dodge ram 3500 powertrain drive shaft...

dodge ram 3500 powertrain drive shaft universal joint

Posted in the Dodge Ram 3500 Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
geege

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Jan 31, 2007
my ram 3500 4x4 diesel has 47000 kms and has a bad u-joint or coupler, perhaps even an unbalanced drive shaft. Vibration at low speeds and squeaking. Never been off-road, only hwy driving in winter.
Onyx

Spokane, WA

#2 Feb 12, 2007
I have 70k miles on my Ram 3500 4x4 and my rear U joint has gone bad. Upon closer inspection and looking back I have had a minor squeek and some other minor symtoms for a while and just never looked into it as they were not bad and seemed to mimic other things. Recently I have had bad vibrations and much more squeeking/grinding. I got under my truck today and sure enought the U-joint was shot. This is my first dodge purchase and so far I have replaced my front end U joints and now the drive shaft U joint. Word of advice if you can find them get new U joints with grease zert fittings, you will be able to greatly extend the life of the joint. It seems dodge has chosen to use parts that will fail. Not sure why
Gerry

United States

#4 Jul 17, 2007
checkout this website:

http://www.bayareacarfinder.com
Bruce

Sacramento, CA

#5 Oct 17, 2007
Jason wrote:
Your a Dumb ass. U-Joints dont last forever. They are all the same on every vheicle. Chevy and ford u-joints also fail. You have to replace them eventualy. DUMB ASS!!!
That is not nice. Ujoints are not all the same.
I know this because I sell u joints. Who's dumb now?
Bruce at www.drivetrainoutlet.com
Pete

Frederick, MD

#7 Nov 7, 2008
just had the same problem... took drive shaft completely apart. found that one of the u joints had no grease. caused it to lock up and make the carrier bearing go bad. My 2003 dodge duelly only had 44,000 on it when the vibration started and it wasn't long after when it was non drivable.
George jr

Warren, IN

#8 Nov 30, 2008
I got a 3500 with 458000 miles went thru 3 sets of u joints on rear shaft and 2 carrier bearings now my front driveshaft just broke I dont think thats to bad
Don

Yuma, AZ

#9 Dec 19, 2008
I checked my drive line angle loaded and unloaded
angles correct unloaded. Loaded have a five degree difference between the two piece drive line. To correct this I an installing torklift spring spacers. this puts load on overload springs immediality. If this not enough will install airbags. Then when loading will measure how much the truck squats then add enough air to bring it back to unloaded height height. This should cure the u- joint problem.
Paula

Monclova, OH

#10 Jan 9, 2009
I have a 2004 Ram 3500 4x4 with 154,800 miles on it. In the past year and a half I have replaced 7 of the 8 "U" joints. This morning I took it in to replace the last one that just went bad. All of mine have been replaced with "U" joints with grease certs. Six months ago I also had to replace the prop shaft and two months ago I replaced the component that regulates acceleration chip went bad and you can't just replace the bad part you have to replace the entire component -$500 worth). I figure at this rate I'll have a new truck in a couple more years. So far the Cummins engine is doing great!
Dalen

United States

#11 Feb 28, 2009
Hey, I have a 3500 4 x 4 and it needs new U joints bad! the carrier bearings in the rear U joint on 2 sides are no longer in there, the U joint is shot. However, the cap is so ruined that I can't see the backside of the cap on the inside side and I haven't been able to get them out. I was wondering if it is ok to put heat on it and try to get it to contract and then pull them out. I just bought this truck and it has 124K miles on it. Thank you for any information you may have.
Dennis

Eugene, OR

#12 Feb 28, 2009
Just replaced the left front axle universal, it wasn't to difficult but needed a stout puller for the hub. I would like to start replacing all the driveline universals. Can anyone explain the procedure on the front driveline front universal. I have not come across one like this before.
05 Ram 3500 90,000 miles
Rebecca

Columbus, KS

#13 May 6, 2009
I have a 03 Dodge 3500 4x4, truck went in the shop Monday. Will need a new rear u joint, driveshaft is cracked will have to be rebuilt because my drive shaft is backordered (what does that tell you)they are also rebuilding the rearend, glad it's still under warranty. It has been squeaking and clanking when shifting and I have only put on 50,000 miles of the 75,000 miles thats on it. Took it to one shop a year and a half ago when I started hearing all this and they told me "Thats what a 03 should sound like" I knew there was something wrong then but no one wanted to listen. I am considering taking out another extended warranty for 3 more years with unlimited mileage and a $100 deductible for $3460, might be worth it since I figure this trip to the shop just cost Dodge somewhere around $7-8,000.
Kristin

