loss of power
gene

Wheat Ridge, CO

#1 Mar 23, 2008
just bought a 2004 90,000 miles. drove from chicago. all the way wont do over 59 mph. up hills it chatters like it wants to stall, no power. When I stop for fuel, it will run fine for a few minutes then hi oil pressure light comes on and it goes back to 59 mph all with cruise control on. coming into denver off goes cruise and it is running great 70-75 mph, hit a hill and back to chatter up hill and 59 mph. Any ideas folks?
Jon

Stanton, NJ

#2 Mar 25, 2008
Does it feel like its a chatter from the transmission? Over full on oil isn't good either. Could be Boost leak. Sometimes they dont show up when cruising but when running hard on a hill it shows up. Could be a cut hose, most common is a blown apart resonator. Look at ur turbo. There is a black like container in front of your turbo that connects into it. Its plastic. If you see a lot of oil around the seam of that container then most likely you have a turbo boost leak in the resonator. You could also have an issue with your transmission or torque converter. If it is shuttering then possible problem with that. Trans fluid ever been changed that you know of? Look under the hood and look for the obvious. Could be a clogged fuel filter. I'd check for the boost leaks in the turbo "plumbing" from the turbo to the intake. Is or has the check engine light come on? Someitmes it wont if its a boost issue but there maybe a stored code in the computer. Just a list of the top of my head.
gene

Arvada, CO

#3 Apr 8, 2008
gene wrote:
just bought a 2004 90,000 miles. drove from chicago. all the way wont do over 59 mph. up hills it chatters like it wants to stall, no power. When I stop for fuel, it will run fine for a few minutes then hi oil pressure light comes on and it goes back to 59 mph all with cruise control on. coming into denver off goes cruise and it is running great 70-75 mph, hit a hill and back to chatter up hill and 59 mph. Any ideas folks?
no does not feel like the transmission, in fact I went through the gears and even with no power it would shift smoothly. The chatter would happen going up a hill. The hi oil pressure light would come on and go off, I forgot to mention that, sorry.
gene

Arvada, CO

#4 Apr 8, 2008
no does not feel like the transmission, in fact I went through the gears and even with no power it would shift smoothly. The chatter would happen going up a hill. The hi oil pressure light would come on and go off, I forgot to mention that, sorry.
Jon

Stanton, NJ

#5 Apr 13, 2008
Sounds like a possible boost leak with the no power concern. The high oil light may just be it has high oil or something with the sensor worst case the engine. Does it smoke when accelerating? No check engine light? My best bet would be to get it to a dealer adn let them see. Could be numerous things. But my guess may be a boost leak. At idle does it idle somewhat smoothly?
Electra

Winchester, VA

#6 Apr 15, 2008
Fuel line
Dirty fuel, fuel filter

Many years ago my family had a few of the 80s GM diesels, the fuel line had a removable piece which a repair guy broke the ball out of -- no more problem. Sorry name of piece slips my mind. We were driving down the hwy and it just stopped having power.

Then we had problems with a brand of diesel that "cleans" your engine. It deteriorated the engine gaskets/ seals which broke off and caused similar problems.

It seriously could have been a tank of fuel you got somewhere. Even water in the fuel if it was a slow gas station with sitting diesel.

I've driven diesels all my life until the last 13 years, I'm so looking forward to having a diesel again.
gene

Westminster, CO

#7 Apr 15, 2008
gene wrote:
I have changed all filters oil,fuel,air not egr in engine,changed turbo resonator,idles smoothly, blows a little black cloud but nothing exceptional when first taking off. After had filters fixed drove it about 40 miles not under a load at all, thought it was okay, then put it under a load today and almost immedate loss of power, turned off then turned back on full power for about a quarter mile then no power again.
Jon

