Ignition coils - 2005 Escape

Posted in the Ford Escape Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jennifer

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Apr 5, 2007
My car wouldn't start this morning, and when it did, the CEL came on. Went to the mechanic this afternoon and found out that one of my ignition coils was cracked and 4 others have hairline fractures. And, the cracked ignition coil had shorted my ECM. Anyone else have this problem with their Escape? I was told by my mechanic that these should last at least to 100,000 miles.
Mazlan

Malaysia

#2 May 16, 2008
Changed mine at about 100,000 miles (160,000 km)
Ford Escape 2.0A XLT year 2001
Bob

Sanford, ME

#3 May 17, 2009
On our way to Connecticutt , to Foxwoods,on Christmas Eve 2008, we were about 10 miles from our destination when our 2005 Escape started running rough. It died on the way to the next highway exit approximately 1 mile away. We had to call AAA to tow us to the closest dealership. Of course this took quite awhile because it was Christmas Eve after all and the dealership was closed. We had a terrific tow truck driver because he took us to our destination. The day after Christmas we contacted the dealership and they told us that two coils fried and that blew the ECM. The Ecm was under warranty but we had to pay for the replacement coils. It cost us $794.00 for the repairs. NOw, fast forward to May 17, 2009, guess what? We went to leave that morning and the car started running rough (sound familiar) and firing intermittently. Decided not to leave our garage because we didn't want to burn out the ECM again. Called our mechanical son who came and checked the car and he diagnosed that it was another coil. Had to replace the coil which was another $100.00 and the car runs fine now. I believe there is a design flaw in the coils. They shouldn't be burning up on a vehicle that is only 4 years old.
Paul

Chicago, IL

#4 May 29, 2009
Rinsed dirt from around engine bay and little ford started running rough.Tryed to dry coil plugs and ecm harness with compressed air,but still no luck.Continued to run rough and finally stopped running.My suggestion would be to never get these wet because even with me getting parts at cost for owning a buisness I still have to spend over 900.00 to make it run and still have the dealer reprogram for 140.00.Good luck to whoever owns an escape,I won't much longer.
jrw

Tacoma, WA

#5 Nov 13, 2009
same thing with my 05 limited- arcs in the coils burns out the computer-repeatedly. Too bad, really like the vehicle for first 80,000 miles, but can't trust it any more!
Pat

Des Moines, IA

#6 Dec 9, 2009
2005 Escape; at a funeral in Iowa, started but sounded like a 4wheeler!! Night before Thanksgiving so we had it towed to a friends shop.$2,000.00 later it's to be fixed by the end of the week. Replaced all 6 coils and the computer!! Ford is out of computers for the Escape....wonder why???.......I think we all know why.
traci sizmore

Fairfield, OH

#7 Mar 11, 2010
I love my escapte but after what i have been through this last month i would not recommend this suv to anyone! my car stopped on the expressway with my 20 year old son driving it! It started running rough after he got it restarted. A close friend of my use to work for Ford and he stated it was a bad coil, then it was the wiring harness that shorted when the coil went out then the ecm (brain) due to shorting out because of the coil. He called his friend that he use to work for and was told that ford put out a TS about it back in 2006 I never got anything about this in the mail I bought mine brand new. He fixed the coil and the wiring harness for me and needed to get the ecm reprogrammed but it wouldnt take it was damaged. Now I am trying to find the ECM for my SUV. Ford wont do anything about it since my car is not under warranty anymore but they new about this and did nothing. They sound like Toyota now dont they
Leo Skinner

St. John's, Canada

#8 Mar 16, 2010
I own a 2005 ford escape ,I recently had the fuel injector replaced along with the computer.Worked great and now 2 days later problems again,they are telling me the ignition coils need to be replaced.Only 90000 kms on it.
Djm

Silver Spring, MD

#9 Nov 18, 2010
At 60k miles last year I had symptoms of rough engine with my 2005 Escape, and had to replace coil #4. A year later, at 70k miles #5/6 have just gone bad. CEL came on this time. So, yes I am taking the recommendation to replace all the other coils to the tune of $1400. From previous posters, seems like a common issue.
Bob

Sanford, ME

#10 Nov 18, 2010
If you have an Auto Zone near you, we got the coils we had to replace for around $80.00 a piece. Ford charges $250.00. Good Luck
Jack

