99 Expedition 4x4 Issues
Steve

United States

#21 Jul 24, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem! I'm excited look at your link however it does not seem to work. Any suggestions? Can you post the text here?
Robert wrote:
I have been haveing the same problem and all points to the GEM!!! Took me hours of searching but i found the location of the GEM heres the link hope it helps you guys out!!! Just copy and paste the link!!http://199.79.180.163/pr epos/files/Artemis/Public/Purs uits/2005/EA/INCLA-EA05015-248 96.pdf
brett

Commerce City, CO

#22 Jul 27, 2007
i understand disconnecting the shift motor vacuum for everyday driving, but what do i need to do to make sure my 4x4 ingages and disengages every time
Jeff

Norfolk, VA

#23 Aug 19, 2007
Help, I've fallen and I can't get up. The 4wd doesn't work on my 97 Expedition 5.4. I was on ramp 29 in Salvo, NC. getting ready to go on the beach. AWD 4H and 4L do not work. When I examined it, the harnesses on the back of the transfer case are soaked with oil.
walt

West Chester, PA

#24 Sep 21, 2007
the binding noises your hearing are normal if you are driving on dry ground four wheel drive is for slipperary ground (snow, mud or 4 whel driving).

the front tires need to slip when in four wheel drive on dry ground this will not happen and evrytime you make a shape turn you will hear the binding noise. do not drive in 4h or low unless
you are on slippery ground to allow the tire slip

alway drive in awd when driving on dry ground (pavement) in awd you are still in 4w drive just
that it applys 4w when needed. Awd (automatic 4 wheel drive) also saves you gas

Since: Oct 07

United States

#25 Oct 2, 2007
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition, 4.6 v-8, AWD, 4H and 4L. When it's cold, the truck runs very well. About 30 minutes into driving, the AWD seems to engage pre-maturly. I say this because it seems to bind slightly around corners, not like it's in 4H though. It seems to kick, or catch while going around corners as well. As I said before, it only does it when it has warmed up good. I wonder if the sensor which senses wheel slippage is malfunctioning or something to that effect. Has anyone had this problem?

United States

#26 Oct 2, 2007
I've been searching for clues to this problem. Other forums have suggested a speed sensor may be the problem. I admit that I am uncertain what a speed sensor does. Anyone know anything about this?
jtmrwilli wrote:
I have a 1999 Ford Expedition, 4.6 v-8, AWD, 4H and 4L. When it's cold, the truck runs very well. About 30 minutes into driving, the AWD seems to engage pre-maturly. I say this because it seems to bind slightly around corners, not like it's in 4H though. It seems to kick, or catch while going around corners as well. As I said before, it only does it when it has warmed up good. I wonder if the sensor which senses wheel slippage is malfunctioning or something to that effect. Has anyone had this problem?

United States

#27 Oct 2, 2007
Update, I disconnected the wires around the transfer case and the problem went away. So I know the problem is attributed to the AWD. This is obviously a band-aid as I can not use the 4WD now but it isn't winter yet and I can safetly use the vehicle without the possibility of damaging the 4WD. Ok, now we know where the problem is stemming from, maybe someone out there can clue me in.

United States

#28 Oct 2, 2007
This may not be the same thing but I have a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge that did the same thing. As a matter of fact, it quit working all together. The solution was a motor mounted by the transfer case that engages the 4X4. It was about a $500 fix. Works fine now. I think the clunk is normal. My truck and my Expedition both have the clunk in 4L.
Nick S wrote:
I was out in my 99 Expedition (XLT 5.4L) the past couple days in the major snow storm we just got. It wasn't coming out of 4L very easily. And both times that it did, less than 60 seconds later there was a giant clunk from beneath the car.
This morning I found a broken bolt in my driveway - could the clunk have been this bold being broken away???
everything seems to drive fine still - but I've only been using AWD and 4Hi.
arthur

