many sprinter problems
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
pat

United States

#1 Jan 15, 2009
I have a 2005 sprinter 2500. My problems sarted early with a transmission fluid leak. Then one of five turbo resonators went, a mass air sensor caused me to get towed in again, the doors won't close right, all the cargo lights fell off and kept blowing fuses , the temp. hot and cold dial just spins all around (stuck on hot all the time) 3 lumbar seat hand pump replaced, can't turn dash fan location (stuck on air to feet), THE WHOLE TURBO BLEW, THE MOTOR FRIED (DUE TO INJECTORS LEAKING INTO ENGINE OIL), AND AS I'M WRITING THIS ITS IN THE SHOP WON'T START (POWER MODULE ORDERED) AND IM SURE IM MISSING SOME OTHER ITEMS!!!!!!!!!! Am I alone?

“Mercedes-Benz Sprinter”

Since: Dec 06

Hobart Tasmania

#2 Jan 16, 2009
Tranny seal is a quick fix
Resonators is an EPA US requirement for noise abatement.
Q5 is the fix, not Q4 for resonator, or the aluminum one which is a little nosier.
Mass air sensor should be coded as a warning before failure.What codes were showing on assyst?
Heater control; softly; softly; never spin them or it breaks.
Lumbar pumps well gently sit upon, don't jump up onto them.
Turbo blew you had a code showing well before failure the noise alone should have been noticeable enough.
Blown motor, failing injectors, again the diesel odor in the cabin! Should have been obvious and codes showing on assyst. not to mention hard starts.
Did you look at the back white plastic seal on the turbo! Corroded and covered in oil, looked at the rear exhaust pipe, and see all of the carbonized soot accumulating on the pipe.
Cold start! Hard Start. White and blue smoke coming out of the pipe, from the rear view mirror, until normally operating heat temps, reach 80c.
Did I miss anything No but unfortunately your out of pocket about 12 grand.
If your van was maintained the mechanic and techs would! Or should have picked up on it?
Look under the plastic cover of the head and see just how much black gook and waste carbon has piled up on the injectors housing, this takes a long time to accumulate, before the engine detonates.
Cause Fuel ULSD only and that was also for the 2005 Tins Not your fault but the cetane level was just not up to scratch, at the time.
You need a min of 47 CN for maximum performance, any thing less than 42 is asking for failed injectors especially with Winter grade fuels, as they use a Kero based thinner also know and Solvo 100-15o it's a paint stripper MEK and guaranteed to corrode engine parts.
Ever tired to get a report for oil Analise try Blackstone.
Fuel quality tests from the Gov , you;ll notice all sites are inoperative, because there are no ASm standards for 2006 onwards or fame standards. nor added lubricants to compensate for the lower lubricity of ULSD Fuels
Use an upper cylinder lubricant that does not use alchol as the filler.
No your not alone but heck you guys have been given a bad deal by Chrysler.
Richard
Hit The Road Jack

AOL

#3 Jan 17, 2009
pat wrote:
I have a 2005 sprinter 2500. My problems sarted early with a transmission fluid leak. Then one of five turbo resonators went, a mass air sensor caused me to get towed in again, the doors won't close right, all the cargo lights fell off and kept blowing fuses , the temp. hot and cold dial just spins all around (stuck on hot all the time) 3 lumbar seat hand pump replaced, can't turn dash fan location (stuck on air to feet), THE WHOLE TURBO BLEW, THE MOTOR FRIED (DUE TO INJECTORS LEAKING INTO ENGINE OIL), AND AS I'M WRITING THIS ITS IN THE SHOP WON'T START (POWER MODULE ORDERED) AND IM SURE IM MISSING SOME OTHER ITEMS!!!!!!!!!! Am I alone?
You just gotta be a 'GM' or 'Ford' dealer!!!
jpcpt03

Salisbury, MD

#4 Jan 18, 2009
pat wrote:
I have a 2005 sprinter 2500. My problems sarted early with a transmission fluid leak. Then one of five turbo resonators went, a mass air sensor caused me to get towed in again, the doors won't close right, all the cargo lights fell off and kept blowing fuses , the temp. hot and cold dial just spins all around (stuck on hot all the time) 3 lumbar seat hand pump replaced, can't turn dash fan location (stuck on air to feet), THE WHOLE TURBO BLEW, THE MOTOR FRIED (DUE TO INJECTORS LEAKING INTO ENGINE OIL), AND AS I'M WRITING THIS ITS IN THE SHOP WON'T START (POWER MODULE ORDERED) AND IM SURE IM MISSING SOME OTHER ITEMS!!!!!!!!!! Am I alone?
Are you alone?---->YES<----

“Mercedes-Benz Sprinter”

Since: Dec 06

Hobart Tasmania

#5 Jan 18, 2009
jpcpt03 wrote:
<quoted text>Are you alone?---->YES<----
Actually he is not!....Just on the wrong forum. Nearly all solutions! To problems have a fix.
Richard
pat

United States

#6 Jan 22, 2009
now my saga continues after having my van for two and a half weeks the dealer can't get it started or running. Just waited for module to come in, they installed it, adjusted throttle cable, meanwhile my van just sits and rots there while i'm losing money from not being able to work.
pat

United States

#7 Jan 22, 2009
no i'm not a gm or ford dealer. I am just a carpenter who spent his hard earned money ($40,000.) on a piece of crap sprinter mone pit. I have given up. I wan't to trade it in but dealer can't even get it running so I can get a trade in appraisal. They have a death grip on me with this sprinter van
Hit The Road Jack

AOL

#8 Jan 23, 2009
pat wrote:
no i'm not a gm or ford dealer. I am just a carpenter who spent his hard earned money ($40,000.) on a piece of crap sprinter mone pit. I have given up. I wan't to trade it in but dealer can't even get it running so I can get a trade in appraisal. They have a death grip on me with this sprinter van
You know what FORD stands for don't you?