Westlake, OH

#11 Dec 1, 2010
I heard that to get to the back three on the V6 you have to pull the intake manifold off the engine. Seems like a screwed up design. Either the components should be designed for 100K miles or more or the layout should allo for much easier access. This is a great cash flow machine for the dealership repair shops! What an F'd up design!
Kristi

Cleveland, OH

#12 Dec 10, 2010
I have a 2003 Ford Escape and have replaced at least 4 engine coils (can't remember how many for sure but at least 4) and all the spark plugs. Now I'm having the same problem and it's probably another engine coil the mechanic thinks but check engine light hasn't come on yet and the problem is intermittent. I've spent about $3000 on these issues and the problems started happening as soon as it went out of extended warranty (75K miles). Surprise, surprise huh? If there is such a big problem with these coils, why the hell aren't they doing something about it? My mom is retired from Ford, but my father in law works at GM so I think I'm going to cross over to GM for my next car purchase. Problem is they have no SUV that I like. Oh yeah, and I've also replaced 2 of 3 catalytic converters and had a new alternator put in which was an $800 job in itself. Mechanic said it was the most expensive alternator job he's ever done on a domestic car and he was ashamed of Ford for designing a car where so much labor is needed to get to alternator.
Ted

Springfield, IL

#13 Feb 11, 2011
Same issue with the coils. My Car started to run rough after Chicago temperature dropped to -10. I only have 52K miles on my 05 Escape. I thought the weather was the issue. Brought car to one mechanic. Same story, replace all 6 coils and the ECM. Grand total of $2652! I told the guy I needed to get another opinion. Another mechanic said 3 of the coils need replacing and the ECM seems to be fine. Needs to do more assessment after replacing coils and tune up. How can Ford not have a recall for this?
Kevin

Wallingford, CT

#14 Apr 4, 2011
Ted wrote:
Same issue with the coils. My Car started to run rough after Chicago temperature dropped to -10. I only have 52K miles on my 05 Escape. I thought the weather was the issue. Brought car to one mechanic. Same story, replace all 6 coils and the ECM. Grand total of $2652! I told the guy I needed to get another opinion. Another mechanic said 3 of the coils need replacing and the ECM seems to be fine. Needs to do more assessment after replacing coils and tune up. How can Ford not have a recall for this?
We have a 2004 Escape. Changed first ignition coil at 70k, 2 more at about 85k and now running rough at 102k. Going to replace the last 3 and see if it runs any better. After reading all these posts, I'm concerned the ECM could be the problem as well. Bummer. Great vehicle when it's running. ;-)
Kevin

Wallingford, CT

#15 Apr 4, 2011
We have a 2004 Escape. Changed first ignition coil at 70k, 2 more at about 85k and now running rough at 102k. Going to replace the last 3 and see if it runs any better. After reading all these posts, I'm concerned the ECM could be the problem as well. Bummer. Great vehicle when it's running. ;-)
sam

United States

#16 Apr 25, 2011
my 01 escape has been missing out for quite some time. Three trips to the shop they finally fixed it. Rained last week and when it ran the worst took it to autozone and the tester said fourth cylinder misfire. mechanic replaced plug,plug boots and ignition cylinder, Runs really good now. wish me luck
Tim

Lawton, OK

#17 May 6, 2011
We have a 2003 and have replaced 4 mass airflow sensors now! No one can seem to diagnose the problem. The car just shuts off whenever it wants to! All the diagnostic checks we've had say mass aiflow sensor, it's obviously something else but what else could it be?
frod

Brooklyn, NY

#18 May 22, 2011
bought 2005 brand new from dealer. first coil replaced at 30k miles. A year later all coils replaced. 3 months after that another coil and now 1 week later same issue!!!..wth!!!..when will it ever end!?!?..
Coil went also

Southbury, CT

#19 Jun 29, 2011
2001 Ford Escape

Bad coil for Cylinder #4
Bill

Hollywood, FL

#20 Jul 14, 2011
at 80,000 miles everything started to fall apart
1) blown head gasket
2) air conditioning pump and condensor
3) 6 ignition coils and ECM
as other people have said, great vehicle when it runs!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Escape Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
06 Ford Escape stopped while driving Apr 20 Zdeeeew 1
a/c not working Apr 19 jules 1
Alarm Apr 12 Cyndi 1
2002 Escape 4WD XLT Engine Whining Noise (Jun '07) Apr 7 Byson25 34
2001 ford escape starting problems (Sep '08) Mar 30 MAtt 36
Misfire Mar 29 CAS 1
2011 escape All lights in instrument cluster on Mar 29 laary b 1
More from around the web