american cars suck!!!
RelicsOnTheShelf

Pottstown, PA

#4847 May 1, 2013
I will say onething better about American cars and that is they are cheaper to insure. Upto to 30% cheaper to insure.

I'm currenty shopping new compact cars and the Chevrolet Sonic and Spark are almost 30% cheaper to insure as compared to a Toyota Corolla or Nissan Versa.

The Japanese cars don't pay off until the backend of their life by not needing as many mechanical repairs but that means you wind up waiting 5 years or so to get the pay off from a foreign car.

If you are thinking about buying a new car always check the insurance costs BEFORE you actually buy it. By doing so myself I saved myself over $600 a year in some cases. Over the course of 3-5 years which how long many people keep their that's almost $3000 saved on insurance or the cost of having the car.

And these long warranties are full of crap. I guarantee you go in after the first few years or with high miles they will look for any excuse or fine print to get out of a warrantied defect repair. They say many car companies enforce documentation of service requirements including transmission maintenance. If it requires a flush, fluid change and/or filter you better have proof you did it.
USA ALL THE WAY

Cambridge, MA

#4848 May 18, 2013
STFU Liberal anti-American moron. You trash the best cars in the world (American) because YOU HATE AMERICA and everything about America. Why don't you get the hell out of the country since you hate America so much and you can drive all the crappy Euro and Gook piles of shit cars all you want.

Keep reading lies from all the Liberal car magazines and watch that America hating Top Gear all you want. They are wrong and will always be wrong. Why? Because they hate America just like YOU hate America. Fuck you!
RelicsOnTheShelf

Pottstown, PA

#4849 Jun 11, 2013
USA ALL THE WAY wrote:
STFU Liberal anti-American moron. You trash the best cars in the world (American) because YOU HATE AMERICA and everything about America. Why don't you get the hell out of the country since you hate America so much and you can drive all the crappy Euro and Gook piles of shit cars all you want.
Keep reading lies from all the Liberal car magazines and watch that America hating Top Gear all you want. They are wrong and will always be wrong. Why? Because they hate America just like YOU hate America. Fuck you!
I'm not anti-American like YOU are ASSuming. But the way cars are made and sold in America leaves alot to be desired. I'm a lifetime American car owner by the way so I know something about American cars including they do need more mechanical work done over the life of the car let alone sooner. I've known several people with high milage Toyotas that started rusting away or rubber seals dried out after 8-10 years BEFORE the car needed it's first major engine repair. My last American car needed major engine repairs at the 3 1/2 year mark.

The dealer or franchise systems sucks because you are dealing with a very high pressure sales enviorment because the franchise owner wants to get rid of his inventory and the salesperson is worried about their commission and sales goals. The dealer system also creates and festers excessive repairs and cost.

It took about 2 DECADES for the American Car makers to react or even attempt to catch up to the foreign auto makers. There's a reason the auto business has shivereled up smaller than a very ripe prune and it's called the competition that kicked it's butt.

Now there are political and socio economic reasons that the American Car Industry fell way behind including the fact that much of their competition manufactures in countries with government provided health care which helped controlled their cost. But that does not excuse the incompetent excutives and engineers or greedy unions & dealers of the American auto industry. Nor does it excuse their arrogance that ignored signifigant competition.

If you are member of the remants of the American Car Industry consider yourself LUCKY that people still do business with you.
Rafis

Cleveland, OH

#4850 Jun 26, 2013
Even in USA, American Cars are looked down upon in general(unless there american homeboys), when someone is looking for a car for a budget, Toyota and honda would be the priority, then Nissan...

Because truthfully higher chances to cross 200k mileage mark (basically last LONGER) with these cars over an american car which is usually 100k...

I buy foreign cars to fit my own needs and save money. well you say that's bad for the economy, well I am not willing to sacrifice for the lack of our Auto Industries, American cars are losing in quality and cost, well I am sorry i don't have that stupid " I buy American" mentality.
RelicsOnTheShelf

Pottstown, PA

#4851 Jul 13, 2013
One thing several car manufacturers don't get it's still all about THE CAR. Yes the dealer/franchise system has caused a ton of consternation when buying a car making the process an ordeal. In the end it's still THE CAR and price.

