99 Expedition 4x4 Issues
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Joshm121

United States

#102 Jun 19, 2014
1999 Expedition AWD. Was having the same binding problem. Saw on another forum you can pull the 104 fuse, and it disables the transfer case motor. Worked like a charm, which will give me time to work out the bugs.
dirtbag2

Peoria, IL

#103 Aug 22, 2014
joe mazzulla wrote:
no heat in the front just the back in my 1999 expedition
front heater core might be dirty happened on my 01 expedition changed out front and now my back wont get cold the back heater core is located in the rear driver side,side panel the front is under dash make sure you get your water system flushed real good
Dean

United States

#104 Aug 22, 2014
this is not a reply to the binding issue. where do i look to get my cruise control to work. all the cables work, nothing broken there.
Dean
russman

Brandenburg, KY

#105 Oct 19, 2014
my 2000 ford expedition xlt will shift to hl back to 4h but will not shift to a4wd so im in 4h all the time. help please
reachus

Englewood, CO

#106 Nov 13, 2014
fleetservices wrote:
Can you please tell me where the GEM is located, on 1999 ford expedition.
GEM is connected to backside of interior fuse box... I would suggest planing on it being an all day thing... as people have mentioned it really isn't designed to be replaced....
if you have the Right tools for it I would recommend you start with the drivers seat, cover around steering wheel and then lower dash cover between dash and floor on the left hides a bolt you need to be able to flex the bracket a bit to remove the GEM you may also need to remove the steering wheel change...
WAYCOOL

Palmdale, CA

#107 Dec 28, 2014
Italian Rafter wrote:
I have a 99 Expedition XLT; 4x4; 5.4L:
I've gone to my hometown mechanic and then to two FORD dealerships and they have all told me something different.
Over the weekend, I had to engage the 4wd (on the fly). After I got out of the quagmire, the 4wd would not disengage and go back to AWD. I tried everything, Park, Neutral, Reverse all while trying to get the transfer case out of low range. Then, the whole drivetrain sounded like it was going to fall out (it was binding up), and my spedometer was spiking. Finally, the transfer case just went into complete neutral on both drive shafts. These symptoms sound really bad, but they are detailed just like this on a couple of FORD's TSBs. After a little time, I got the transfer case back to rear wheel drive, but it was like my front wheels had locked hubs (I couldn't turn sharply at all). Come to find out, it's not hubs, but the front driveshaft binding in turns.
I have several FORD Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) that I've got from the three mechanics I've been dealing with. Some point to GEM module, others to bad grounds, and finally a shift motor (on the transfer case).
Home Mechanic -$50 to test grounds and gem module; paid him.
Ford # 1 - Wanted to charge me $900 to replace the GEM module; I declined
Ford # 2 - Wanted to charge me $1900 to replace the entire transfer case; I was really pissed about this one and declined.
The computers all pull up the same errors: shift motor, shift motor plate, speed sensors in front/rear diff's. When I have the mechanic(s) reset the GEM Module (by clearing the codes), the "HUBS" unlock, or really the front driveshaft doesn't bind, for a short time until you start to drive 25' and then they lock back up. I'm not in Low range, but the front driveshaft binds and the Expedition "thinks" it's in 4HI all the time.
Where I'm at now:
I dropped my front driveshaft and am driving in 4HI (so really just 2wd rear and I don't have the binding)...so I put a bandaid on it. I've ordered a $100 shift motor online and hope this will fix it.
Anyone have any advice or experience with a similar issue like this? Thanks!

OK this what I just did on my 99 Expedition 5min ago.
Having similar problems as you I decided to get my ass under the ford and check it out.
I went to the Transfer Case and pulled the 4x4 shifting motor. Ford makes it to where you
need to cut wires to pull it completely out but I did not. I just dropped it still hanging from the wires
I hooked wires back up with it pulled out and put it in nurtural and turned the knob to 4x4 and it worked. I sprayed a good lube on all moving parts. put it back in and then tried it again. This time
it went into 4x4 low but would not come out so I went under again and noticed three wires coming out of the transferase right in the under middle part of the s 4x4 shifter that I could see bare wires.
So I took a sharp prod and moved the wires from touching each other. went inside and tried again
and wow no delay in shifting into High Low and back into regular mode.
Oh and wile you are down there you should add some synthetic gear oil in the the transfer case.
WAYCOOL

