray and identified that it was the side actuator. unplugged it. No more noise and A/C is full blast through the top vents!! Sweeeet!!! Now I just have to order the part and get it put in before Winter comes so the kids won't freeze when we hit the slopes. Thanks for the posts.
Ken

Pasadena, MD

#40 May 1, 2010
I have the same problem. Could you post an answer if you get one.
Morris

United States

#41 Jul 10, 2010
Lining up the side actuator.
I have taken the old actuator off, I unplugged noise stopped. Went to advanced auto parts, bought the part for about 49.00 dollars. Got home, plugged it in, stil n noise, all the air works good. However i cannot get the white post to fit back into the unit. It seems to stopped from something within the black box. I tried turning the temp dial, unsure if which onem since the back can be controlled by the control up front and in back. Any idea how to get this post in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 5.4 dies in reverse Nov 18 Jrm 1
2001 ford expedition electrical problems (Sep '07) Oct 29 Bighappy25 88
loss pf power when shifting to drive Oct '17 basslayer 1
1999 Expedition will not start - not crank (Sep '13) Oct '17 Bridgette Harris 23
2002 ford expedition sunroof won't close (Jun '08) Oct '17 Xtremelyfrank 27
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Oct '17 Slg 1,035
99 exped electrical problem when it rains (Jul '07) Sep '17 Jbubba1985 88
More from around the web