child safety lock rear passenger side

Posted in the Ford Expedition Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ford

Niles, MI

#1 Jan 18, 2007
2000 Expedition....child safety lock kicks in without us doing anything. We'll turn it off, then a couple days later is re-engages. Very much a pain when people can't get out of the car from that side. Any suggestions?
Bart Man

AOL

#2 Jan 18, 2007
Have same problem dealer said nothing was wrong. I placed a small peice of tape to hold it down. workes great!
Rick

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 Jan 30, 2007
ford wrote:
2000 Expedition....child safety lock kicks in without us doing anything. We'll turn it off, then a couple days later is re-engages. Very much a pain when people can't get out of the car from that side. Any suggestions?
Remove the plastic cover around the lock leaver. Spray a light penatrating oil (wd-40) in and around the lock leaver mechanisim and work the mechanisim up and down several times. This should free up the small gravity lock inside the mechanism.
Oregon

United States

#4 Oct 2, 2007
My friend and I were just talking about this very problem the other night. Mine is a 2000 and the problem is with the rear passenger child lock. His is a 2000 and he has continual problems with both child locks. What gets me is the fact this problem defeats gravity. I could understand the lock slipping "down" into the locked position, but it's the exact opposite. My truck is in the shop and the service rep told me this morning that he has never heard of this problem and doesn't know of any service bulletins regarding it. Now that's hard to believe!
Rosemary

Tampa, FL

#5 Nov 5, 2007
I have the same problem in my 2002 Ford Expedition - the child safety lock on the rear passenger seat locks on its own. Adult passengers cannot get out of that door without someone opening it from the outside. This is not only a pain, but it's a safety hazard for the person sitting in that seat, and for me, the owner.
I've tried to fix the problem by jamming up the opening with balled-up tape, but it still happens. Has anyone succeeded in having Ford fix this problem?
Debbie

Hillsboro, OR

#6 Aug 27, 2008
I have a 2001 Explorer and it does the same exact thing. Nobody can get out, wierd.. I was beginning to think my SUV was possessed lol.
I'll try the WD-40 first, then the tape.
Thanks for the ideas :)
Mark

United States

#7 Dec 8, 2008
I had the problem with my 2001 expedition on both rear doors. Sprayed wd-40 all over inside the child lock latch. Moved the latch up and down 10 or 20 times and both doors are working fine now. Thank you for the help.
Mark

Kutztown, PA

#8 Dec 19, 2008
Add me to the list of 2001 Expedition owners with possessed child locks. I will try the "fixes" suggested here, but there has got to be a way to disable the mechanism all together, true?
ODB

Austin, TX

#9 Apr 30, 2009
WOW!!! WD-40 worked for me!!!
Hit the child safety lock with a lot deep inside.
Good luck.
Vanquishman

Ocoee, FL

#10 Jul 13, 2009
So glad there r other people with this problem too the left side back passenger door child locks itself and the right side door lock won't lock or unlock I have to do It manually
Steve-O

Green Bay, WI

#11 Aug 5, 2009
WD-40 worked for me. Both sides. Thanks much!
Kirk R

Dunn, NC

#12 Nov 17, 2009
Add me to the list Im having the same problems with my child ocks on my expedition
Anna

Nashville, TN

#13 Dec 10, 2009
I just called Ford's customer service and was told NO complaints had been lodged with Ford concerning the child safety lock problem we seem to be having. Well, apparently someone (Ford) is either evading a very serious issue, or we all must be "imaging" the problem. I have had this issue for some time with my 2000 Expedition. I took it in several years to a Ford service center and supposedly had the problem repaired. NOT! It continues to lock on it's on (rear passenger side). I am almost paranoid about my grandchildren riding in the back seat. I have to let them out. Heaven forbid there is an emergency and can't get out. The only way this may be resolved is if enough people call Ford and get a case number, so this dangerous situation can be addressed and hopefully corrected.
Jenn

Nashua, NH

#14 Dec 31, 2009
I have also been having this same issue! I have a 97 Expedition and let me tell you my teenage kids are so embarrassed when they have to roll the windows down to open the door! I'm going to try the w-d40!
Jenn

Nashua, NH

#15 Dec 31, 2009
Jenn wrote:
I have also been having this same issue! I have a 97 Expedition and let me tell you my teenage kids are so embarrassed when they have to roll the windows down to open the door! I'm going to try the w-d40!
Woo Hoo!! wd 40 is my new best friend! Thanks so much for the tip~
Kevin

Spotsylvania, VA

#16 Feb 11, 2010
WD40 worked perfectly. One of child lock doors wouldn't even open. I thought something inside was bent. Lots of WD in the child lock, which has to be in the unlocked position. Good as new. It is 20 degrees out and it still worked.
Goomba Jimbo Maka

Bellevue, NE

#17 Feb 27, 2010
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR DOOR PANEL like I did. Nothing is wrong with your car. Just remove the black plastic around the child safety lock, then douse that area real good with WD-40. Work the lock up and down 50-60 times. Climb in the car, shut the door. Open the door. Good as new. THANK YOU FORUM. I am a hero. My wife is supremely happy with me...at least for the next 20 minutes or so.

I am the GOOMBA
All boys in AZ

Mesa, AZ

#18 Mar 11, 2010
My rear child lock has been locking on its own too. Now when it's in the unlocked position, yes, UNlocked, the door still won't open!! When we jiggle the handle, we can actually watch the lock move up to the locked position. Suggestions on how to repair this because I don't think this is a WD40 fix!?!
The Oz

Trinity, AL

#20 Dec 31, 2010
I should've looked here 3 years ago. The WD-40 worked like a charm. Thanks.
torey

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Feb 6, 2011
2001 expedition rear passenger child safety lock is in unlock position and still won't open from inside?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Tue vab 143
99 exped electrical problem when it rains (Jul '07) Mon Jonathan A 68
2001 ford expedition electrical problems (Sep '07) Dec 22 Justmy2cents 77
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Dec 18 3030glc 974
1997 Ford Expedition transmission problem (Mar '08) Dec 9 Roman 61
electronic on a ford expedition Dec 7 Jeff 1
2001 Expy XLT 5.4 running rough, idling (Jun '08) Dec 6 arnel 10
More from around the web