Video: Bob Lutz says Via Motors' X-Truck makes Prius look like a 'gas guzzler'

There are 11 comments on the Autoblog story from Jan 11, 2013, titled Video: Bob Lutz says Via Motors' X-Truck makes Prius look like a 'gas guzzler'. In it, Autoblog reports that:

No one's ever accused Bob Lutz of underselling his products, and the former General Motors Vice Chairman a key development force for the Chevrolet Volt is at it again with Via Motors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Autoblog.

Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Jan 12, 2013
B.S. Bob making claims based on political spin, he didn't learn from the Chevy Volt, so now he has moved on to something "different" and is making the same lame claims. Depending on the particular owner's daily drive, will determine how high a MPGe will be. If you live in a mountainous area, MPGe will be a lot less than a drive on surface streets under 50 MPH. If you have to jump onto a freeway to get to work, then MPGe will be much less, since at freeway speeds you'll only see maybe 10 miles all electric before the ICE engine starts for the rest of the drive. With the way automotive manufacturers are building their hybrids, one would need a 75KWh battery pack to get a decent driving range out of a full sized vehicle. Even with lithium ion technology, a 75KWh battery pack would weigh somewhere around 1900 pounds. Yeah, and you still have to carry around that 1900 pounds when the battery pack is drained.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#2 Jan 14, 2013
Solarman wrote:
B.S. Bob making claims based on political spin, he didn't learn from the Chevy Volt, so now he has moved on to something "different" and is making the same lame claims. Depending on the particular owner's daily drive, will determine how high a MPGe will be. If you live in a mountainous area, MPGe will be a lot less than a drive on surface streets under 50 MPH. If you have to jump onto a freeway to get to work, then MPGe will be much less, since at freeway speeds you'll only see maybe 10 miles all electric before the ICE engine starts for the rest of the drive. With the way automotive manufacturers are building their hybrids, one would need a 75KWh battery pack to get a decent driving range out of a full sized vehicle. Even with lithium ion technology, a 75KWh battery pack would weigh somewhere around 1900 pounds. Yeah, and you still have to carry around that 1900 pounds when the battery pack is drained.
PG&E is buying all the Via Motors Trucks made for their fleet. They are trading in their 15 mpg clunkers for 100 mpg trucks. They average less than 50 miles per day, mostly on city streets.

I average 46 miles in my Volt during summer. I got 50 twice. I think Bob Lutz is a genius. He must be, he developed the BMW 3 series and the Viper.

Why don't you go to Jay Leno's garage and see his review of the Via Motors Truck. He showed the screen after 13 miles of driving fairly hard and he still had 51 miles left on the range. And that was in a 4 wheel drive version of the truck, and with only a 24 kw battery pack. 75 kw????

Your knowledge of range on these types of vehicles obviously comes from anti-Volt sites, not from real world experience.

Mpgomatic drove the Volt for 600 miles and came up with 40 miles electric and 43 mpg on gas on average. Almost all Volt owners report 43 mpg on gas.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#3 Jan 17, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
PG&E is buying all the Via Motors Trucks made for their fleet. They are trading in their 15 mpg clunkers for 100 mpg trucks. They average less than 50 miles per day, mostly on city streets.
I average 46 miles in my Volt during summer. I got 50 twice. I think Bob Lutz is a genius. He must be, he developed the BMW 3 series and the Viper.
Why don't you go to Jay Leno's garage and see his review of the Via Motors Truck. He showed the screen after 13 miles of driving fairly hard and he still had 51 miles left on the range. And that was in a 4 wheel drive version of the truck, and with only a 24 kw battery pack. 75 kw????
Your knowledge of range on these types of vehicles obviously comes from anti-Volt sites, not from real world experience.
Mpgomatic drove the Volt for 600 miles and came up with 40 miles electric and 43 mpg on gas on average. Almost all Volt owners report 43 mpg on gas.
One of the worst lies you'll ever tell is the one you tell yourself. Power is power, it doesn't matter how it is supplied, by batteries or by ICE. If you drive a vehicle hard you will get lower MPG, easier more MPG. YOUR understanding of physics is lacking. As far as Jay Leno's "projected" range left of 51 miles will depend on how hard he CONTINUES to drive the vehicle. You can get 43 MPG or better with an Audi A3 TDI, big deal. I can find a dealership that can work on an Audi or a VW. There are Chevrolet dealerships that are having trouble working on Volts though. You may have not experienced any maintenance problems "yet", but when you do, good luck. It's not a 24KW battery pack, it's a 24KWh battery pack. 24KW for one hour. Like the Volt, to get the battery pack to perform for years, they will limit the full charge and discharge of the battery pack. It will be more like 18KWh.
Conservative

