First Prev
of 5
Next Last
arch610

AOL

#1 Feb 6, 2008
When I put on my rear A/C I hear a knocking noise that seems to be located near the rear side window in the rear passanger side of the car. Any help on what this may be would be appreciated. Email ARCH610@aol.com

Thanks
Steve

Bakersfield, CA

#2 Feb 10, 2008
I had the same issue with the same year and model. That area is where the rear a/c motor is located. Luckily mine was still under warranty.
DaveT

Bastrop, TX

#3 May 12, 2008
I had a noise in my 2004 Ford Expedition's Rear A/C unit.. it sounded like a metronome.. clicking at a constant rate. It was the air blend door actuator.
The replacement part# is YL5Z19E616AA List price is $68 from the dealer.. I got it for $37 online and then price matching by the dealer. Taking apart the interior body panels is relatively easy once you buy the Ford service manuals ($75 on ebay).
Jacob T

United States

#4 May 27, 2008
DaveT wrote:
I had a noise in my 2004 Ford Expedition's Rear A/C unit.. it sounded like a metronome.. clicking at a constant rate. It was the air blend door actuator.
The replacement part# is YL5Z19E616AA List price is $68 from the dealer.. I got it for $37 online and then price matching by the dealer. Taking apart the interior body panels is relatively easy once you buy the Ford service manuals ($75 on ebay).
My 2003 Expedition just started making this knocking noise that is driving me nuts. Was the part easy to fix? Do you think it could be done without purchasing the service manual?
Edward

Carteret, NJ

#5 May 27, 2008
Jacob T wrote:
<quoted text>
My 2003 Expedition just started making this knocking noise that is driving me nuts. Was the part easy to fix? Do you think it could be done without purchasing the service manual?
I have the same noise in a 2004 I took out the tray next to window and pull wire from box.
So far OK
Sonya

Mount Pleasant, SC

#6 Jun 23, 2008
I have the same noise in my 2004 Ford Exp. what the heck is it? Is it a do it yourself project that anyone could do?
Joe T

Marietta, GA

#7 Jun 23, 2008
Jacob T wrote:
<quoted text>
Jacob, were you able to do this yourself? I am not real excited about doing the work but if not too hard will try it. thanks
brian

Arlington, TN

#8 Jul 3, 2008
Edward wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the same noise in a 2004 I took out the tray next to window and pull wire from box.
So far OK
Hey i pulled the white wire/clip and the noise stops but what does that wire do? Its there for some reason.
brian

Arlington, TN

#9 Jul 3, 2008
I have the same clicking noise in the rear passenger side pannel and the air works but the noise is driving me crazy... I also pulled the white wire clip and it stopped clicking and the air still works.
Arnie

Plano, TX

#11 Jul 30, 2008
I replaced the rear blend actuator and eliminated the noise. Unfortunately, the rear a/c still only blows out hot air (front one works great). What could be the problem? I only see one low-side refrigerant port under the hood, so I don't understand how the front can work fine and the rear not work at all.
Brookes4boys

Wilmington, NC

#12 Sep 11, 2008
I had to replace the rear door actuator due to the knocking noise, it was the actuator trying to change the air flow and not being able to. I also had to replace all the vacuum hoses for the A/C system,they had melted closed (???) and the air would only blow out of the front defrost holes not the actual passenger front or floor vents.
BobfromCA

North Hollywood, CA

#13 Oct 2, 2008
I had clicking noise from rear air coming from rear panel under passenger side back window (2003 Expedition). Dealership charged $95 for part (blend door actuator) and $300 to install. Clicking stopped and air works. Just seemed like a lot of money for a fairly simple diagnosis and repair. I rarely use rear air... can't understand why it broke.
MikeC

Kissimmee, FL

#14 Oct 19, 2008
DaveT wrote:
DaveT, was the issue with the controller breaking in a mechanical way, or just failing to work. Thanks, Mike C
John H

