Dodge Ram is first with cleaner diesel

DaimlerChrysler says it will be the first to market with a heavy-duty pickup truck -- a Dodge Ram powered by a new Cummins diesel engine -- capable of meeting strict 2010 emissions standards in all 50 states. Full Story
binnap

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Jan 24, 2007
"When you think of the Dodge Ram heavy-duty pickup truck, you usually think of power, lots of torque and the ability to carry a big payload," -- most regular people think of all the new or rebuilt transmissions they will have to deal with! I like the Dodge but have heard all the horror stories about all the torque it makes that screws up the tranny. Why not work on that first instead of a cleaner engine?
TMiller

Columbus, IN

#2 Jan 25, 2007
The tranny issues are Chryslers typical slow to fix issue. The engine is a seperate issue our own "trusted" (sarcasim intended) EPA's doings. Chrysler answers customers demands for more power and torque, but their engineers take their time building a tranny that will hold up. Eventually, the epa will claim the tranny as a polution devise and then it will get fixed. LOL.
binnap wrote:
"When you think of the Dodge Ram heavy-duty pickup truck, you usually think of power, lots of torque and the ability to carry a big payload," -- most regular people think of all the new or rebuilt transmissions they will have to deal with! I like the Dodge but have heard all the horror stories about all the torque it makes that screws up the tranny. Why not work on that first instead of a cleaner engine?
Peter Ryce

Canada

#3 Feb 3, 2007
I have been trying to find an exact fuel economy rating for the Dodge Ram V8 hemi 5.7 litre gasoline motor and the Cummings turbo diesel for the 2007 models.
Can you possibly shed some light on this?
Thank you
diesel owner

AOL

#4 Feb 4, 2007
Peter Ryce wrote:
I have been trying to find an exact fuel economy rating for the Dodge Ram V8 hemi 5.7 litre gasoline motor and the Cummings turbo diesel for the 2007 models.
Can you possibly shed some light on this?
Thank you
My hemi got 15mpg, while my diesel gets almost 18mpg at best. But in winter diesel fuel is blended a bit different, so right now im seeing only about 15mpg.
mack

AOL

#5 Mar 6, 2007
TMiller wrote:
The tranny issues are Chryslers typical slow to fix issue. The engine is a seperate issue our own "trusted" (sarcasim intended) EPA's doings. Chrysler answers customers demands for more power and torque, but their engineers take their time building a tranny that will hold up. Eventually, the epa will claim the tranny as a polution devise and then it will get fixed. LOL.
<quoted text>
On the tranny with the cummings engine I am on my 3rd with the automatic first a 99,03 and know a 05. Ran all three to 90K and sold them to friends that own car shops or farms. Not one time have any of these trans given us any problems. Change your filter and fluid at 35K and forget about it. All three trucks have been programed and exhaust kits and the 99 has 245K on it. Put in drive and forget about it also all three models are 4x4 and pull trailers of some kind. In addition to these three I have friends that have two 04,another with a 06 that share the same results as me.......Please let me know how to mess up one of these trannies....I am running a Bully dog with a extra 130Hp and a cat back with a K&N cold air kit.......Happy Automatic Cummings owner.....
CAT

Mansfield, OH

#6 Apr 20, 2007
I have a 96 Ram TD with 258,000 miles it. Got the tranny rebuilt in 98 and lost 2nd gear about a month ago. Will be picking up my truck from the shop tomorrow with another new tranny. I did turn up the pump on it about a month prior to to having the tranny rebuilt, but I knew 2nd was gone at that time. Didn't really NEED to get it rebuilt, but took it to one of those quick oil change places to get both oil and tranny done. They ripped the hoses off the cooling unit and broke the fitting. Took it back to them and they admitted they did it and are pay8ing for if. Figured while I was getting a new cooling unit might as well do the tranny so the new cooling unit wouldn't get plugged with with crud.......
Rodney

Lahaina, HI

#7 Apr 20, 2007
Oh yah the dodge ram is the best looking truck ever!
2007 Oklahoma

Calera, OK

#9 Aug 5, 2012
This I my second dodge I drove a 1994 2 wheel dually from 94 till bout o6, now I have an 07 4x4 quad cab with cummins turbo boost fooler, aftermarket strait pipe,programmer, beefed up auto tranny with a stall kit, and airbags. The #s depend on how you drive what your pulling where you live etc...right now I get anywhere from 21 Hiway to 17 Hiway unloaded. I could lighten up on my foot and get better but I like cruising fast. On my first truck I rebuilt the auto tranny twice but other than that I didn't do anything to it. I was driving in Oregon Idaho a lot and pulling a 27 ft fith wheel travel trailer. On my truck now...I've replaced the tranny twice, ripped the overdrive unit completely off of the tranny. And second geer seems to be burning out again. Sounds like a crappy truck but then again I have air bags on the back. So even though I'm loaded to say 14 4x4x8 square bales of alfalfa. I look like any ole guy running down the Hiway. But how else are you going to get hay from Utah to Oklahoma in a timely efficient manner? Bigger truck+Heavy shop built flat bed with tandem dual trailer. I'd advise you get a jake brake and tranny cooler to start out right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 3500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
front end shaking on dodge 3500 (Apr '08) Dec 9 artfull 125
dodge ram 3500 powertrain drive shaft universal... (Jan '07) Dec 4 Nancy v 52
Vibration when driving (Jul '13) Mar '14 ActorMikeBiddle 2
Steering play (Jan '14) Mar '14 ActorMikeBiddle 2
09 dodge 3500 front end shake (Apr '13) Mar '14 spud 3
Heat (Jan '14) Jan '14 Shawn 1
passenger airbag (Nov '13) Nov '13 ofir 1
More from around the web