First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kathleen

Anaheim, CA

#21 Jul 23, 2011
I HATE the headrests in the 2011 Expedition. Glad I found this site. I just bought the car last week, will be taking it back to the dealer to have them bend the headrests for me. Should have stuck with my Tahoe!
Phil S

Regina, Canada

#22 Jul 26, 2011
We test drove a 2011 Expedition. Great truck except the headrests were terrible and triggered a headache for my wife. Too bad, the truck was great, more stylish and otherwise modern than the GM vehicles. We're now looking at a Suburban or a BMW. The seats in my BMW 750 are amazing, fully adjustable and power headrests. Ford, are you listening?
Carla

United States

#23 Sep 17, 2011
Frank wrote:
thanks for the ides of bending headrest posts using metal pipe.Just finished doing it to my 2011 expedition and the headrests now have a much more comfortable angle to them.I didnt have a vice so i put a clean towel on floor ,placed headrest on towel facedown,place pipe over metal posts ,placed knee on headrest to use for levage,and pulled the pipe toward me bending the posts approx 3/4 of an inch.It takes a little bit of strengh to do,so dont be afraid to have somebody support headrest while you pull on pipe.Use a semi long pipe,this will also give you some more leverage.Now i can drive w/o annoying neck pain,thanks again
I also have a 2011 Expedition that my husband hates because of the headrest. How do you get the headrest off to be able to bend with a pipe? We have tried and they won't pull off of the seat. Any info on how to remove them would be very helpful! Thanks!
CasbinFolks

Murphy, NC

#24 Jun 1, 2012
After reviewing the various postings I took off the passenger's headrest (my wife can't ride with it in the normal position) and chucked the two legs into a bench vise. Then using a crowbar and a block of wood to protect the leather(couldn't bend them without it) I was able to bend the legs about 15 degrees without any apparent damage. Now the headrest sits up straight like it should have when it came from the factory if they had known what they were doing.
connie

Yukon, OK

#25 Jul 11, 2012
we are going to try to bend ours. It has become so painful that I find myself sitting at an agle so that my head is not in front of the headrest which means I sit for a long time on one side causing hip pain after an hour. I spend all freakin day in my car and I bought this car because my 2005 expedition was so comfortable and it's important to be comfortable. If there was a class action lawsuit I would join it in a heart beat. My back and Neck and hips hurt all damn day because of this annoyance. how in the world is it safer to put drivers is so much pain.
Liz Mill Valley CA

San Francisco, CA

#26 Sep 7, 2012
I bought a 2010 Explorer/Eddie Bauier after discovering that the only thing the 2011,'12, &'13 have in common w/previous models "is the name". The '11-on Explorers are mini-vans.The'10, & before,Explorers are trucks,i.e.,have truck chassis,which I wanted(liked my '98).It took a little while to realise how DREADFUL to head rest is...causes you to hold your head up because of the "turtle" position you're forced to endure.How could this have happened,what's the matter w/Ford? I'm annoyed that my sales "team" didn't mention this.I would pay the $180.x2 a previuos owner mentioned but can't find the relacement. Pls advise.Thanks.
Jim

Sonoma, CA

#27 Oct 23, 2012
Just bought a 2012 expedition, issue still exists!
Sarah

Sound Beach, NY

#28 Feb 24, 2013
My 2009 also has the same problem. Also, when attempting to place a carseat facing forward, the headrest gets in the way. Very inconvenient and unsafe.
Teri

Milwaukee, WI

#29 Sep 25, 2013
My husband bought a 2013 Expedition and they still havent improved the headrest. It does NOT protect against whiplash at its uncomfortable angle either. I can attest to this as I have now gotten whiplash twice in 1 summer just from my husband slamming on the breaks In each case -- we weren't even rear ended or in an accident. And we weren't going more than 35 mph. If passengers aren't comfortable and aren't protected, what is the point of these damned headrests? Ford offer a retrofit alternative, please! My neck can't take it!!!
Jenny 8675309

Baytown, TX

#30 Mar 11, 2014
Frustrated as hell. Afraid the metal will snap and how do you get both to bend the same amount? Anyone having problems removing? Is there any other ford year or product I can use to keep vertical?
JoannD

Amherst, Canada

#31 Sep 18, 2014
Ndegan wrote:
The headrest on my 2010 Expedition is at the wrong angle for me. I'm 5'2" and think that it would do more harm than good in an accident. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Someone suggested taking it off and reversing it. Would that work?

I have the same problem being 5 foot and I pull the headrest up so it's higher and doesn't impact my neck... really really bad design feature!! Haven't thought about reversing it but must give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Ford Expedition turns over but won't start (Aug '08) 8 min John 20
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Tue vab 143
99 exped electrical problem when it rains (Jul '07) Mon Jonathan A 68
2001 ford expedition electrical problems (Sep '07) Dec 22 Justmy2cents 77
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Dec 18 3030glc 974
1997 Ford Expedition transmission problem (Mar '08) Dec 9 Roman 61
electronic on a ford expedition Dec 7 Jeff 1
More from around the web