First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Its cooler by the lake”

Since: Dec 06

Caledonia, WI

#1 Dec 13, 2006
I have my Sprinter (81,000) at the dealership right now and they are telling me I need a reman transmission.
The Transmission was slipping when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. It also had a very minor leak at the front right corner of the transmission. I gave them this information.

They now will not give any policy money for the $4500+ repairsince the transmission was leaking.

The leak I had amounted to a small damp spot on my garage floor. I never even saw a drip fall to the ground.

Warning to all: Do not give any information to a dealership that could backfire on you! If they suspect that they can get out of failures by blaming you THEY WILL.

I did find a source for remaned transmissions and will update once I get it installed.(approx $2300 shipping included)

“Its cooler by the lake”

Since: Dec 06

Caledonia, WI

#2 Jan 8, 2007
I received a transmiaasion from Star Transmissions out of Oaklahoma. They only rebuild Mercedes transmissions.
They were extremely professional and I had my transmission in 2 business days. It came in a custom blow molded pallet for protection.
Everything came with it. I now even have a dipstick to check the oil. The transmission runs great.
I would recommend this supplier hands down.
I will be selling my Sprinter shortly as I now know how poor service from Diamler/Chrysler is and have no faith that my Sprinter is going to continue to nickel and dime me to death. It was a great experiment, but a cutaway is now in my future.
john

Thompson, Canada

#3 Jan 15, 2007
Jeff L wrote:
I have my Sprinter (81,000) at the dealership right now and they are telling me I need a reman transmission.
The Transmission was slipping when it shifted from 2nd to 3rd. It also had a very minor leak at the front right corner of the transmission. I gave them this information.
They now will not give any policy money for the $4500+ repairsince the transmission was leaking.
The leak I had amounted to a small damp spot on my garage floor. I never even saw a drip fall to the ground.
Warning to all: Do not give any information to a dealership that could backfire on you! If they suspect that they can get out of failures by blaming you THEY WILL.
I did find a source for remaned transmissions and will update once I get it installed.(approx $2300 shipping included)
hey jeff there was a bulletin out about monor leaking from trans pan...they prolly never mentioned that...ask em about that
JIM

Hubert, NC

#4 Feb 2, 2007
I AM IN NEED OF A TRANNY FOR MY 2004 SPRINTER AFTER BREAKING DOWN AND HAD IT TRAILER TO THE DEALER THEY QUOTE REPAIR OF $5500. PLEASE FORWARD ANY INFO THAT WOULD HELP TO SAVE ME $$$.
Becky

Milwaukee, WI

#5 Feb 13, 2007
Sorry to post so long after you first asked your questions. Hope everything has worked out for everybody. If anybody needs further help feel free to ask, I work for an indepedent Mercedes Benz shop near Milwaukee, WI. Our website ( www.blackforestllc.com )includes general Sprinter maintenance information, but feel free to contact me with any other questions and I will see what I can do to help.
becky@blackforestllc.com
carter-1

Iowa Park, TX

#6 Mar 14, 2007
seal on trans. leaks is o-ring . cost .95 cents dealer takes five minutes to install.trans. slip cause low oil cause by leak change oil and slip will stop . very common on 04 sprinter .new o-ring and train oil change totally fix problem. lcarter@wfisd.net good luck
Bob in Iowa

Owatonna, MN

#7 Mar 15, 2007
Had the shudder problem when shifting 135K on truck, talked to Sprinter dealer was told that would probably need a Reman Transmission. I took matters into my own hands and went to a independent transmission shop he agreed to service and flush my transmission first and then put in the proper oil,if this did not work he would attempt to reman himself, Fluid change and flush repaired the problem he felt guilty about the price he had to charge because of the oil. HE WAS 1/2 PRICE OF THE DEALER. The dealers only want to sell new units won't take a trade-in even if you want to buy a new truck, and if they do make you an offer it is an insult. This is a good truck that they are ruining because of greed. The truck it self has been good but my needs have changed and I need to go a different way, I would buy a 3500 and install a van box BUT they won't deal. Greed is a funny thing if I do get rid of it I won't buy another, to bad because the truck is good.
John in Buffalo NY

Buffalo, NY

#8 Mar 16, 2007
Jeff L wrote:
I received a transmiaasion from Star Transmissions out of Oaklahoma. They only rebuild Mercedes transmissions.
They were extremely professional and I had my transmission in 2 business days. It came in a custom blow molded pallet for protection.
Everything came with it. I now even have a dipstick to check the oil. The transmission runs great.
I will be selling my Sprinter shortly as I now know how poor service from Diamler/Chrysler is and have no faith that my Sprinter is going to continue to nickel and dime me to death. It was a great experiment, but a cutaway is now in my future.
How about a phone number. I would like to talk to them about a problem I have had since new. Thanks, John
gordon eatman

