jayce123

Jacksonville, FL

#41 Jul 5, 2009
I replaced all of the coils and the escape runs perfect now(read the post above). I did not buy the whole coil for a cost of $65.00 each, i just replaced the boots and the coils springs at a cost of 7.00 for each. Why pay for the whole coil which includes the electrical componets when all you need to replace is the coil spring itself. what a huge savings.
Salaam

Los Angeles, CA

#42 Sep 20, 2009
Hello, my wife has a 2001 Ford Escape XLS. Yesterday morning, her and my daughter went somewhere close by it was fine. Last night she went out, the car would not turn over unless you give it gas. Once you take your foot off the gas pedal, it doesn't sustain, it shuts off. At my brother's request, I unlocked the clamps to try to remove air filter to see if we can bypass the filter. Didn't get very far, so I closed it back up. Now the car doesn't even fire up when you give it gas like it did earlier. Any ideas?
Eabby From NC

Raleigh, NC

#43 Sep 23, 2009
Leo Martinez wrote:
<quoted text> The problem is the outside door handle broke. My wife's 2001 Escape had the problem on both front doors. I had to order the part and removed the inside door panel to replace them. Part was around $30, took about an hour. Chiltons manual had the procedure. Be careful with the electrical switches. I had to replace one because I got too rough disconnecting it.
I have a 2001 Escape...(118,000 miles) and I have both problems... with IAC and both front doors not opening...I can get out but not in. I have not fixed either...I will soon. Has anyone else had any issues with the CD changer? Mine would knock off for a few hours ...then work again. Or work one day and not the other...now it doesn't work at all..CDs stuck... uuuggg ...any advice?
ravin323

Leonia, NJ

#44 Oct 5, 2009
HI, I have ford escape 2001 4wd 6.0l for 8 months no problems but, i few days ago start doing somenthing rare vibrating went i tried to go in a hill and I am push the gas but go away and went I stop like 2 minutes start vibrating and losin power and rpm go up and down.
I went auto zone they scan the car they found 4 codes this are the codes
P0457
P0401
P0304
P0455

what can't be.
thanks
John

Media, PA

#45 Oct 5, 2009
Rough idle only when it rains or the car gets wet, could all of my plug wores be bad
John

Media, PA

#46 Oct 5, 2009
2001 Escape runs rough when it rains, engine light comes on, idles rough, goes away after you drive it a couple of days.
maybe

Berea, KY

#47 Oct 11, 2009
i am an owner of a 2001 ford escape. its the worst car you could get. it starts and immediately dies out or doesn't even turn over to start. any help?
danno

Camrose, Canada

#48 Oct 12, 2009
Hey ppls my 01 escape started the whole cold startup an won't ide thing and i tell ya its a pain in the butt!!!!! how it all started was my cat... converter pluged up and killed my engine while driving down the highway. got i fixed put a new cat... in and started to do the rough ide thing so i brought it to a series of mechanics and the all said it was an o2 sensor.... thats nt true if they tell u that the sensor acually reads how weak or powerfull the exaust is!!!!!any way mu buddy put the computer on my excape and only showed 1 code miss fire in cylinder 6 so i changed the plug and coil still nthn!!!!! so now im asumming it could b a mannifold leak or somthn du to my cat.... plugg'n up that would b alot of pressure!!!! im still gettn it looked at but its funny how no1 really has a clue anymore about these new vehicles on wats wrong with them lol its nt like the ol' mechanical engines where it was three things like fuel,air,spark, and or timming lol
Spud

Altoona, PA

#49 Oct 15, 2009
Eabby From NC wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a 2001 Escape...(118,000 miles) and I have both problems... with IAC and both front doors not opening...I can get out but not in. I have not fixed either...I will soon. Has anyone else had any issues with the CD changer? Mine would knock off for a few hours ...then work again. Or work one day and not the other...now it doesn't work at all..CDs stuck... uuuggg ...any advice?
I replaced the IAC yesterday and my starting/idling problems instantly fixed - for $125! only took 2 minutes to change it.
I also had problems with the cd changer and finally figured mine out just last week. One of the cd's was too thick! I had a heck of a time removing it, but once i did, the changer works perfectly. I went 3 months without a cd player before i figured it out. Look in the door and if there's a cd showing (or if the door is slightly open) that may be your problem.
matt

United States

#50 Oct 15, 2009
my wifes escape was doin the same thing. We had my friend, who is a certified gm mechanic, took a look at it and it just needed the throttle plate cleaned after that it ran fine but it will cost anywhere from $100-200 for that. If it is dieing after raining then it probably is the IAC valve which is an easy fix only cost $50 for the part
Spud

Osceola Mills, PA

#51 Oct 16, 2009
I was charged $125 for a new Motorcraft IAC. They originally told me it would be $165, but for some reason lowered it (I think after they saw my jaw drop). They did only charge me $7 to put it on - approx 2 minute job. Also did not charge me to run the scan since I am a regular customer. Problem is completely gone now though.
jay

Nashua, NH

#52 Dec 3, 2009
It doesnt matter what you guys change if you dont know what you are doing. Bring it to a ford garage. Stop throwing parts at your car if you dont know what you are doing. These problems are simple to fix if you have an idea on how thigs work
jayce123