Fix Or Replace Daily
TODD

United States

#9 Jan 27, 2009
do they make a block heater. my 2004 sprinter will not start below 10 degrees f.
Pat

United States

#10 Feb 9, 2009
well even with a brand new motor my sprinter was blowing white smoke, idling rough and the air conditioning went on the day that I traded it in. I feel like a thousand pounds have been lifted off my back. My advice to any of you who own a sprinter is get rid of it or it will bury you with problems. Mercedes/Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for selling a German tank thats powered by a lawn mower angine. Good luck to all and good bye.
Hit The Road Jack

AOL

#11 Feb 11, 2009
Pat wrote:
well even with a brand new motor my sprinter was blowing white smoke, idling rough and the air conditioning went on the day that I traded it in. I feel like a thousand pounds have been lifted off my back. My advice to any of you who own a sprinter is get rid of it or it will bury you with problems. Mercedes/Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for selling a German tank thats powered by a lawn mower angine. Good luck to all and good bye.
Good riddens Troll!
Pierre le plombier

Beloeil, Canada

#12 Feb 15, 2009
TODD wrote:
do they make a block heater. my 2004 sprinter will not start below 10 degrees f.
Yes they do iI bought one but it is not install yet
Pierre le plombier

Beloeil, Canada

#13 Feb 15, 2009
Yes they do iI bought one but it is not install yet
Ray Marietta Ga

Alpharetta, GA

#14 May 2, 2009
I was on the road and lost a drive pulley. I purchased a new one, and Chrysler would not warranty the motor, since I replaced the pulley myself. where should I advetise to sell a used Sprinter motor?

Since: Feb 09

Shreveport, LA

#15 May 5, 2009
Ray Marietta Ga wrote:
I was on the road and lost a drive pulley. I purchased a new one, and Chrysler would not warranty the motor, since I replaced the pulley myself. where should I advetise to sell a used Sprinter motor?
what year and how many miles and what do you want for it? this forum is read by a lot of people..
spilt decision

Shelbyville, IN

#16 Oct 8, 2009
My 2004 has 195000mi. on it, at 180000 the dealer told me I needed a new motor($16000). So take what they say with a grain of salt and a shot of Jack Daniels.
ChuckSoCal

United States

#17 Feb 4, 2010
My 2006 2500 diesel engine blew at 55,560 miles. The engine is being replaced with a remanufactured engine under warranty. They made me find all of my oil change receipts before agreeing to the warranty work. It's a good thing I didn't change the oil myself or the dealer would have screwed me without any lube. This is an awesome vehicle when it works. I wish Ford or Toyota would manufacture a similar van that is more reliable. German made cars suck.
ChuckSoCal

United States

#18 Feb 4, 2010
Is a remanufactured engine as good as a new one?
rob

Ahwaz, Iran

#19 May 12, 2010
WE SPENT £1500 ON A 2004 SPRINTER WILL NOT GO OVER 30MPH,WILL NOT REV OVER 3000 RPM,MERCS TOLD US FUEL PUMP,INJECTORS,BOOST PRESSURES,GLOW PLUGS WHICH SNAPPED IN HEAD,ALL TO NO AVAIL,A CHANCE MEETING ON A FOOTBALL PITCH I WAS TOLD ABOUT THE ECU THAT IS UNDER GLOVE BOX BY PASSENGER FEET,GETS KICKED WHEN PEOPLE GET IN OR OUT,REMOVED ECU WHICH TOOK ABOUT 2 MINUTES FOUND WATER DAMAGE,A LITTLE CLEAN AND WD40 HEY PRESTO PROBLEM SOLVED VAN GOES LIKE A ROCKET,NICE MAN ALSO TOLD ME HE HAS TOWED IN NONRUNNERS WITH SAME PROBLEM OR THE PLUGS IN THE ECU WERE PULLED OUT BY PEOPLES FEET,HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEBODY.
vann branch

Spring, TX

#20 Jun 16, 2010
my sprinter transmission stuck in park while sitting in my garage?????any ideas????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Sprinter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sprinter will not shift out of first gear (Oct '09) Apr 26 Big B 8
Sprinter Engine failures (Mar '08) Apr 24 Mjsgci 174
06 sprinter sliding door problem (Sep '06) Apr 23 bil 29
Air Conditionerís extreme POOR performance (Aug '08) Apr 6 bernie 7
oil warning light shows high,but is OK on stick (Jan '08) Apr 5 fjeinca 10
TPMS module Mar '16 Rick 1
Loss of engine power (Oct '09) Mar '16 Rockin Grandma 105
More from around the web