2010 Expedition headrest
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ndegan

Dallas, TX

#1 Feb 20, 2010
The headrest on my 2010 Expedition is at the wrong angle for me. I'm 5'2" and think that it would do more harm than good in an accident. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Someone suggested taking it off and reversing it. Would that work?
cof

Sugar Land, TX

#2 May 11, 2010
I can't stand the front row headrests on my 2010 Expedition! Did you try to reverse yours? Otherwise, I am considering installing the DVD headrests, which don't have that 45 degree angle.
JDK

Oregon, IL

#3 Jun 23, 2010
Our agency purchased a 2010 Expedition. Same issues with headrests. Dealer/Body Shop tried to "adjust" (no adjustment possible), attempted to "reverse" the headrests (caused the angle to be so fare to the rear that they were totally ineffective). Body shop is communicating our concern to the corporate technical folks. We will see. In the meantime, we have removed the headrests. The lack of headrests causes it's own safety issue during an accident (Whiplash), but the vehicle is nearly un-drivable as is. A BETTER IDEA?????
phinds

Bala Cynwyd, PA

#4 Jul 6, 2010
We just bought a 2010 king ranch el... to make a trip from tx to florida... by the time we got to florida, my neck was so stressed. I am dreading the trip back... I wanted to rip them out. I am 6'3"... they dont fit me either... if we were in a wreck I think my neck would break... very disappointed. I never even thought about them being uncomfortable... very sad.
BIGsteve

Newark, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2010
Ditto on the neck strain...I didn't notice it when test driving but on a trip to Florida a month after purchase it was very uncomfortable. The only relief that I've been able to get is by reclining the seat back quite a bit which seems to help. I'm hoping Ford comes up with a solution soon, but by the looks of the pics on Ford.com of the 2011 model, I won't be holding my breath.
MJR

Washington, DC

#6 Oct 12, 2010
Just bought a 2010 Expedition - having the same issues. This is more than an inconvenience, it is a safety issue. I emailed Ford corporate on the subject.
Bob

Dublin, OH

#7 Oct 19, 2010
i purchased a 2010 Expedition about a month ago - i am 6'-6" and my wife 5'-11"; and we both hate the headrests. We reversed them as well so at least they aren't in the back of my neck. i have contacted Ford - they want $180 per head rest to replace!
MJR

Gaithersburg, MD

#8 Oct 19, 2010
Bob, what did they offer to replace it with? Any information would be appreciated.
Please report to DOT

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 26, 2010
There is a web submission system for the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
Spend 5 minutes and report your headrest issue. Maybe Ford will be compelled to act. To see the existing submissions go to:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/comp...
To file a new complaint:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
elizabeth

United States

#10 Dec 7, 2010
2008 Ford sportrac causes severe neck pain.what can I do legally about this?
Kathy

United States

#11 Jan 11, 2011
I wish I would have known that the headrests were not adjustable. What a major problem.....I want to take them out of the vehicle also. What a shame...
sandy

Lahaina, HI

#12 Feb 26, 2011
Ndegan wrote:
The headrest on my 2010 Expedition is at the wrong angle for me. I'm 5'2" and think that it would do more harm than good in an accident. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? Someone suggested taking it off and reversing it. Would that work?
Had the same problem, today we bent to bars, worked great, now they sit straight up, like normal headrest.
sandy

Lahaina, HI

#13 Feb 26, 2011
MJR wrote:
Bob, what did they offer to replace it with? Any information would be appreciated.
had the same problem, so we bent the bars back, now they sit straight up like normal headrest.
sandy

Lahaina, HI

#14 Feb 26, 2011
everybody that owns a 2010 expedition, maybe other years have the same uncomfortable headrest. Today we bent the bars, the now it sits straight up, like normal headrest.
Greg

Franklin, TN

#15 Mar 6, 2011
My wife and I have the same complaint- the headrests are uncomfortable, if you sit upright they push your head forward to much. We traded in a 2005 Expedition, the seats and headrests were very comfortable - so I'm going to try and bend the bars as Sandy suggested to see if that helps to gets us back to the same level as what we replaced. Thanks for the tip!
WRR

Seymour, IN

#16 Mar 14, 2011
Thank you, Sandy. I had already decided that I would have to bend them. It's good to know that this will work.
Frank

Staten Island, NY

#17 Mar 16, 2011
thanks for the ides of bending headrest posts using metal pipe.Just finished doing it to my 2011 expedition and the headrests now have a much more comfortable angle to them.I didnt have a vice so i put a clean towel on floor ,placed headrest on towel facedown,place pipe over metal posts ,placed knee on headrest to use for levage,and pulled the pipe toward me bending the posts approx 3/4 of an inch.It takes a little bit of strengh to do,so dont be afraid to have somebody support headrest while you pull on pipe.Use a semi long pipe,this will also give you some more leverage.Now i can drive w/o annoying neck pain,thanks again
Barb

Nixa, MO

#18 May 14, 2011
Purchased a 2011 Expedition and hate the headrests. The angle is so bad that you have to sit with your head bent forward. Very uncomfortable, expecially on long trips. Ford Corporate will hear from me. This is unacceptable for such a high dollar vehicle. Do the engineers ever really drive these vehicles? If so, I'm sure they would realize what we are dealing with
rwinegar

Mifflinburg, PA

#19 Jun 3, 2011
Glad I came here. Head restraints a real pain in the arse. I bent the bars now all is OK. Did Ford have it's collective head up its collective ass when it designed these seats?
David

Friendswood, TX

#20 Jun 29, 2011
phinds wrote:
We just bought a 2010 king ranch el... to make a trip from tx to florida... by the time we got to florida, my neck was so stressed. I am dreading the trip back... I wanted to rip them out. I am 6'3"... they dont fit me either... if we were in a wreck I think my neck would break... very disappointed. I never even thought about them being uncomfortable... very sad.
I just bought a 2011 Ford Expediton and am having the same issue. Were you able to come to a resolution I can use too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
99 Expedition 4x4 Issues (Nov '06) 11 hr Joe Stout 113
replaced blower motor and resistor still wont run 16 hr reel 2
1997 Ford Expedition transmission problem (Mar '08) Thu James d 71
2001 ford expedition electrical problems (Sep '07) Dec 3 Mike 85
2002 Ford Expedition turns over but won't start (Aug '08) Nov 30 Dave with first ford 43
97 expedition wont start but clicks Nov 29 Zach 1
97 Expedition park not engaging (Mar '08) Nov 29 Kquist 31
More from around the web