Palmdale, CA

#108 Dec 28, 2014
russman wrote:
my 2000 ford expedition xlt will shift to hl back to 4h but will not shift to a4wd so im in 4h all the time. help please
OK this what I just did on my 99 Expedition 5min ago.
Having similar problems as you I decided to get my ass under the ford and check it out.
I went to the Transfer Case and pulled the 4x4 shifting motor. Ford makes it to where you
need to cut wires to pull it completely out but I did not. I just dropped it still hanging from the wires
I hooked wires back up with it pulled out and put it in nurtural and turned the knob to 4x4 and it worked. I sprayed a good lube on all moving parts. put it back in and then tried it again. This time
it went into 4x4 low but would not come out so I went under again and noticed three wires coming out of the transferase right in the under middle part of the s 4x4 shifter that I could see bare wires.
So I took a sharp prod and moved the wires from touching each other. went inside and tried again
and wow no delay in shifting into High Low and back into regular mode. Now you can slice some small tubing and rap around the wires and glue or what ever u can do to keep them separated.
Oh and wile you are down there you should add some synthetic gear oil in the the transfer case
tarpey

Philadelphia, PA

#109 May 19, 2015
got a 1998 expedition just got put it in gear take off get to where should shift into 2nd and forces itself to a stop and locks rear wheels realeases rigjht away but repeats cant drive I un hooked vss and it does not do it but still wont go into 2nd
tazzmania23

Dallas, TX

#110 May 27, 2015
joe wrote:
I had the same issue and the solution was to remove the GEM and dissassemble the thing the GEM plugs into.(I can give you a detailed process for this if needed since it is not made to come apart.) What happens is there is a leak from the windshield that is usually small. It drips down onto the GEM and because of the way it is oriented, it collects inside the GEM socket. This will cause all sorts of strange things to happen because of the transient voltages crossing into incorrect circuits. One of the things is the 4X4 won't disengage. I drilled out the two rivets/studs in the socket and, layer by layer, removed the plastic and metal plates. I dried them well and sprayed with WD40. reassembled after drilling drain holes in cover of socket (in case) and no trouble at all for two years now.
<quoted text>
Joe you think you can tell me where the GEM is located at
hugeoffroader

Peoria, AZ

#111 Tuesday Aug 4
Italian Rafter wrote:
I have a 99 Expedition XLT; 4x4; 5.4L:
I've gone to my hometown mechanic and then to two FORD dealerships and they have all told me something different.
Over the weekend, I had to engage the 4wd (on the fly). After I got out of the quagmire, the 4wd would not disengage and go back to AWD. I tried everything, Park, Neutral, Reverse all while trying to get the transfer case out of low range. Then, the whole drivetrain sounded like it was going to fall out (it was binding up), and my spedometer was spiking. Finally, the transfer case just went into complete neutral on both drive shafts. These symptoms sound really bad, but they are detailed just like this on a couple of FORD's TSBs. After a little time, I got the transfer case back to rear wheel drive, but it was like my front wheels had locked hubs (I couldn't turn sharply at all). Come to find out, it's not hubs, but the front driveshaft binding in turns.
I have several FORD Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) that I've got from the three mechanics I've been dealing with. Some point to GEM module, others to bad grounds, and finally a shift motor (on the transfer case).
Home Mechanic -$50 to test grounds and gem module; paid him.
Ford # 1 - Wanted to charge me $900 to replace the GEM module; I declined
Ford # 2 - Wanted to charge me $1900 to replace the entire transfer case; I was really pissed about this one and declined.
The computers all pull up the same errors: shift motor, shift motor plate, speed sensors in front/rear diff's. When I have the mechanic(s) reset the GEM Module (by clearing the codes), the "HUBS" unlock, or really the front driveshaft doesn't bind, for a short time until you start to drive 25' and then they lock back up. I'm not in Low range, but the front driveshaft binds and the Expedition "thinks" it's in 4HI all the time.
Where I'm at now:
I dropped my front driveshaft and am driving in 4HI (so really just 2wd rear and I don't have the binding)...so I put a bandaid on it. I've ordered a $100 shift motor online and hope this will fix it.
Anyone have any advice or experience with a similar issue like this? Thanks!
I have the same problem. I looked at shift motors and sensors and blogs. First time I cleared the issue by clearing the codes. That worked for a while (until I needed 4WD again). Best I'm can figure is that a sensor somewhere is sending a code to the drive line computer that a tire is slipping and to stay in 4WD. I have AWD by the way. My band aid solution is to remove the fuse for the 4WD system. Problem Solved. When I need it I just replace the fuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Expedition sunroof won't open! 21 hr WhatsAFix 1
03 Expedition Sun Donald smith 2
1999 Expedition will not start - not crank (Sep '13) Aug 29 Confused 7
1998 ford expedition troubleshooting question-h... (Nov '06) Aug 15 wondering 1,002
2001 Expedition won't start in cold weather only (Oct '06) Aug 15 ken 46
2003 Ford Expedition electrical problems (Feb '09) Aug 11 SweetMama 25
99 exped electrical problem when it rains (Jul '07) Aug 11 nsabol 77
More from around the web