Bridgewater, NJ

#29 Nov 15, 2007
joe mazzulla wrote:
no heat in the front just the back in my 1999 expedition
hi did you ever find out why you have no heat in the front please let me know i have the same problem thanks art
arthur

Bridgewater, NJ

#30 Nov 15, 2007
hi did you ever find out why you have no heat in the front please let me know i have the same problem thanks art
arthur

Bridgewater, NJ

#31 Nov 15, 2007
is there anyway i could manualy get to the flap so i could get heat and is it macanical or electical
RDH

Salem, OH

#32 Dec 5, 2007
joe wrote:
I had the same issue and the solution was to remove the GEM and dissassemble the thing the GEM plugs into.(I can give you a detailed process for this if needed since it is not made to come apart.) What happens is there is a leak from the windshield that is usually small. It drips down onto the GEM and because of the way it is oriented, it collects inside the GEM socket. This will cause all sorts of strange things to happen because of the transient voltages crossing into incorrect circuits. One of the things is the 4X4 won't disengage. I drilled out the two rivets/studs in the socket and, layer by layer, removed the plastic and metal plates. I dried them well and sprayed with WD40. reassembled after drilling drain holes in cover of socket (in case) and no trouble at all for two years now.
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, where is the GEM?
RDH

Salem, OH

#33 Dec 5, 2007
Hi Joe, where is the GEM?
saida

Bethlehem, PA

#34 Dec 22, 2007
can you send me a detailed note on where the GEM Module for a 98 expediton is so i can clean it so my 4x4 works...
joe wrote:
I had the same issue and the solution was to remove the GEM and dissassemble the thing the GEM plugs into.(I can give you a detailed process for this if needed since it is not made to come apart.) What happens is there is a leak from the windshield that is usually small. It drips down onto the GEM and because of the way it is oriented, it collects inside the GEM socket. This will cause all sorts of strange things to happen because of the transient voltages crossing into incorrect circuits. One of the things is the 4X4 won't disengage. I drilled out the two rivets/studs in the socket and, layer by layer, removed the plastic and metal plates. I dried them well and sprayed with WD40. reassembled after drilling drain holes in cover of socket (in case) and no trouble at all for two years now.
<quoted text>
Penn

Roanoke, VA

#35 Dec 27, 2007
Were is the Gem?
Dave

Redford, MI

#36 Jan 3, 2008
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother is having the same problem described above.Can you tell me were I can find this GEM module and how to take it apart.Thanks in advance
cca_347

Stratford, Canada

#37 Feb 21, 2008
I got a 2003 exepition my 4x4 will not work in any setting Fuses all good changed switch on dash,
motor at transfer case, 4x4 ecu still no luck will not even light up in dash
RACER48JR

United States

#38 Mar 14, 2008
I HAVE A 1998 FORD EXPEDITION WITH THE 5.4 THE OIL PRESSURE DOES NOT REGISTER WHEN I FIRST START IT THEN IF I SHUT IT OFF THEN START IT AGAIN IT REGISTERS. CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME
John

New Philadelphia, OH

#39 Mar 27, 2008
Hello,
Yes I would like the detailed process about the GEM module. I had the windshield resealed. Actually the sealer told me it was not the seal of the windshield but the weld seams that were causing the leaks. He assured me that the "windshield" would not leak anymore so I need to make the GEM work its best. Thanks in advance
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Tman

Clemson, SC

#40 Apr 9, 2008
Im having similar trouble. Is there a way to disconnect the all-wheel drive?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Expedition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 Expedition will not start (Sep '09) Sat Tom 15
98 Ford Expedition will not start Jul 19 Phil 1
98 expedition Jul 16 Panoga 1
2004 Ford Expedition Power Steering Issue (Sep '08) Jul 6 Ill will 13
2004 Ford Expedition XLT (rear) AC clicking sound (Apr '09) Jul 1 Ben 29
2000 expedition/leaking roof (May '06) Jun 24 Laura 36
1999 Ford Expedition - Car Troubles (Sep '07) Jun '17 jimmer1 171
More from around the web