Santa Clara, CA

#4 Jan 26, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>One of the worst lies you'll ever tell is the one you tell yourself. Power is power, it doesn't matter how it is supplied, by batteries or by ICE. If you drive a vehicle hard you will get lower MPG, easier more MPG. YOUR understanding of physics is lacking. As far as Jay Leno's "projected" range left of 51 miles will depend on how hard he CONTINUES to drive the vehicle. You can get 43 MPG or better with an Audi A3 TDI, big deal. I can find a dealership that can work on an Audi or a VW. There are Chevrolet dealerships that are having trouble working on Volts though. You may have not experienced any maintenance problems "yet", but when you do, good luck. It's not a 24KW battery pack, it's a 24KWh battery pack. 24KW for one hour. Like the Volt, to get the battery pack to perform for years, they will limit the full charge and discharge of the battery pack. It will be more like 18KWh.
43 mpg is a gas guzzler. My lifetime mpg is well over 1,000. My total charging costs for 15 months is just under $290. All monitored by my Kill-A-Watt meter. You lack real world experience with these cars. You read and think you know. There are no dealerships having problems with Volts. Only dealerships too cheap to train their mechanics.

Only World Class Technicians  are allowed to work on the Volt. The # 1 Volt dealership in the country is Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, CA. 40% of their business is Volts. We have quarterly Volt owners meetings and they have to limit the crowd to 50 owners. They have 3 world class technicians. 

As for Jay Leno's video, He had more range than when he started! Watch the video!!! You will notice that the screen says that the mpg was at 198. The claim is for 100 mpg. Get it? He could load the truck with equipment and lead foot it and then get down to 100 mpg.

You don't understand this because you have no experience with these cars. I have a YT video showing a typical summer day of 50 miles. There is a video of a 60 mile day. When I drive it hard, I get 43 - 45 miles. But ... And this is the part you are having problems with, I start at 40 miles. In warm weather, I constantly gain 1 mile in range for every 2.5 miles driven. Sometimes better. That includes freeway driving, though not as dramatic.

Any Volt owner reading this understands. I am not telling myself any lies. I have 15 months experience with this car and I'm still learning. Someone with no experience who thinks he knows everything is the one telling himself lies.
Solarman

Twentynine Palms, CA

#5 Jan 26, 2013
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
43 mpg is a gas guzzler. My lifetime mpg is well over 1,000. My total charging costs for 15 months is just under $290. All monitored by my Kill-A-Watt meter. You lack real world experience with these cars. You read and think you know. There are no dealerships having problems with Volts. Only dealerships too cheap to train their mechanics.
Only World Class Technicians  are allowed to work on the Volt. The # 1 Volt dealership in the country is Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose, CA. 40% of their business is Volts. We have quarterly Volt owners meetings and they have to limit the crowd to 50 owners. They have 3 world class technicians. 
As for Jay Leno's video, He had more range than when he started! Watch the video!!! You will notice that the screen says that the mpg was at 198. The claim is for 100 mpg. Get it? He could load the truck with equipment and lead foot it and then get down to 100 mpg.
You don't understand this because you have no experience with these cars. I have a YT video showing a typical summer day of 50 miles. There is a video of a 60 mile day. When I drive it hard, I get 43 - 45 miles. But ... And this is the part you are having problems with, I start at 40 miles. In warm weather, I constantly gain 1 mile in range for every 2.5 miles driven. Sometimes better. That includes freeway driving, though not as dramatic.
Any Volt owner reading this understands. I am not telling myself any lies. I have 15 months experience with this car and I'm still learning. Someone with no experience who thinks he knows everything is the one telling himself lies.
The truth is YOU'VE had no experience with with this product,isn't that the case? Now you're trying to tell everyone else YOUR lies. You name ONE chevrolet dealership in San Jose that has trained Volt mechanics and cavalierly call the "other" dealerships cheap. By your inane logic, anyone who buys a Volt will need to go to San Jose to get service on their Volt, yeah right. Volkswagen and Audi have small diesel powered products that are California CARB legal that can be driven to get 50 MPG, perhaps more. A little heads up numbnuts, because YOU think, I, think I know it all doesn't make it true. Do you see your assinine fallacy here? What I do have is a good grasp of Physics and if you drive ANY vehicle hard the power per mile traveled will be less than driving the same vehicle easy. Driving on city streets under 50 MPH will net higher fuel mileage than driving on a freeway at 65+ MPH. Of course I would expect this from someone that doesn't know the difference between 24KW and 24KWh of energy. Say hey to your evil twin, Iluvmyvolt.
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#6 Jan 27, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>The truth is YOU'VE had no experience with with this product,isn't that the case? Now you're trying to tell everyone else YOUR lies. You name ONE chevrolet dealership in San Jose that has ..........
I drove 78 miles on the freeway today. Averaged 68 mph. I used .9 gallons of gas. Once again. You are clueless. I guess you haven't heard that most Volts are sold in CA. Just a few miles from Courtesy is Capitol Chevrolet. They are the # 2 Volt dealer in the USA.

