front end shaking on dodge 3500

Posted in the Dodge Ram 3500 Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
ronald alexander

Canada

#1 Apr 12, 2008
when i hit a bump or crack in the road my 2007 dodge ram 3500 will almost shake you right off the road so bad you have to slow right down to make it stop .dealer changed all steering and damper parts at 22500k now im at 57000k .will i need to change the front end again????
ronald alexander

Canada

#2 Apr 12, 2008
dodge ram 3500 'JUNK'
Lmtx

United States

#3 Jul 2, 2008
Yeah i have the same problem with my dodge 3500. I put a leveling kit on the front end and was thinking that was the problem, but I"m not sure. Did you put one on your truck ?
dinet2008

Maple Ridge, Canada

#4 Dec 28, 2008
ronald alexander wrote:
when i hit a bump or crack in the road my 2007 dodge ram 3500 will almost shake you right off the road so bad you have to slow right down to make it stop .dealer changed all steering and damper parts at 22500k now im at 57000k .will i need to change the front end again????
Shaking occurs when a portion of the vehicle has a mechanical resonance frequency which receives energy from another connected source. This could be a multiple of the shake frequency, not just the identical wave frequency.
e.g. The front end resonant frequency might be a multiple of the Tire rotation frequency or the engine / drive frequency. The only solution is to change the shaking section (Usually the front-end suspension) frequency. This may involve significant modifications.
rweber

United States

#5 Jan 1, 2009
ronald alexander wrote:
All the front ends are heavy with the diesel and that is a small part of the problem but a bigger problem when on secondary roads that are rough. The original front end parts such as tie rod ends and u joints do not have lube fittings which is part of the cause as they dry out. When you replace any front end parts on 4wd insure you buy parts that have the fittings for proper maintenance.
Jake Az

United States

#6 Mar 18, 2009
I have same problem with 2003 3500 4x4 tire rotation helps.
Tony

Kansas City, MO

#7 Apr 17, 2009
Every time I have heard of this problem it turned out to be ball joints. Hope that helps someone.
STEVE STB AUTO

Gatesville, TX

#8 Jun 4, 2009
ronald alexander wrote:
Have worked on 4 trucks w/this problem,found a bulletin from dodge about ckecking tie rod play(1/64th?).Haved replaced balls on all of them , put shocks,stabilizer shock,And checked the steering linkage for any other problem, None found! All the trucks have had reaccuring problems. One was shaking so villantly, the tie rod sleeve bent. an indecation that the tires are coming off the ground! I own a 2006 ram2500 4x4 Deisel,has not done it yet. I also have a2005 3500 Dually w/143000 miles,in the shop for maintenace(Putting shocks on).The front end worn out Needs balls /tie rod ends/stabilizer shock. But No complant about shacking.?????? I hate to say this, but I think I'm going shopping!
kpressey

Acheson, Canada

#9 Jun 14, 2009
I have 2008 dodge 3500 diesel. Truck shakes when travelling @ highway speeds (just put on new tires). Also at slow speeds when I hit little bumps, dips, etc... I can feel a tap or knock in the foot pedals and the steering wheel. Dealership can't seem to figure out what is wrong.
They changed out the steering box twice but it made no difference.
I am sure it is something in the front end but I can't seem to pin point it.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Dano

Macungie, PA

#10 Jun 16, 2009
I have a 07 2500 with the Cummins 43K on it tow a 5th wheel sometimes. Never off road with the exception of my backyard to drop off mulch or stone from a trailer. Last week it felt like it was stuck in 4 wheel drive put it up jack stands pulled the tires axle u- joint went bad. Took it to a trusted mechanic he also told me the ball joint were bad. So much for the heavy duty emblems. But I'm use to it Dodge front ends are never tight. Strange thing the truck drove great on the highway didnt wander or pull at all it actually felt tight except when i would make a slow turn then the steering would surge. Hope that moog parts hold up better than stock. Still love the truck
foster400

Friendswood, TX

#11 Jul 7, 2009
kpressey wrote:
I have 2008 dodge 3500 diesel. Truck shakes when travelling @ highway speeds (just put on new tires). Also at slow speeds when I hit little bumps, dips, etc... I can feel a tap or knock in the foot pedals and the steering wheel. Dealership can't seem to figure out what is wrong.
I know you probally have thought of this and may have even tried this but take it back to the tire dealer and have the balance checked again.(that is if this is a new problem) Ask them if you can watch them while balancing them. Watch the rim and make sure it is not hopping. If it is hopping it may not be the rim it may be the way it is mounted to the balancer, have them loosen it and retighten it until the rim quits hopping. If the rim is running true watch the tire if it is hopping have them rotate the tire to rim 180. Sometimes this works and if it still hops demand a new tire. If all this checks out start looking at front end parts. Just my 2 cents.
trouble

Nipawin, Canada

#12 Jul 7, 2009
have 2003 dodge 3500 bad shakes at any speed replaced front end all new. took to dodge dealership they gave back my truck and said can't find any problems don't know why it shakes. help
Jeff Little

Salt Lake City, UT

#13 Jul 14, 2009
I have this exact same thing. Anyone figure it out. Dealer does not know whats up.
kpressey wrote:
bob gruender

Odessa, MO

#14 Jul 28, 2009
my o8 dodge 3500 cab and chas shakes so bad when you hit a bump in the road and it vibretes all the time first done it with 400 miles has 22,000
the dealer says they dont know what causes it i know of 4 others that do the same thing i guess it will have to kill somebody before they do something about it
bigram

Greenville, SC

#15 Aug 26, 2009
i have the same problem and i have a 2500. and every time my tires get low or below the tire pressure recomended it will shake me off the road. every time it starts to shake add more air to the tires. I dident believe it untill a guy showed me. but its still a quick fix.
jason

Boise, ID

#16 Sep 7, 2009
bob gruender wrote:
my o8 dodge 3500 cab and chas shakes so bad when you hit a bump in the road and it vibretes all the time first done it with 400 miles has 22,000
the dealer says they dont know what causes it i know of 4 others that do the same thing i guess it will have to kill somebody before they do something about it
I lifted my 04 dodge 3500 by the hitch. which let the rear axle hang and i found a bad shock cause my does that. all have had a bad vibration for the last 2 years. none of the dealers know anything ither. mine also has the thumping feeling in the thrrottle petal. somethings always wronge
Lonny

Glidden, Canada

#17 Sep 15, 2009
when i bought my truck from the dealer i never noticed but it only had 6 ply tires on it and when i would hit a little bump or anything it would start to shake . had the tires changed to 10 ply tires and problem fixed never did do it again.
Lonny

Glidden, Canada

#18 Sep 15, 2009
Jeff Little wrote:
I have this exact same thing. Anyone figure it out. Dealer does not know whats up.
<quoted text>
i don't know if this will help but on my brothers 98 it was in the steering rod that goes to your steering column where you take it apart. it was worn in there and with the truck sitting just turn steering back and forth and get somebody to watch. this caused the clunking
ram 2500 98

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Sep 16, 2009
My truck has almost killed me, it shook me almost underneath a semi on the highway, the dealer could not find no problem but i think somewhere there has to be a recall on these trucks because if my wife was driving i would probably be a widower
TONY B

AOL

#20 Oct 12, 2009
My 07 3500 has a 4" lift three dealers can't find the problem they say it's the lift and send me out the door it'so bad it will scare the shit right out or you, won't let anyone drive it .It also has the clunking problem and feeling in the break peadle. My friend also has a 07 2500 with the same problems with no lift we are bringing them both to the same dealer at the same time i wanna see what line of bullshit they hand me!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR A FIFTY GRAND . JUST A LITTLE PISSED I GOT A DODGE CAN'T SELL IT NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL BUY THE PICE OF SHIT!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 3500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dodge ram 3500 powertrain drive shaft universal... (Jan '07) May 16 Brooklyn 58
2016 3500 shortbox Apr '16 glenn 1
Tighten parking brake cable on 2004 ram 2500 Feb '16 Ricky 1
O6 front differential shot Jan '16 Peter Conroy 1
How to fix brake resavoir (Sep '15) Sep '15 Hugh 1
Vic (Jun '15) Jun '15 vs2006megacab 1
Check engine light ram 3500 Diesel 6.7 (Jun '15) Jun '15 777RUCUZJUICE777 1
More from around the web