But most of the post sale efforts of the US manufacturers is devoted to keeping you happy during the warranty period with stuff like free oil changes. The follow up surveys ask basically how you were treated. BUT the car itself is rarely addressed/evaluated. There are so many things you notice once you have the car that you simply don't have time to notice right away. THE CARS themselves need to surveyed and commented on.

As with most purchases it about THE PRODUCT and PRICE. And NOT the process.
GET REAL

Wallingford, CT

#4852 Aug 13, 2013
American cars suck PERIOD ........
GET REAL

Wallingford, CT

#4854 Aug 13, 2013
Even the American version of topgear is horrible.
yougetreal

Mcfarland, CA

#4855 Oct 11, 2013
your bias and blind to reality
yougetreal

Mcfarland, CA

#4856 Oct 11, 2013
you still havent shown any time records or websites of your choice to prove your claims. you know you are a mad biased person and clearly pure euro in the car world. i personally would own a corvette pver any of the greatest euro cars out there because of history, beauty, and perfection. tell me with honesty that dodge vipers and corvettes are juat as good, or better then foreign cars, there are facts. go. and post them
Hey Now

Canada

#4857 Oct 31, 2013
Amerijunk = NHRA = NASCRAP of if you want turning left or going straight !!!!
Hey Now

Canada

#4858 Oct 31, 2013
Detroit gone wild !!!!!

-Recalls (GM/Dodge/Ford combined in avg/year = 1.8 milions vehicles recalled)
-Rare turbo vehicles
-Rare diesel car
-1970's technology
-Shitty chassis
-Miserable weigh transfer
-Rattles
-Rare AWD cars
-Cheap construction
-Worthless after 4 years
-Do not know how to build a diesel engine, as example Dodge using Cummins, Ford using Navistar !!
-Shitty suspension
-High MPG
-Rare electric vehicles
-Rare hybrid vehicles
-Their price drop by 25% as sson you leaving the dealership
-Overpriced
-Tugboat cars
Hey Now

Canada

#4859 Oct 31, 2013
American motorsport

-Stock Car;(more than 5 association hmmmmm after 1 we understand, using 4 speed transmission, carburators, pushrod engine hmmmmmm soo tempting)
-Drag Racing;(with 1 major association "NHRA", they're too chicken to run the full 1320 ft.)
-Open wheel; (with 1 association only "IRL" hmmmm its look like you wanna play pro football but the NFL and the Arena football league don't want you, so the CFL is there lol)
-Dirt racing (with 1 major association "WoO" pretty similar than stock car, remove asphalt)
truth be told

North Ridgeville, OH

#4860 Nov 3, 2013
admit what? that euro trash is better than anything American? you're just a prissy brit with nothing better to do than insult other people. I think this has something to do with idea of national pride for the rainy English island where the sun don't shine. America has brought the automobile to the average citizen, something that Italians would never do. Ford created the assembly line. Let's not forget true American muscle. In my opinion, the rest of the world is finally catching up to American cars. All other cars are simply overpriced. I would drive them, but I couldn't afford to, even if I could, I'd feel bad for simply wasting that much money on a car.
Americans should be proud

North Ridgeville, OH

#4861 Nov 3, 2013
American car companies should stop trying to change designs for automobiles to compete with import models. All other imports seem like chick cars to me. There seem to be no more cars for men, just these silly rice burners and overpriced eurotrash cars. I know that gas prices make the car scene seem somewhat of the past, but I guess that's the world we live in now. American muscle cars took a hit when leaded fuel went out, but I still believe a real man needs a real car from America, something with some guts and that's easier to repair than some backwards-ass jap or euro model that would cost twice as much for parts to fix a car as it would for parts and labor to fix an American car. A lot of Americans fix their own car anyway because the car designs typically make sense compared to overcomplicated designs from imports. I own a 1989 Chevy Cavalier z24 with the 2.8 173 iron block and it's my favorite, not just because it's fast and sounds like a car with some balls, but because it looks good, parts are cheap and are easy to replace. That's something American car companies need to reproduce, the cast-iron engine block, not cast-aluminum.
Americans should be proud

North Ridgeville, OH

#4862 Nov 3, 2013
Rafis wrote:
Even in USA, American Cars are looked down upon in general(unless there american homeboys), when someone is looking for a car for a budget, Toyota and honda would be the priority, then Nissan...
Because truthfully higher chances to cross 200k mileage mark (basically last LONGER) with these cars over an american car which is usually 100k...
I buy foreign cars to fit my own needs and save money. well you say that's bad for the economy, well I am not willing to sacrifice for the lack of our Auto Industries, American cars are losing in quality and cost, well I am sorry i don't have that stupid " I buy American" mentality.
You just haven't experienced the right cars, My Grand Am went over 300k and was 14 years old with no major repairs i.e. nothing over $800 parts+labor. If you buy foreign, parts will be more because unless you get them from a junk yard, they have to be imported, which will cost you extra. If you buy foreign, you are lining the pockets of anti-American people that disrespect you just because they can and because you are American. When the whole world hates one country, it creates competition, but the vultures will never be able to compete with real American ingenuity from the most diverse and greatest country in the world. The simple truth is, some cars last longer than others, I'm sure there are good imports out there, but there are also good domestic cars, and as a bonus to wisely choosing the right domestic cars, you are also supporting your country and your neighbors. Think about it.
Vette will own

San Antonio, TX

#4863 Nov 16, 2013
New stingray is ready to tear up the tracks... The top speed. The power. The acceleration. For a fraction of the euro and japanese super car price. Vette is best bang for your dollar... Sorry... Best bang for your euro
Ben

Eau Claire, WI

#4864 Nov 30, 2013
GLB said:

"If the Vette's suspension is so bad why is Ferrari using it"

The article you cited refers to the magnetic suspension used on SOME Corvettes for the purpose of having "luxury feel" suspension (soft) while transforming into sport suspension on the fly. Ferrari is NOT using the Leaf suspension, only the luxury magnetic fluid shocks.

"A $54,000 Corvette is easily a match for a $89,000 911"
This is a Z51 you cited which is definitely NOT a 54,000 USD car new, although it probably is as of today's date, but then again the price drop is also true to the Porsche. Again, the Porsche will have high quality interior and internal accessories NOT made in Mexico.

"Here is a little light reading on dependability rankings" although I try not to counter arguments based on deleted articles... I simply have to point out the stupidity of using a "businessweek" article to debate cars. Businessweek is heavily biased towards US point of views, also.

"Didn't you say the GT was British designed? anyway that match up is a lot closer than you think:"
I don't quite understand the point of this post.. but after reading the article I have found a new respect for Ferrari's. Despite being 80 hp slower than the Ford GT the Ferrari was able to slice the corners and stay ahead of the Ford, and on the acceleration test the Ferrari's "secret start technique" was only .1 seconds slower than the GT. Seems to reinforce OP's point rather than differ.

"BTW:Jaguar and Volvo are owned by Ford. Saab is owned by GM." This could be a potential ad hominem.. but since it's not obvious i'll explain. Sometimes companies allow for "loyalty to tradition". Meaning if Ford owns a company it doesn't necessary impede on that company's business practice. Unlike GM when it comes to Isuzu. This point is moot, the companies that Ford owns still operate as a company with their heritage in tact.

"Not everyone agrees with you in regards to the Mustang/Skyline thing"
This point could have been made with equal believability WITHOUT citing a source. This is an obvious fact that people will disagree and argue (hence, you). The Skyline GT-R is no where closer to the low-level that is the Mustang, Mustang GT, or Cobra or SVT. The Skyline GT-R is a legend in the world of automotive and only the Americans disagree. Only the Skyline was able to be both a sedan and the fastest car in the world (aftermarket and racing teams).