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 20, 2007
carter-1 wrote:
seal on trans. leaks is o-ring . cost .95 cents dealer takes five minutes to install.trans. slip cause low oil cause by leak change oil and slip will stop . very common on 04 sprinter .new o-ring and train oil change totally fix problem. lcarter@wfisd.net good luck
is this the o ring at frount of Trans. Thanks Got a 2004 also
gordon eatman

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Mar 20, 2007
Is the Tranny o ring on the frount end of the tranny. Thx G
Bob

Westwood, NJ

#11 Apr 3, 2007
Can you provide a contact number for Star Transmissions? Please
Jeff L wrote:
boomer

United States

#12 Apr 26, 2007
Jeff L wrote:
Was wondering where in Oklahoma this
Star Transmission was located and if you could possibly post the telephone number?
ShawnM

United States

#13 Apr 30, 2007
The O-ring that leaks is from the electrical connector on the right front of the trans. It is a very common problem on mercedes transmissions. Its best to change the connector piece (comes with the o-rings) and a part called the conductor plate at the same time to avoid any future problems.
boomer

United States

#14 Jul 9, 2007
jeff has not been forthcoming with the name and phone number of the shop on his transmission. I believe that I have found them. They are: Silver Star Transmission
214 w. Edmund Rd., Edmund Ok. 73003. Their web address: silverstartransmission.com

“Silver Star Transmission”

Since: Jul 07

Edmond, OK

#15 Jul 16, 2007
Wow! Imagine my suprise when I start browsing around these forums and see that people are talking about our company! I am in sales at Silver Star Transmission and yes we are located in Edmond OK. Please feel free to give us a call anytime with any questions for your Sprinters (800.369.6601)

Some of you might be interested to know that we also are engineering a HEAVY DUTY sprinter transmission. We have torn down TONS of Sprinter transmissions to seek out what is causing these things to go down so quickly and we believe we have found a way to correct the weak point in the transmission.

We are rebuilders exclusivly to Mercedes transmissions and have been in business at our current location for 8 years and our builders have been working on Mercedes since 1970. You can find us at silverstartransmission.com however, you will need to call us for pricing.

We are members of SEMA and the Better Business Bureau of Central Oklahoma.

You can find us in the following national publications: Transmission Digest, The Star, and Gears Magazine.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback and I look forward to helping you with any of your Sprinter transmission concerns.

-Dawn Wilson
Grant

AOL

#16 Jul 16, 2007
I owe a 2005 dodge sprinter, with 80k miles on it, I know the life of these transmissions arent good and Im just a few miles down the road from my transmission wows, I know this is hard to beleive, but after ready the posting from Dawn Wilson at Silver Star, im looking forward to my transmission dieing, sounds like they have the great solution that dodge cant give ya.
cj jett

Pinole, CA

#17 Nov 19, 2007
where the heck is the transmission dipstick??? I know it has a computer but......... C'mon?
Paul K

Rutland, MA

#18 Aug 23, 2008
I have heard that a sprinter trans cannot be changed by the average Joe and you need special equipment to make the swap. Any truth to this?
Josh

Youngstown, OH

#19 Aug 26, 2008
I have read so many posts about people having issues with their Sprinter transmissions. It's too bad since they're pretty cool vans with decent MPG.

If you do end up needing a replacement transmission, you can check out QualitySprinter.com or go directly to their transmissions page at http://www.qualitysprinter.com/sprinter_trans...

They offer a guarantee and their shipping is cheap (compared to other guys). If you want you can just call their number 1-800-838-6953

It sucks when you have to replace something so big, but you should at least try to get a deal from a good company if you absolutely have to do it.
PANAANTHONY

Houston, TX

#20 Jan 24, 2009
I just bought a 2004 3500 dodge sprinter with 9k miles, it has a salvage title, I have notice a noise like metal chains rubbing or sounding when i am driving slow like no more than 40 miles an hour....is it normal?..can somebody please tell me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Sprinter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Low charge to coach batteries from engine 15 hr sar3000 4
2011 Sprinter - Code 0208 (Aug '12) Oct 21 saultydog42 6
Tickity-Tick-Tick - front of engine (Feb '11) Oct 20 juiceman 3
2003 Sprinter hard to start when at or above 18... (Sep '08) Oct 18 brohyde 64
owner mechanic with good news about trouble codes Oct 16 Bob 2
Glow Plugs (Feb '10) Oct 16 Bob 51
Passenger van roof AC water leak (Dec '08) Oct 16 Brudy 43

Dodge Sprinter People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE