Anthony

Springfield, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2007

I recently purchased a 1997 ford expedition and I thought that the brake light switch was bad. Not only did the brake lights not work but the gear shift lever would not shift unless you turned the key half way on and then put it in neutral in order to go into drive. Once I found that a wire had broken loose from the switch I rewired it and it then powered the gear shift without having to shift it in neutral in order to go into drive.
Don

Idaho Falls, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2007

Anthony wrote:
I recently purchased a 1997 ford expedition and I thought that the brake light switch was bad. Not only did the brake lights not work but the gear shift lever would not shift unless you turned the key half way on and then put it in neutral in order to go into drive. Once I found that a wire had broken loose from the switch I rewired it and it then powered the gear shift without having to shift it in neutral in order to go into drive.
I also have a 97 Ford Expedition, and also had a problem with the taillights, figuring it was the switch, along with the problem with the gearshift, and also a problem with turning off the cruise control with the brake, it wasn't until I read your note that I was able to put it all together, and that I must have a broken wire up there somewhere.It was not very aparent, and actually took some real looking, but when I found a suspect section of wire, I gave it a little tug and sure enough, it came apart. Once I repaired the wire, all is fine.Thank you for your posting.
Dana

Jewett City, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

This info. really helped me, I'm having the same problems as the two of you.
Dana

Jewett City, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

one question, where are the wires? are they near the brake pedal? does anyone know?
Anthony

Springfield, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2007

Dana wrote:
This info. really helped me, I'm having the same problems as the two of you.
It appears that when someone had installed the alarm sysytem brain under the steering column they must have broken the wires going into the brakelight switch. Look for the plug that actually plugs into the switch which is at the top of the brake pedal under the dash to see if some wires are frayed or the switch it self may be bad. The switch should cost less than 10 dollars at a parts store.
tke354

Norwood, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2009

exact same problem. tail/brake lights and won't shift into drive from park. will check wiring. thanks for your post
Ro0bert Johnson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2009

Im having the same problem on 97 expidition. No breaklights. all other lights work. Have to put key straight up to start in nutural, than can shift into gears. Replacsd break light switch.Cant find bad wire. Where could it be ? Also is there a recall on this.
carlos carteret nj

Carteret, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

ive been goin crazy lookin for dis problem . im so glad you guys posted your comments . maybe now i can finally fix this problem
Tony

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2009

Couple days ago my battery was dead, so i replace a new one also with a brand new terminal. The car start but the interior light doesnt work, brake lights dont work and cant shift to any gear, the fan or a/c blower was on full blast. I couldn't turn off the fan/ac.Can Anyone have any ideas?
RudyH

Alaska Peninsula Nwr, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Ro0bert Johnson wrote:
Im having the same problem on 97 expidition. No breaklights. all other lights work. Have to put key straight up to start in nutural, than can shift into gears. Replacsd break light switch.Cant find bad wire. Where could it be ? Also is there a recall on this.
Did anybody ever find the solution to this problem we all seem to be having? im having one in the same with everybody else with the brake shift interlock along with the brake lights not working... ive traced the wires down to find where there might be a problem.. i have an ASTROflex autostart wired up under the steering column.. i have replaced all fuses and brake switch and still nothing.. i have no idea of anything left to do. how did everybody solve thier problem?
sam

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

Thank-you . Your post was very helpful and finding my problem.
dgt

Enid, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

The issue can also be the shift lock soleniod.
dgt

Enid, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2011

oops*shiftlock solenoid
cindy

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2012

I am having a similar problem but the brake lights only flicker, they don't not work at all. If I am slowing down quickly, they seem to work fine but if I am coming to a gradual stop they cut in and out. Also, I can't shift out of park unless I have the brake pedal all the way down, which sounds similar to what some of you have said but maybe not as bad. I will check the wires and see if that helps. Thanks for your comments!!
Jimmy

Woodbury, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2012

My problem seems basically the same as the rest. I replaced the brake switch that attaches to the brake pedal about 1 and and 1/2 months ago. It worked fine and did not pop any fuses and then yesterday, i went through about 5 fuses. I will change the fuse and it will work fine until i apply the brakes a few time. Then when i get to my destination, the fuse will have blown. This is a dangerous thing when driving in Atlanta traffic. Can someone please give me some insight ?
melissa k1 lafayette in

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2012

i have a 97 ford expedition 2wd and i need to know how to change the stoplight switch. i got home the other day and the brake lights wouldnt turn off. i found out the problem but need to know how to change it. can someone help me please.
The pole

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

I have a 1997 for expedition I have replaced the shift interlock solenoid and the (boo) stop light switch and still nothing I am having the same problems no brake lights and it won't come out of park.
Robertb410

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

I have an 2003 Ford Expedition and I am having the same issues. Breaklights went out about 4 months ago and changed fuses. Installed new breaklight switch and worked fine till about 2 days ago. Now can't get out of park unless I wiggle the wire and apply break and then shift. It seems when I ahve looked I have noticed that the breaklight switch doesn't stay still and seems really loose so when I apply the break my break lights don't illuminate. Am I missing a part or do I need to some how "rig it" to where it will start working again like it did when I origianly fixed it?
RogerExpedition

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

I had the same problem. Turns out the switch is fine. The wire went bad right at the connector due to the constant flexing from brake medal being pushed thousands of times. I ended up disconnecting the plug from the brake light switch, cutting it off about two inches up the cable, gently prying off the plastic cover on the connector removing the two spade connectors, soldering on two new wires, and then soldering the connector back on to the factory harness. I used heat shrink tubing for a clean look and long-lasting durability. I'm willing to bet most of these problems are not due to a bad switch, but due to the wire strands breaking from constant movement.
James

Rochester, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Which fuse controls the brake lights? I think I'm having the same problem

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trailer wiring problem on 2007 Expedition 8 hr Pete from FLA 1
Expedition won't shift out of park Tue Djordan 1
2015 Popularity of Ford Crossover-utility Vehic... Tue mamamoe 1
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Aug 23 candy girl 141
99 Expedition 4x4 Issues (Nov '06) Aug 22 Dean 103
2001 ford expedition what and where can I find ... Aug 21 Cal 1
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Aug 20 Carm 961

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••