"You need to get up to speed in regards to Caddilac:"
Since I'm coming from the future, here, I can tell you for a fact that all those cars reviewd from Cadillac are GHETTO ASS PIECES OF SHIT. All I see people trying around here are these affordable, partially broken, partially falling apart Cadillac CTS'.
READ:
http://www.carproblemzoo.com/cadillac/cts/
Along with this I'd like to bitch about Lincolns. I wanted a cheap luxury car once (luckily I'm over that urge, I will only buy German or Japanese). EVERY SINGLE LINCOLN I LOOKED UP HAD DETERIORATING STEERING WHEEL COATING. I don't know if it's paint or some other form of coating. But it fades and is the most ghetto looking thing you could have.
James

Toronto, Canada

#4865 Dec 7, 2013
Americans should be proud wrote:
<quoted text>
You just haven't experienced the right cars, My Grand Am went over 300k and was 14 years old with no major repairs i.e. nothing over $800 parts+labor. If you buy foreign, parts will be more because unless you get them from a junk yard, they have to be imported, which will cost you extra. If you buy foreign, you are lining the pockets of anti-American people that disrespect you just because they can and because you are American. When the whole world hates one country, it creates competition, but the vultures will never be able to compete with real American ingenuity from the most diverse and greatest country in the world. The simple truth is, some cars last longer than others, I'm sure there are good imports out there, but there are also good domestic cars, and as a bonus to wisely choosing the right domestic cars, you are also supporting your country and your neighbors. Think about it.
You say that driving a Grand Am was a good experience? That's freaky. Pontiacs are the cheesiest looking vehicles. I feel the only reason they sell is because of car leasing, used cheap vehicles, and rentals. Besides, the 3800 engine is one of GMs best engines, and it's not sold in anything cheap or export. What kind of point are you making, here? That there is 1 specific engine you can get and therefore "American cars are good and reliable"? MOST of all the other engines "us Americans" make (actually Mexicans make them, and only a very tiny proportion of US citizens benefit from or are part of the automaking process) are low-quality junk. Like I said before, the hallmark engines are the big ones, the ones that commercial interests will buy... and even then many small businesses and even larger ones complain about them breaking too often.(I've heard my mechanic bitch about this problem he deals with, and he owns a custom Mustang GT)
Finally, you said something about "imported vehicles cost a lot to repair. I personally love this argument because I know we're entering the realm where I'm going to win the argument through facts.
The cheapest replacement part I ever bought was for my Honda. Throughout owning my Honda I've found that the replacement parts for it were ALWAYS cheaper (I've owned 5 domestic vehicles before my Honda and they were ALL brought to the junkyard. Let's be specific: a 1980 Impala, a 1988 Caravan (okay you can blame mitsubishi for this one), a 1986 Celebrity, a 1991 Astro van, and finally a 1993 Ford Tempo). My father has owned two vehicles with the 4.3L V6 from GM, both blazers, different body styles. The 1996 Blazer's crank bearings distorted (blown) after being used for what the vehicle was specifically designed for... 4WD. The second (older) Blazer was babied because my father didn't want it to break. But it eventually did.
Everything else you mentioned was paranoia of sorts. Stop thinking the world hates you. Only Americans believe the rest of the world hates them. The reality is far less flattering: Most of the world doesn't even care or think about "Americans" "The USA" or anything related to the USA until they see the US Government being mentioned in the news... to which it becomes a passing afterthought and they move on with their days.
mefirst007

Hamilton, Canada

#4866 Jan 8, 2014
quality,reliability ,handling come Last in American made cars
I agree they dont care or bother with that because they no
after when it depreciates so much after third and fourth year
you can buy them cheap as long as people keep buying them
this way there always going to be around for the same people
that don't care for the same reasons.-:)
mefirst007

Hamilton, Canada

#4867 Jan 8, 2014
I had once a American car dodge caravan it was shit started it up sounded rough sounded like a fat pig when revved and thats after a full tune-up and being told by my mechanic it runs excellent .? give me a friggin break.! the boxy conservative old shity look was a eye sour to

say the least please. after my transmission gave up junked it hate dodge or any American crap the looks on some of these cars makes
you think some old timer was drawing them up on a pc.? adding old retro shity look too them.? makes them look boring and awfull even
when new.. at least European cars have a sense style and a
lively spunk added to them ..! American cars cant say much about them

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L engine swap (Feb '09) May 23 Mrd4235 67
dodge ram sucks!!! (Oct '10) May 14 Jim9601 350
Motor swap May 13 Major 1
News Junkyard Gem: 1998 Plymouth Breeze Expresso May 12 Dick Tracy 4
News Buying used: Should we opt for a Honda Odyssey ... (Oct '17) Apr 29 liner 5
Motor swap out Apr '18 Matthew 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '08) Feb '18 Djmcc4957890 19