Piston Slap
Russell

Eugene, OR

#1 May 15, 2006
My '99 Expedition makes a horrible clicking noise right after starting (which I've heard is piston slap) and goes away after a couple minutes (once it warms up). Service department at the dealer said not to worry about it. Should I worry about it? Any idea what it would take to fix it?

Thanks
louie

Orlando, FL

#2 May 27, 2006
I have a 2005 Eddie Bauer Expedition, and just after the 36,000 miles
the engine feels as if it's in need of a tune-up and the brake system power booster needs to be replaced. Is that possible with only 38k miles?
Bryan

Grand Rapids, MI

#3 Jun 20, 2007
Russell wrote:
My '99 Expedition makes a horrible clicking noise right after starting (which I've heard is piston slap) and goes away after a couple minutes (once it warms up). Service department at the dealer said not to worry about it. Should I worry about it? Any idea what it would take to fix it?
Thanks
I doubt it is piston slap. It is probably caused from oil drain down after engine shutdown. This is caused by a bad oil filter (one with a crappy check valve in it). When the filter's check valve doesn't work, it lets the engine oil drain away from the oil gallery in the heads, so when you start the engine, you hear all the chattering. Buy a good oil filter (I like the Wix brand) and use the correct weight full synthetic oil (check your owner's manual) and see if that elimnates the noise. It's a cheap check.
LJG

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#4 Dec 8, 2007
I have a 2003 Expedition that clatters at start up and goes away when warm. After 3 days at the dealership they determined may be piston slap but would need the vehicle longer. I purchased a 80,000 mile full warranty. Is this covered? should I get a 2nd opinion?
Curious in Ca.
joel

Edinburg, TX

#5 Dec 12, 2007
LJG wrote:
I have a 2003 Expedition that clatters at start up and goes away when warm. After 3 days at the dealership they determined may be piston slap but would need the vehicle longer. I purchased a 80,000 mile full warranty. Is this covered? should I get a 2nd opinion?
Curious in Ca.
I also have a 2003 Expedition with the same problem with 90,000 miles.Dealership determined problem inside engine. Need to open motor for answer for about $1500 plus repair parts.This is not covered by warranty unless mechanical breakdown.Have yet to get 2nd opinion
john

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Jan 6, 2008
would oil additives like duro lube or slick 50 help piston slap
Brian

Bronx, NY

#7 Apr 27, 2014
I bought my 03 Exped 5.4 new. I began to notice The Piston Slap or whatever it is after about 50k miles. Its still doing it and I have 190k on it. 5-20 synth since day 1. Runs like new. Im not worried about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 ford expedition electrical problems (Sep '07) 7 hr Mike 85
2002 Ford Expedition turns over but won't start (Aug '08) Nov 30 Dave with first ford 43
97 expedition wont start but clicks Nov 29 Zach 1
97 Expedition park not engaging (Mar '08) Nov 29 Kquist 31
2003 Ford Expedition electrical problems (Feb '09) Nov 26 Curspur 33
child safety lock rear passenger side (Jan '07) Nov 15 michelle 71
Won't shift out of park Nov 12 Ralph Valentine 1
More from around the web