Once again. Review the video. The truck had more range than when they started. Jay Leno said he was not light footing it. The MPG was at 198. Once again, they can load it up and drive hard and drop the mpg by a factor of 2 and still be at their claimed mpg.

That's another thing you don't realize. All claims by GM and VIA are low because the EPA tests on dynes. These types of autos can't perform as in the real world because regenerative actions can't occur on a dyno.

Mpgomatic drove the Volt for 600 moles and achieved 43 mpg gas vs 38 from the EPA. They also achieved 40 electric's 35 for the EPA.
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Most Volt owners eventually end up driving in L because the regenerative effect is much greater in L. Once again, I gain miles on my range as I drive. Whether I drive hard or not. I gain fewer if I drive hard.

Here is my video of a 50 mile total range day
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Here's a video I made for another hater that didn't believe I drove 2555 miles & only used 2 gallons of gas.

Here's another video for another hater. A 49 mile range day. I gained 8 miles in range after driving only 19 miles. That's a gain of almost 50%. 

I love the way you haters "know" how these cars work and you call REAL VOLT OWNERS liars and exaggerators. 

It's an amazing car. That is why the Society of Automotive Engineers named it Best Engineered Car. That is why it is the first American car to ever be named European Car Of The Year. That is why it beat 130 competitors in the Monte Carlo Alternative Fuel Rally. Took 4 of the top 10. Beat Tesla and all diesels. 

That is no exaggeration.

All your knowledge about physics gives you zero experience with these cars. Try visiting real owners web sites without your prejudice getting in the way. Maybe you'll learn something.
Solarman

Twentynine Palms, CA

#7 Jan 27, 2013
Wow. Iluvmyvolt, what a drama queen. Volt "hater" really, REALLY! The prejudice is YOURS. Your DOGMA is stepping on your karma. Your youtube video proves nothing. It is a calculation based on a power sample taken to do a calculation. Every GM car has had one of these MPG "calculators" since the 1980's. I have been on mountain roads and the fuel monitor would show maybe 18MPG going up hill. When going down hill the mileage calculation changed to somewhere around 35 to 38 MPG. A fill up at the end of the trip showed an actual MPG of about 21. So, you can't go by the trip computer as Gospal. I can get a programmer to go into a VW Jetta, Jetta wagon diesel that has information that helps one "high mile" to acheive good performance and fuel mileage, Your "other" youtube video has the guy getting 42.9 MPG on an extended trip, you can get this or better with the VW and Audi diesels. You've proven nothing but your prejudice, bias and institutionalized thinking of your Volt purchase. It takes about 8 million lines of code to fly a 767, it takes about 10 million lines of code to make a Volt run. Automotive mechanics will have problems with this unit across the country, one dealership does not a quality product make. Was it Barnam or Lutz that was quoted as saying,"There's a sucker born every minute." SUCKER!!!!!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#8 Jan 27, 2013
Solarman wrote:
Wow. Iluvmyvolt, what a drama queen. Volt "hater" really, REALLY! The prejudice is YOURS. Your DOGMA is stepping on your karma. Your youtube video proves nothing. It is a calculation based on a power sample taken to do a calculation. Every GM car has had one of these MPG "calculators" since the 1980's. I have been on mountain roads and the fuel monitor would show maybe 18MPG going up hill. When going down hill the mileage calculation changed to somewhere around 35 to 38 MPG. A fill .....
I guess all of us suckers just love our Volts. I guess the SAE are a bunch of know nothings, and I guess the fact that the Volt was the first American car to ever be named Best European Car means nothing. Oh yeah, and the European Volt beating out 130 entrants, including the best diesels in the Monte Carlo Alternative Fuel Rally means nothing. Being that the best diesels were bested by the Volt, Diesel Car publication named the Volt Best Eco Car.

