Chris

Winter Park, FL

#1 Jul 25, 2007
I haul loads up to 22,000 pounds. I am now at 141,000 miles. When hauling only, my tranny slips for a second at different times and between 50 to 75mph. at the same time the tow/haul light flicks and trans temp light flicks also warning bell triggers. no engine light so far. I have changed fan clutch @ 138,000 miles and service tranny. 1 hour in hauling same happens.@ 140,000 miles I changed batteries and front and tranny coolers. After 900 miles problem came back. Any ideas. Did diaognostics nothing showed up. Any other ideas?
Bruce

Citrus Heights, CA

#2 Oct 17, 2007
ATS tranny.
Your going to need a new tork converter. Maybe trying some better atf synthetic like amsoil might help as well.
Tammie

AOL

#3 Dec 28, 2008
I have been driving 3500's for approx. 7 years now for my work. We have recently bought a 02 and a 07,we also bought a 98 for our personal use about 5 years ago. We went the extra mile and got the bigger motor and 6 speed tranny on the 07 and LOVE it. I have a few helpful hints for a few of you guys out there who drive the dodge ram 3500's.
I have driven a 98 with 900,000 plus miles,02 with 500,000 plus,07 in one year 120,000 plus miles(yes these are correct numbers-not typos) for work carring approx 14,000 pounds for 4-600 miles per day 2-5 days a week. All 3 are still running to date on a daily basis. These are all hard miles, highway and town. So I have become somewhat of a dodge freak. At any rate... here are some tips that have kept ours on the road.
1)We use Amsoil oil,trans fluid,fuel additive and all greases and oils for truck.
2)We change oil at about 25,000 miles. Filter every 5000.
3)We change Trans fluid and filters every 50,000 miles.
4)We inspect all frontend parts monthly (replaceing anything appearing badly worn or broken)
5)We inspect u-joints and rearend grease monthly(replacing when necessary)
We firmly believe and have proven to several people that the Amsoil is what has saved our transmissions on many occasions. The 98 with the 900,000 miles has had Amsoil used in it for the last 700,000 plus of those miles.
We have replaced 1 rearend and 3 trans so far between the 98 and the 02, both events where from events causing the damage, such as running out of fluid and submerssing in salt water,the rearend and 1 trans for the 02 from water, and 2 trans in 98 from lines that broke and running out of fluid.
All in all, we love our trucks and have learned that with the proper maintanance they will last.
Our 98 street truck recently had a trans problem. It was slipping once in awhile and not shifting right,even shutting off and red lights because rpm dropped so low. We followed a few peoples advice and changed torque convertor($750) then both batteries($340) the filter and fluid twice, finally found someone who knew what was going on(a parts room guy in a dealership) told us on phone what was wrong. It was the Crank positioning sensor (approx $135 and 2 hours work) Runs and shifts like a top now.
Anyway, Here's my contribution to your club and i hope it helps one of ya someday. Dodge hasn't always had a great name, but the rams with the cummins engines can't be beat in our opinion. So to all of you Keep on truckin!
Tammie

AOL

#4 Dec 28, 2008
I should add also. All of these trucks still have same original motors with NO internal repairs having to be done. The most that has had to be done is front and rear seals in the 98 and twice the fuel rails have had to be replaced. None of these motors have ever been overhauled. We think is because of the Amsoil. Would recommend to anyone.
Tammie

AOL

#5 Jan 5, 2009
Read my articles...hope it helps.
ken

Cape Coral, FL

#6 Sep 19, 2012
i own a 98 ram 3500, at 100,000 mi my tranny was acting up between 45 and 55 mi per hr. took it to a tranny specilist and after spending 1,800 tryin to fix the problem it turned out to be a falty alternator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 3500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
front end shaking on dodge 3500 (Apr '08) Mar 18 Donzi22 128
dodge ram 3500 powertrain drive shaft universal... (Jan '07) Feb '15 rooster15 55
Vibration when driving (Jul '13) Mar '14 ActorMikeBiddle 2
Steering play (Jan '14) Mar '14 ActorMikeBiddle 2
09 dodge 3500 front end shake (Apr '13) Mar '14 spud 3
Heat (Jan '14) Jan '14 Shawn 1
passenger airbag (Nov '13) Nov '13 ofir 1
More from around the web