Darryl Bostic

Chestertown, MD

#22 Feb 26, 2011
Your kids are embarrassed!! I'm the one embarrassed, after all, it's my truck..]
Darryl Bostic

Chestertown, MD

#23 Feb 26, 2011
So what you guys are saying is that my doors aren't broken even though they won't open.. When I pull the inside door handle with the door open, I can see the child safety lock moving.. ALL I GOTTA DO IS SPRAY WD40 INSIDE THE CHILD LOCK AND IT'LL WORK??
Darryl Bostic

Chestertown, MD

#24 Feb 28, 2011
I did the WD40 thing and whatta ya know, "IT WORKED"!!!! THANK YOU
Steve- O too

Kingston, Canada

#25 Mar 24, 2011
I have the same problem, will try the wd40 trick. Thanks to all that suggested that!
zombiekilla

Lady Lake, FL

#26 May 12, 2011
same problem with my 2001.
i tried the wd40 trick to no avail.
will try again tonight.
any other ideas?
flacaneatza

Rowland Heights, CA

#27 Jul 29, 2011
I have the same problem with my Expedition 2000... Is been a while though... I will try this weekend the WD40...
JWM

San Juan Capistrano, CA

#28 Aug 30, 2011
The WD-40 solution works! Both doors could not be opened due to the child safety locks not operating correctly. My kids had to roll down their windows to open the doors. Make sure you move the lever up and down about 40 to 50 times and spray allot of WD-40. Also pull on the door handle several times during the process. Thank you all for your help.

Shame on FORD for NOT correcting this obvious safety issue!

JWM,
Fountain Valley, CA
don

Windsor, Canada

#29 Sep 11, 2011
Using a simple soda can(empty) and a little duct tape will fix this problem. Cut out a pice of soda can about 3/8" wide and about 2 inches long. Insert one end into the slot of child safety switch and bend the remaining piece so it lays flat. Tape it in place with the duct tape piece baout 2 inches long. That's it your done.
Bob

Tallassee, AL

#30 Nov 20, 2011
It works. Struggled for more than a year. A $3.50 can of WD40 later, and we're back to normal...as normal as my family gets, anyway. Thanks!
travis

Old Hickory, TN

#31 Jan 10, 2012
JWM wrote:
The WD-40 solution works! Both doors could not be opened due to the child safety locks not operating correctly. My kids had to roll down their windows to open the doors. Make sure you move the lever up and down about 40 to 50 times and spray allot of WD-40. Also pull on the door handle several times during the process. Thank you all for your help.
Shame on FORD for NOT correcting this obvious safety issue!
JWM,
Fountain Valley, CA
I am a ford man also,ford should be
repremanded for this,I haved changed both rear door latches and still have problems sometimes.It also has something to do with
power window problems and wiper problems,lets say you was in a wreck your child couldn't open door nor glass won't row down. shame on ford
Jim

Canton, TX

#32 Jan 15, 2012
This might just go to regular maintenance like lubing hinges and latches. There is apparently a detent that gets gummed up with dirt.
Cameron

New Braunfels, TX

#33 Jan 29, 2012
If you are using WD-40 like Goomba, do not climb inside shut the door then try. Will suck if it doesnt work the first time. : P
Susie

Gulfport, MS

#34 Feb 8, 2012
WOW...was I ever glad to find these posts! Have had this problem with my 1998 Ford Expedition! I cannot open the door from the inside or outside! My husband is the only one can open from the outside. He works offshore so tomorrow I will find a strong guy to yank that dam door open, & spray & spray & work the lever & handle a 100 times!! This has been driving me NUTS!! ILL let yall know the outcome! I swear I'm soo dam excited to try!!
Susie

Gulfport, MS

#35 Feb 8, 2012
FOR 2 YEARS NOW, its been STUCK!!
loriiacc

Hollywood, FL

#36 May 6, 2012
We just purchased a 2000 Ford XL pickup with crew cab, we should be able to open the rear doors. There is a handle inside each front door but when you lift it nothing happens. The interior handles are rivited on, any suggestions as to how to access the interior?
Jason

Kirkland, WA

#37 May 8, 2012
I hope the WD-40 works... My passenger side child lock is now frozen locked, and my kids roll down the window to get out.
daniel

Carson, CA

#38 Jun 13, 2012
Rosemary wrote:
I have the same problem in my 2002 Ford Expedition - the child safety lock on the rear passenger seat locks on its own. Adult passengers cannot get out of that door without someone opening it from the outside. This is not only a pain, but it's a safety hazard for the person sitting in that seat, and for me, the owner.
I've tried to fix the problem by jamming up the opening with balled-up tape, but it still happens. Has anyone succeeded in having Ford fix this prsoblem?
tried using wd-40 work great spray in door jam and remove cover for safety lock and spray in there .
Permanent FIX

Raleigh, NC

#39 Jul 24, 2012
SOLUTION!!! I put up with this for years with my 2001 Lincoln Navigator.

The hardest part to fixing it is removing the interior door panel, so make sure you find out how to do that on your model before you destroy some expensive plastic parts. Once that is off, the rest is a piece of cake.

The problem is caused by the interior door handle rod. It needs to be adjusted because it is too short, allowing the door handle to open too far. A plastic clip attaches the door handle to the rod (the rod that connects the interior door handle to the door latch). Unhook the the clip and lengthen the rod by moving it back towards the latch, then close the clip to reattach the rod. The door handle will not pull open quite as far. Test the adjustment by switching the child lock to the unlock position, and while leaving the door open, pull the interior door handle open and closed rapidly several times. If the child lock switch no longer "climbs" from the unlocked to the locked position, shut the door and make sure it will still open when you pull the interior door handle. If so, you fixed it! If not readjust the rod and try again. Good luck.
Nicole

Pico Rivera, CA

#40 Aug 21, 2012
My 2001 was doing the same thing, child lock engaged itself & I fixed the rod issue which helped for awhile then it was back to its problems. Took the door panel off yesterday & my child lock was broken, plastic pieces fell out so now I have to order a whole new latch. Anyone know if there is a recall on this?
Norface

La Marque, TX

#41 Aug 22, 2012
I have a 2000 Ford Expedition. I can't open the tailgate nor the glass window. The actuator seems to be working. The problem is the latch. Turn it down it doesn't release the tailgate. turn it up, it doesn't release the glass window. Is there a way to pop the latch from the inside or where can I get an assembly drawing on the latch. Thank you for your help!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
97 Expedition park not engaging (Mar '08) Fri hatch 28
2003 Ford Expedition electrical problems (Feb '09) Jan 20 jasonprater69 19
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Jan 14 mel 145
2002 Ford Expedition turns over but won't start (Aug '08) Jan 10 tskinner21 23
2000 Ford e350 Super Duty passenger van Jan 10 Keith 1
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Jan 9 Slim 976
2001 Expedition won't start in cold weather only (Oct '06) Jan 7 John 42
More from around the web