And by the way, the range shown on the full charge is nothing but a reflection of recent past history. There is no calculation. You drive sanely and the computer will show you what you can get if you drive the same way. If you go out and drive crazy, the next day the computer will show you what you will get if you do it again. You still don't seem to get it, you gain range as you drive! There are people who have gone over 60 actual miles on a single charge. There is no calculation about actual miles. Quit thinking you know about these cars. You don't.
Solarman

Twentynine Palms, CA

#9 Jan 27, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess all of us suckers just love our Volts. I guess the SAE are a bunch of know nothings, and I guess the fact that the Volt was the first American car to ever be named Best European Car means nothing. Oh yeah, and the European Volt beating out 130 entrants, including the best diesels in the Monte Carlo Alternative Fuel Rally means nothing. Being that the best diesels were bested by the Volt, Diesel Car publication named the Volt Best Eco Car.
And by the way, the range shown on the full charge is nothing but a reflection of recent past history. There is no calculation. You drive sanely and the computer will show you what you can get if you drive the same way. If you go out and drive crazy, the next day the computer will show you what you will get if you do it again. You still don't seem to get it, you gain range as you drive! There are people who have gone over 60 actual miles on a single charge. There is no calculation about actual miles. Quit thinking you know about these cars. You don't.
SUCKER!!!!!
iluvmyVolt

Santa Clara, CA

#10 Jan 28, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>SUCKER!!!!!
My Volt gave me a  22% return the first year. $39,500 -$7,500 credit -$1,300 gas savings. A 4% return every year after. That's a 38% return in 5 years. 

I paid my house off in 19 years at age 44 by paying bi-weekly payments. I purchased all my cars cash, including 2 Cadillacs, by setting up separate accounts and waiting until I had the cash to buy. Those were earning 3%. That's how I turned a working man's wage into a comfortable cushion and retired at 50, without a pension.

If you call buying 6 gallons of gas in 15 months being a sucker, that's fine. My total charging costs were under $300. How much did you spend for gas? You spent a minimum of $1,300. That must be added to the cost of your car. That makes our spread $2,300 when I subtract my charging costs, that's a minimum.  

In 5 years, our spread is $11,500. Once again, that's a minimum. It will be more like $13,000. That's why The Kiplinger Investment Group said the Volt will recoup ALL of the extra cost in about 5 to 6 years against a Cruze. Much less time when compared to a car with the same options.

Almost no maintenance. Did you know that my brakes will last about 150,000 miles? Why? The brakes aren't used until about 3 mph. That's called regenerative braking. The E motor stops the car. Oil changes are about every 2 years. There is no transmission to service. Only about 5 moving parts in the motor compared to well over 1000 in a simple gas motor.

Yeah, I'm a sucker. Sucker for return on my money.
Solarman

Twentynine Palms, CA

#11 Jan 28, 2013
iluvmyVolt wrote:
<quoted text>
My Volt gave me a  22% return the first year. $39,500 -$7,500 credit -$1,300 gas savings. A 4% return every year after. That's a 38% return in 5 years. 
I paid my house off in 19 years at age 44 by paying bi-weekly payments. I purchased all my cars cash, including 2 Cadillacs, by setting up separate accounts and waiting until I had the cash to buy. Those were earning 3%. That's how I turned a working man's wage into a comfortable cushion and retired at 50, without a pension.
If you call buying 6 gallons of gas in 15 months being a sucker, that's fine. My total charging costs were under $300. How much did you spend for gas? You spent a minimum of $1,300. That must be added to the cost of your car. That makes our spread $2,300 when I subtract my charging costs, that's a minimum.  
In 5 years, our spread is $11,500. Once again, that's a minimum. It will be more like $13,000. That's why The Kiplinger Investment Group said the Volt will recoup ALL of the extra cost in about 5 to 6 years against a Cruze. Much less time when compared to a car with the same options.
Almost no maintenance. Did you know that my brakes will last about 150,000 miles? Why? The brakes aren't used until about 3 mph. That's called regenerative braking. The E motor stops the car. Oil changes are about every 2 years. There is no transmission to service. Only about 5 moving parts in the motor compared to well over 1000 in a simple gas motor.
Yeah, I'm a sucker. Sucker for return on my money.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, you have less credibility now than before. SUCKER!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Electric Vehicle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 1 hr Civil Poster 10,474
News Chevy Volt vs. Toyota Prius Plug-In: How Do The... (May '14) 19 hr solarmanisanasshat 48
News Why Can't Other Plug-In Hybrids Copy Chevy Volt... Thu iluvmyVolt 20
News 2016 Chevrolet Volt Powertrain: How It Works In... Wed iluvmyVolt 7
News Why Tesla's new battery is kind of a big deal May 18 Local 12
News Tesla Is Not The Only Player In Energy Storage May 2 Solarman 1
News New Tesla Battery Allows Your Grow Operation to... May 1 Solarman 1
More from around the web