child safety lock rear passenger side
cj usa

Parrish, FL

#42 Sep 18, 2012
Just tried the WD-40 suggestion and it worked perfectly. Saved me money and time on repair. My 2000 Expedition has had this problem for years. Should have checked the web sooner.
Joel

Dandridge, TN

#43 Sep 29, 2012
Wd 40 worked for me. No need the take it apart.
MrsPalmer

United States

#44 Nov 1, 2012
Vanquishman wrote:
So glad there r other people with this problem too the left side back passenger door child locks itself and the right side door lock won't lock or unlock I have to do It manually
Wow, that is to funny. My 2000 Expedition does the same exact thing. The left, back passenger side door won't lock or unlock on its on (we have to do it manually) and the right, back passenger side door child lock keeps engaging automatically. This is such a headache. I will try the fixes and see if this helps.
ron

Fairfield, CA

#45 Nov 26, 2012
WD-40 worked like a charm.
Larry

Huntington Beach, CA

#46 Nov 28, 2012
Lubed it all up nice and wet works great
Xavier Osborne

Somerton, AZ

#47 Jan 24, 2013
I have a 2006 Ford Expedition E/B Editonand the door behind the driver has a broken door handle, on the outside, and cannot open door from inside the vehicle. Child safety lock is on. How would the easiest way possible to get the dor open?
Kyle

Tucson, AZ

#48 Apr 12, 2013
I have a 2001 ford expedition and both rear doors would not open from the inside. I could move the child lock switch up and down but I could still not open the doors from the inside. I removed the plastic trim from around the safety lever and sprayed WD-40 as recommended above and the locks now work great and the doors open fine from the inside, thanks for the help.
jill

Lawrence, MA

#49 May 22, 2013
I have the same problem for both back doors on1997 ford expedition but I will try the WD- 40 ............. lets see how this goes.
Finally

Titusville, FL

#50 Aug 25, 2013
It worked it worked. Thank you so much for giving me the WD-40 trick. I am sooooo super excited about this. And my dad thinks I'm a genius. LoL. Don't even bother to take off ur door panel. Just pop off the child safety plastic spray it with WD-40 and switch it on and off a few times and that's it. It works.
Doug

Edmond, OK

#51 Sep 28, 2013
Just tried the WD40. Are you kidding me, we've been living with both back doors of our 02 Expedition not opening from the inside for years. So embarrassing, easy fix and worked great. The passenger side would still work back to locked if you pop the handle instead of softly opening it. The back drivers door worked fine though. Easy fix just put a little rolled up electrical tape in the hole and it works fine. Wow. I'm so happy and mad at myself for putting it off for so long.
mike

San Jose, CA

#53 Jan 20, 2014
Hey ...stop ,before you do what i did... take both doors apart and compare...though i did find out where the problem was, and that guy was right ..! the child lock mechanism ..just spray wd-40 and move it up and down more than 20 times up/down and the handle back and forth ..if it doesnt work repeat it again ..mine worked after this money saving problem resloution.. thanks dude whoever found this out !,but i was very close too finding it !!thnks and your beer tonite should taste a little better , i know mine did!!
Love My Expedition

Clayton, NC

#54 Mar 10, 2014
I have a 2002 Expediton and this is a CONSTANT issue for me. Thanks for the advise I wil be sure to try it.
Letris

Texarkana, TX

#55 Mar 10, 2014
I have a 2001 Ford Expedition and both of mine are doing the same thing I will have to try the WD40. But I agree this is not a solid fix there should be a recall by FORD.
Kelley

Little Elm, TX

#56 May 12, 2014
To this day they still don't recognize the problem, but wd-40 worked...and saved me $200
tony

Temple, TX

#57 Jun 7, 2014
Rosemary wrote:
I have the same problem in my 2002 Ford Expedition - the child safety lock on the rear passenger seat locks on its own. Adult passengers cannot get out of that door without someone opening it from the outside. This is not only a pain, but it's a safety hazard for the person sitting in that seat, and for me, the owner.
I've tried to fix the problem by jamming up the opening with balled-up tape, but it still happens. Has anyone succeeded in having Ford fix this problem?
I have the same problem
Corey

Bakersfield, CA

#58 Jun 21, 2014
Rick wrote:
<quoted text>
Remove the plastic cover around the lock leaver. Spray a light penatrating oil (wd-40) in and around the lock leaver mechanisim and work the mechanisim up and down several times. This should free up the small gravity lock inside the mechanism.
that worked!!!
Doors work fine

Buford, GA

#59 Jul 23, 2014
I sprayed WD-40 inside the doors and movednit up and down several times. It worked perfectly and without taking apart the door.
ralphy608

Beloit, WI

#60 Jan 12, 2015
Using wd-40 definitely works just did my brothers 99 jus remove the child safety lock cover and spray all over then move the switch the lock on an off a couple of times an then yull notice one the the springs loosened up when u pull on the door handle from the inside
Jay Plank

Chicago, IL

#61 Jan 30, 2015
torey wrote:
2001 expedition rear passenger child safety lock is in unlock position and still won't open from inside?
Had the same problem had to take the door panel off discovered someone bad tried to open the door with the child safety luck engaged it bent a rod in the mechanism that opens time for I bent it back sprayed everything with a lubricant evening works now
ted

San Diego, CA

#62 Apr 18, 2015
Kevin wrote:
WD40 worked perfectly. One of child lock doors wouldn't even open. I thought something inside was bent. Lots of WD in the child lock, which has to be in the unlocked position. Good as new. It is 20 degrees out and it still worked.
It's good to know it's not just me who has that problem and that there is something we can do to fix it, I Wil try the ad, thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
97 Expedition park not engaging (Mar '08) Sun Phillip 32
2004 Ford Expedition XLT (rear) AC clicking sound (Apr '09) Aug 19 Miller 30
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Aug 16 Sandra G 1,034
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Aug 13 Dica 171
2001 Ford Expidition sunroof needs repair Aug 11 Surfer Bri 1
2003 Expedition will not start (Sep '09) Jul 22 Tom 15
98 Ford Expedition will not start Jul '17 Phil 1
More from around the web