Mike from Buffalo

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2010

I have a 2004 ford expedition 4.6l that was running rough at idle (truck would shake) and poor acceleration. At first there was no fault light. I googled the problem on the internet and found several potential causes and their solutions, until I eventually found the one that fixed it. I'm writing simply to share my experience in hopes it helps some other poor !@#$# and saves them some money.

Steps.
1. No fault light... changed Air cleaner ($20 cheap)
2.(two days later) Fault light... took it to Autozone to have codes read they said it was running lean and could be a number of things. Had them reset light. Cleaned MAF sensor, checked for vacuum leaks, changed fuel filter.($69.00 cheap , bought MAF sensor cleaner but had ford dealer change filter, I couldn't find it and there is 3 ft of snow out there)
3.(1 week later) Light returned had Autozone read codes again, this time the error was more specific, it stated the #4 cylinder was misfiring. Changed coil and spark plug on the #4 cylinder (will change the reset in the Spring).($62.00 for parts... changed myself) This fixed the problem and truck is running perfect again.
Bob

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2012

Thanks, Mike that is a lot of help. I actually changed the fuel filter and it helped for about 2-3 weeks then it started to stall at idle again, I figured I figured I would change the air filter to make sure it was getting plenty of air. I see you changed coil and plug for #4 cylindar.I will also check with autozone and have them read the codes as i too have the fault light on.
Thanks agin this should be a lot of help.
Bob
Ryan

Palmer, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks. I just got done swapping a motor for a friend and I'm having this issue with the new motor. Good news is I didn't replace the plugs or coils but he did supply new ones with the motor.
Thanks again!
Tom

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Maybe the Ford tecnicians should get online a read the different comments rather than their Ford manuals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Ford Expedition Forum right now

Search the Ford Expedition Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
2000 Ford Expedition Steering Wheel Alignment 10 hr Wayne 1
2003 Ford Expedition electrical problems (Feb '09) Tue Sara 12
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Apr 13 bobby Wright 949
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Apr 8 Theo Moore 134
1997 Ford Expedition transmission problem (Mar '08) Apr 7 rusty 59
98 Ford Expedition fuse box..... (Aug '08) Apr 5 lukaz 21
2000 Expedition won't start Apr 4 Don 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
•••
•••