Jacksonville, FL

#53 Dec 9, 2009
John wrote:
2001 Escape runs rough when it rains, engine light comes on, idles rough, goes away after you drive it a couple of days.
My escape does the same thing, i have noticed it is moisture on the coils (from the rain) once you drive it and the moisture evaporates from the heat of the engine it will run fine. But you have to turn the car off and let it sit for about five minutes, crank it up and it should be fine.
T Brown in NC

Simpsonville, SC

#54 Dec 22, 2009
TMM wrote:
<quoted text> I have the same problem with the driver side front door and my driver side back door won't even open. Did you ever find out how to fix? I heard they can be reset when unlocking the door and holding the door handle in the open positions. Of course this did not work for me...
no the outside door handle will have to be replaced they are made of plastic the front mounting bolt/nut becomes seperated from the handle if you hold the front edge of handle to door while pulling the release part of handle it will open I know had to fix my daughters 2001 escape pass rear door
T Brown in NC

Simpsonville, SC

#55 Dec 22, 2009
jayce123 wrote:
2002 ford escape, my ford spit out a egr code so i replaced that about 6 months ago. The other day it started running rough at idle and 2 more codes were given p0304 and p0305. So i replaced the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the IAC valve, and replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets. The codes said it could be a vacume leak so that is why i replaced the gaskets. Now the truck runs smother at idle but does alot of bucking and surging when giving it gas, not much power either. I am guessing it is miss firing? could it be the timming? the only thing i have not replaced is the coils, They are expensive! any help on what my next step should be?
p0304 and p0305 aremissfire codes for cyl4and5 if you have allready replaced the spark plugs and didnt damage them or closed the plug gap then you will most likly have to reeplace the coils
LisFam

AOL

#57 Jan 14, 2010
I have a 2001 ford escape v6, I've had all my spark plugs changed, 2 coils, all gaskets, dpfe sensor, egr valve, gas and air filter. Last week started it and it was running rough with the engine light blinking, this is when my cousin changed the coil on the number 4 spark plug, auto zone told me I had a cylinder 4 misfire. After he changed it, it still ran rough and had no power, he pulled over lifted up the hood and a hole blew in my egr valve!!!! Help, what the heck is wrong with this thing?
lee perkins

Rock Port, MO

#58 Jan 18, 2010
GA Brown wrote:
Original owner of 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 with 121K miles having rough idle when starting cold and is light throughout the day. Problem is not consistent so mechanic will not look at until all the time. I suspect it is either exhaust, fuel, or ignition related. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?
have them check the cats and the intake mine was doing the same thing then quite running all together fords wanting 4000 to fix it
lee perkins

Rock Port, MO

#59 Jan 18, 2010
danno wrote:
Hey ppls my 01 escape started the whole cold startup an won't ide thing and i tell ya its a pain in the butt!!!!! how it all started was my cat... converter pluged up and killed my engine while driving down the highway. got i fixed put a new cat... in and started to do the rough ide thing so i brought it to a series of mechanics and the all said it was an o2 sensor.... thats nt true if they tell u that the sensor acually reads how weak or powerfull the exaust is!!!!!any way mu buddy put the computer on my excape and only showed 1 code miss fire in cylinder 6 so i changed the plug and coil still nthn!!!!! so now im asumming it could b a mannifold leak or somthn du to my cat.... plugg'n up that would b alot of pressure!!!! im still gettn it looked at but its funny how no1 really has a clue anymore about these new vehicles on wats wrong with them lol its nt like the ol' mechanical engines where it was three things like fuel,air,spark, and or timming lol
sounds like the cats biult up enuff pressure to take out the intake have it looked at that is what happened to mine
Laz

United States

#60 Jan 19, 2010
Chris ase mechanic wrote:
Contact me for any questions on Ford vehicles I work with ford and have been a mechanic for only 10 years. Thankyou
Today I changed the spark plugs and Idle control valve, and a belt.My vehicle is still giving me low idle problems in morning or cold starts. It vibrates like it wants to shut off. How do I check for leaks around the intakes.Or could there be something else wrong.
I would appriciate your help.
Thanks
Laz ( jenizzi@yahoo.com )
Jp Swanson

Becker, MN

#61 Jan 23, 2010
GA Brown wrote:
Original owner of 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 with 121K miles having rough idle when starting cold and is light throughout the day. Problem is not consistent so mechanic will not look at until all the time. I suspect it is either exhaust, fuel, or ignition related. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?
Yes mine does the same thing but only ocasionally it is very erratic runs rough then OK
later

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Escape Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Escape Service Engine light (Feb '08) Tue Robin 71
News Test Drive: 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Review (Jan '09) Mar 26 BK Flozell 4
2001 Escape V6 misfire and shuddering (Mar '07) Mar 23 Richard 207
2003 v6 4wd turning off while driving Mar 18 Bailey223 1
2001 Escape w/ automatic transmission stuck in ... (Oct '09) Mar 16 privel 46
2002 Ford Escape (Feb '06) Mar 9 Choc 438
2003 ford escape anti-theft ignition problem (Apr '07) Mar 7 Thaddeusbz 10
More from around the web