Stanton, NJ

#8 Apr 15, 2008
Well there most likely is a code stored in the system that will put an end to this. Or take it to a qualified shop to see what they find. Just cause they diagnose it doesn't mean they have to fix it if you are trying to save money. Could have an egr valve hanging open as well. All possibilities. You could waste tons of money guessing or just take it to the shop see what they find adn go from there, not worth dumping un necessary money into it if it is not going to fix the concern. When you sit there and power brake it does it smoke at all? If so i'd lean towards possible EGR valve staying open. It could be a turbo as well. I'm just listing things i find on a regular basiss servicing these vehicles. Could be any of them.Does the intake hose from the intercooler to the intake have any cracks? My best bet would be to have someone power brake it and look under the hood. Hear if it sounds like it is building up boost and then feel around the hoses adn the such for leaks. Like I said there may be a code stored that is not setting off the check engine light. Hope this helps!
gene

Wheat Ridge, CO

#9 Apr 16, 2008
Well I called the shop where I had filters changed and they suggested the dealer because they had no equipment to read the codes. This is not about saving money. The changing of the filters and oil was done to give a benchmark to go by on future service intervals. Changing the resonator was a precautionary thing too. Read enough on another forum to anticipate a failure down the road of the resonator, turns out old resonator had small amount of oil around seam where I understand they usually fail. On another forum, the same exact symptoms were experienced by another owner, turned out to be a chaffed wire in one of the wiring looms. Took dealer 6 months and numerous other "fixes" to figure it out. help that situation. No the hose does not look cracked at all, actually looks fairly new.So we will see what the dealer has to say.
Jon

Stanton, NJ

#10 Apr 17, 2008
Yea...if there is no power, usually there is a code associated but sometimes not. Atleast a code gives something to go on. ANd yes the engine wiring harness' do run through on the intake side and possibly other areas. They are tight adn are mounted next to a metal support brace for the intake, stupid but thats how they do it! I replaced one 2 days ago for a vehicle that would shut off while driving. It can be difficult to find but if its a good shop that knows sprinters, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But who knows! Hope they find the problem for you! Keep me posted on what they find. Too bad your not in my area, i'd be happy to work on it...i actually used to live near denver, wish i was still out there!
Zoro

Pottstown, PA

#11 May 3, 2008
My 2004 dodge sprinter loosing power &oil pressure light coms on after reine whetter .got same problem as discraibe Gene,but after day or to it is fix itsself
Chris

Evansville, IN

#12 May 4, 2008
I have a (2) 2007 V6 turbo diesel Sprinters.

One Sprinter with 42,000 miles is experiencing loss of power and the engine light indicator has come on. Checked all hoses and changed the turbo resonator from sprinter that runs fine.

Upon starting up, it will rev up above 2800 rpms. Then you hear a click and the engine has a deeper sound to it. The engine now will not go over 2800 rpms. It shifts at loww rpm and will finally get up to 62 mph as its top sped. The other sprinter has 49,000 miles and runs fine. any suggestions? Pretty mechanical myself do not want to run up a big bill on it. Fuel filters were changed at 30,000 and only use proper synthetic oil. Therer are no fuel leaks.
Jon

Allentown, PA

#13 May 8, 2008
You have another issue. You need to take it to a dealer. The new sprinter diesel engines aren't something you want to start messing with. Just my opinion. Too many electronics. Its not just a simple diesel anymore.
Louie

Corona, CA

#14 Dec 8, 2008
Will a bad turbo resonator cause overheating under load?
Joe D

United States

#15 Dec 16, 2008
EGR - Had all of them replaced on my 4- 2007's and 1 2008. Need to get the 3rd revision. Dealer knows what I am talking about. Warranty 100k. Great otherwise. Have 4 -2007's with 175-100k already and the 08 on 35k. Good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Sprinter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
many sprinter problems (Jan '09) Sun Abco Mechanical 139
Vibration at shift points (May '06) Apr 4 ncclimber 60
Loss of engine power (Oct '09) Mar 23 abco Mechanical 140
sprinter transmission shifting issue (May '13) Mar '18 Mdavid 17
08 Sprinter Battery Drain (Jul '10) Mar '18 carleton reynolds 21
problem - code P040B (Apr '10) Mar '18 bat_man 4
air intake temperature Mar '18 Xman280 1