Prairieville, LA

#15 Dec 21, 2008
I have a 2004 Ford Expedition an have that same knocking noise in the rear when my ac is on an now when I have the front ac on my passenger floorboard gets soaked an its getting hard to crank I changed the filter an been treatin the gas,its one thing after another
John Pope

United States

#16 Dec 28, 2008
I had the same problem... Replaced YL5H-19E616-AC in about 30 minutes with a 6MM wrench. It's the one on the side of the unit which controls whether it blows heat or cold (4 bolts, one connector and the post is shaped like the letter D)... Unfortunately, the one on top, 2L2H-19E616-AA, is also bad (4 bolts, post shaped like a plus symbol). In fact, it was the one making the most noise. The one on top splits the air either at your feet or coming out from above. The one on the side puts out heat. I took the old one apart, turned on the heat from up front and then used the gear/post to manually turn the heat on full blast. Then, I plugged in the new one, waited for it to cycle to what it though full blast was, matched it up with the screw holes, then attached it. By the way, you can just snatch the shelf off and then pull the cup holder out to gain access to the thing. It wasn't an easy fit, but I didn't have to take apart the whole side at least. Checker Auto had the part for around $46... worth it. The other one is easier to get to and has only 3 bolts (6MM again, of course).

Both of these parts had bits of plastic gears inside of them from where they had just chewed themselves apart.

It's a relatively simple self-fix project. Hope this helped!
Tom

Arnold, MD

#17 Jan 18, 2009
I just discovered the same exact problem with my 2004 Expedition.

I ended up popping the tray out and the cup holder, and then also remover 4 or 5 screws on the main rear air housing and pried apart an inch or two. You can cleary see down inside where some little door/flap contraption is constantly trying to close and reclose. I then took off the actuator closest to the top YL5H-19E616-AC and took it in the house and inspected it and it obviously needs to be replaced.

I took the part over to the local Advance Auto Parts. They did not have it in stock, however they were able to order it for me. About $50 shipped.

Hope this helps.

As per the previous poster who said that you need to take all the panels off, you don't! Just use a short 6mm wrench or wratchet and be careful not to drop the screws down in the housing.
Jim

Meriden, CT

#18 May 17, 2009
The simplest fix is to pull the wire but I believe this will limit functionality as discussed above. I think the actuator controls whether you get air from the roof or floor. Mine is all roof.

I am not sure if I will be able to fix it but if you google the part number you will find an article on how someone rigged it to fix the gear with the stripped teeth which is the problem.

On mine, the one gear is missing teeth on the top half of the gear. I am gonna try to fix it. Bottom line is if you like to tinker, take yours apart and see if you think you can fix it. I think it can be done with a utility knife and a washer or two.

GL
Jim

Ps: Got mine off w/o removing the panel but it was a bit of a knuckle buster.
2005 ford expedition

North Olmsted, OH

#19 Jun 5, 2009
when my a/c is "on" and i start the truck, i hear a big thud like something is dropping out of the engine. what is that and can i fix it myself?
Chiefettes

Largo, FL

#20 Jun 11, 2009
2005 ford expedition wrote:
when my a/c is "on" and i start the truck, i hear a big thud like something is dropping out of the engine. what is that and can i fix it myself?
I have the same problem on my 05 exped. I would love to know how to fix it.
bill

Arvada, CO

#21 Jul 28, 2009
I was able to remove YL5H-19E616-AC and took it to the local Checkers store. However they were not able to locate what that part is called. they looked up the part number and could not locate the part. Could someone tell me what that part is called. Is it called a blend door actuator or what is the actual part name? Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2010 Expedition headrest (Feb '10) Thu JoannD 31
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Tue darrold 962
2003 Expedition electrical issues? (Jul '13) Sep 16 Garry 3
Transmission flush Sep 15 Pete from FLA 1
2001 expedition fuse problem (Nov '09) Sep 9 Mulleroni 24
Dave D Sep 6 dean 2
99 exped electrical problem when it rains (Jul '07) Sep 4 wendy boyer 65

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••