2002 Escape Starts but won't idle

Posted in the Ford Escape Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dink2D

Carbondale, IL

#1 Aug 21, 2007
I've had this happen twice now, I go to start the Escape and it starts but as soon as I take my foot off the gas to put it in gear, it dies. I've got about 110,000 miles on it. Someone thought it might be my fuel filter, but I've also seen something about the Idle Air Control Valve.

Anyone else have this happen? Any solutions?
Dave

Austin, TX

#2 Sep 5, 2007
Dink2D wrote:
I've had this happen twice now, I go to start the Escape and it starts but as soon as I take my foot off the gas to put it in gear, it dies. I've got about 110,000 miles on it. Someone thought it might be my fuel filter, but I've also seen something about the Idle Air Control Valve.
Just had the exact same problem fixed with my Escape. It was the idle air control valve as you mentioned.
Dave

United States

#3 Sep 7, 2007
Dink2D wrote:
I had this exact same problem when the engine was cold, for me it was the Idle Control Valve (ICV).
Good luck!
Josh D

Owensboro, KY

#4 Oct 5, 2007
If the check engine light does not come on it is most likley the IAC.Idle Air Control Valve.
TexasTiger

Deer Park, TX

#5 Oct 6, 2007
I had the same problem, I swapped out the Idle Air Control module which had alot of carbon build up and that solved the problem.
tito

Horsham, PA

#6 Oct 11, 2007
I had the same exact problem swapped the air idle control unit .. and the truck was like new thanks ..
JMP

Southfield, MI

#7 Oct 12, 2007
2002 Escape - same problem. Any change with the weather, the engine would turn over and make lots of noise, but not start. Naturally i suspected a started issue, not the case.
Replaced the idle control valve, haven't had the problem since.
el in mechanicsville va

Mechanicsville, VA

#8 Oct 26, 2007
2002 Ford escape- truck will start then it dies. Replaced air idle contol and that solved the problem.
Dave

United States

#9 Nov 6, 2007
2001 Escape XLT 60K miles, and hard starting, give it some gas, takes off and then idles correctly. It will rev and then die, but if you hold the throttle, runs fine. Replacing IAC module....thanks for the info!
jason

Brentwood, TN

#10 Nov 19, 2007
Had the same problem. New IAC valve didn't fix it. I'm still fighting the problem, no vacuum leaks, can't find the reason.
Ford Escape 01

Milwaukee, WI

#11 Nov 23, 2007
Cold weather: Ford Escape 2001 - Engine starts but dies. If I give it gas - The engine will run. The engine idles better after warming the car up, but still some difficult at stoplights. After reading the comments, I will check the IAC valve, however one comment indicated there may be another problem if the check engine light is on. Beyond the IAC valve, should I consider other causes for the problem because the check engine light is on?
Pabonius Maximus

New Rochelle, NY

#12 Nov 27, 2007
I had the same problem even after changing the IAC. For me it was the catalytic converter. Runs like nre even with 159,000 miles
steve in missouri

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Dec 3, 2007
My 2001 Ford Escape V6 has the same problem. I already replaced the mass air flow sensor. Everyone think I should replace the IACValve as well?
Pam

Panama City, FL

#14 Dec 4, 2007
My 2002 Ford Escape has 79,000 miles on it and I was having the same problem. Tap the idle control valve because it could just be stuck. If the problem reoccurs then have the the valve replaced.
alex

San Antonio, TX

#15 Dec 22, 2007
I replaced the throttle position sensor and had immediate results. its only 30 bucks. still waiting for long term results, because I got a p1507 just before replacing it.(thats a different trbl). I wouldn't recommend it, but I had adjusted an 8mm bolt and raised the idle, had it like that for a year.
jason wrote:
Had the same problem. New IAC valve didn't fix it. I'm still fighting the problem, no vacuum leaks, can't find the reason.
alex

San Antonio, TX

#16 Dec 22, 2007
note above is regarding stalling on cold start
mcounty

Brentwood, TN

#17 Jan 16, 2008
I just got mine fixed. No more bad idle when the engine is cold. I replaced the IAC valve, fuel filter, PCV vacuum hose, and flushed the injectors, all of which didn't help. Finally, I had the intake gasket replaced,($350 for the gasket and labor), and now the engine runs PERFECT!!! I would have the intake gasket looked at on all these Escapes and Tributes that are having this rough idle problem.
NATHAN

Durham, NC

#18 Jan 21, 2008
My mother has an '01 Ford Escape and mom-in-law has an '01 Mazda Tribute. Both have just over 100K mi. and the same 3.0 V6 and both start up ok when cold but then start to idle so rough the ford is setting misfire codes on #3 and #5. I've replaced the plugs, intake gaskets, and the IAC [twice, incase it was a bad new part] No more codes but still idles BAD when cold, almost stalls. Runs perfect after about 3 min. or when warmed up. Paid Ford dealer $96, they told me plugs and IAC would fix it.....NOPE. ANY IDEAS? THX..
BCJ

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Feb 2, 2008
I bought a 2001 escape new and have 116500 on it now. I've had the cold idle problem described for about 20K miles now. At first I just lived with it. As its become worse, I've begun a shot gun approach to fixing it. I don't trust the dealers to fix problems like this without many repeat visits and charging me. I figure I can guess at whats wrong as easily as anyone. So I've replaced one of four oxygen sensors that my engine code said was bad, replaced my IAC, and all the EGR parts (valve, solenoid, and differential sensor). Problem is still there. Although it seems to go away for a week after the ox sensor replacement. PuzzIing. I've seen a couple posts (here and elsewhere) that recommended changing the intake gaskets. That's a couple hours and relativly cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

By the way, people seem to be having transmission issues. I was getting a bump between 1st and 2nd gears at 25K. I had the transmission power flushed. Problem went away until 50K. Did that again, and haven't had the problem since. It was my idea to do it - the dealership gave me the usual crap. You all know the stories. I recommend buying a Chilton manual, and ordering parts on-line. You'll burn some afternoons, but repairs aren't that hard, really, and it can save you hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
Danny

Morgan City, LA

#20 Feb 15, 2008
NATHAN wrote:
My mother has an '01 Ford Escape and mom-in-law has an '01 Mazda Tribute. Both have just over 100K mi. and the same 3.0 V6 and both start up ok when cold but then start to idle so rough the ford is setting misfire codes on #3 and #5. I've replaced the plugs, intake gaskets, and the IAC [twice, incase it was a bad new part] No more codes but still idles BAD when cold, almost stalls. Runs perfect after about 3 min. or when warmed up. Paid Ford dealer $96, they told me plugs and IAC would fix it.....NOPE. ANY IDEAS? THX..
My fiance's '01 Escape is having same problem. I've replaced the IAC, fuel filter, plugs and coils (all 6), flushed fuel system, still same problem. Took to the Ford place and they tell me it's the lower intake manifold gaskets leaking. Quoted $500 to fix. I'm going to try to do the work myself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Escape Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Power Steering problems (Feb '07) 10 hr rita simon 13
brakes/rotors (Apr '06) Aug 28 Latie 93
2003 ford escape anti-theft ignition problem (Apr '07) Aug 25 kayla 12
2005 Escape 3.0 wont idle Aug 19 olddawg 3
changing alternator 2003 escape (Feb '07) Aug 19 angie 109
2002 Ford Escape (Feb '06) Aug 16 Jean 441
Ignition coils - 2005 Escape (Apr '07) Aug 12 nofordagain 42
More from around the web