United States

#14 Nov 16, 2009
I have a 2007 3500 diesel that was great for the first 40000 miles. Now has 60000 on it. At 41000, a fuel injector went, and I was also complaining about some vibration between 40-50 mph. Went back in the shop today, has 60000 on it, and they say I need a whole new drive shaft b/c i was driving on a bad ujoint for so long! I haul million dollar horses in this truck and have asked repeatedly to have the vibration checked. Always told "no problems, you're fine and good to go!" No wonder Chrysler's having some problems. I don't trust my $45000 truck any more and it's less than 3 years old!
Bob from Alberta

Canada

#15 Jan 6, 2010
I have a 06 Dodge 3500 and noticed that when I engaged the 4x4 had humming and vibration under vehicle. Should i suspect U joint worn out. The transmission still sounds good noticed when in 4x4 mode and turning around corners it becomes round and drive "skips" forward..Thanks for any help.
Adam

Fergus Falls, MN

#16 Jan 31, 2010
I have an 01 2500 Dodge with 125000 replaced all the u joints twice and on the third hanger bearing. The local dealer informs me that the common problem is u joints at $75 a piece i can see why they have problems when they dont have grease zerks. in lucky if i get 25000 miles on them. the last hanger bearing had a year on it, thats over $300 after they pound the new one on w a hammer when they say they press it on!! Once again they build a motor that cant handle the drive train and people put chips on them to top it off
ReadToLearn

Lewisport, KY

#17 Feb 2, 2010
Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not nice. Ujoints are not all the same.
I know this because I sell u joints. Who's dumb now?
Bruce at www.drivetrainoutlet.com
Your right,u joints are not all the same go to a parts store and they will sale you a cheap brand or a good brand take your pick. Also when you buy ujoints make sure you buy the right ones,the 3500 has two types,my truck has the american axle heavy duty ujoints and after markets are not machined to the same spec.I have 169000 on my 3500 dodge diesel and now its ready for ujoints.Go to Quad 4/4 and get the scoop.
Bob

United States

#18 Feb 23, 2010
Gerry wrote:
checkout this website:
http://www.bayareacarfinder.com
What the heck does this website have to do with this post.
Ben

Portland, OR

#19 Mar 3, 2010
Adam wrote:
I have an 01 2500 Dodge with 125000 replaced all the u joints twice and on the third hanger bearing. The local dealer informs me that the common problem is u joints at $75 a piece i can see why they have problems when they dont have grease zerks. in lucky if i get 25000 miles on them. the last hanger bearing had a year on it, thats over $300 after they pound the new one on w a hammer when they say they press it on!! Once again they build a motor that cant handle the drive train and people put chips on them to top it off
Hey Adam!
Look up I-5 driveline in Vancouver WA for that hanger bearing problem! He makes his own with an older chevy hanger bearing case in injects rubber to make the thing solid rubber around the bearing! My Truck is getting one put in next time i go in. I have the stock hanger bearing put back in "for now" and i got to see what he makes and its the only way to go!!!! far better than OEM!
Hope this helps everybody!!!
jason

United States

#20 Apr 19, 2010
got an 08 dodge 2500 4x4 have had turbo problems, emission probs, two injecters have been replaced, a recall on some dash fire problem an now u joint going bad an factory can't seem to get part I need an all this an truck has under 75k. to any one who cares I've always had a dodge even have a restored 87 chrysler conquest but I promiss this is the last mopar product I will ever buy.
THL

Fairfield, IA

#21 Apr 19, 2010
geege wrote:
my ram 3500 4x4 diesel has 47000 kms and has a bad u-joint or coupler, perhaps even an unbalanced drive shaft. Vibration at low speeds and squeaking. Never been off-road, only hwy driving in winter.
Well Unfortunately U joints go bad my 03 3500 (not Duelly) hads 4 front replaced by me with greasable im talking axle ends. factory u joints arent greasable cause then you couldnt pay dealers t orepair them, I just put in a spyntech hub kit, 1/2 done tomarro ill finish it. no more front end turning wearing out when i dont need 4x4. one thing i dont like is bed side is rusting out fron inside out above rear wheels. cummins going strong Thank you God. injector pump replaced Under waranty. ill keep this truck forever very strong and great towing.
THL

Fairfield, IA

#22 Apr 19, 2010
jason wrote:
got an 08 dodge 2500 4x4 have had turbo problems, emission probs, two injecters have been replaced, a recall on some dash fire problem an now u joint going bad an factory can't seem to get part I need an all this an truck has under 75k. to any one who cares I've always had a dodge even have a restored 87 chrysler conquest but I promiss this is the last mopar product I will ever buy.
before you bought the 08 you should have done more research, firts thing you should have done is get rid of stock exhaust that egr crap they installed to burn wate iin exhaust will ruin the engine but it wasnt supposed to hapen until out of warranty, i like to think I bought a cummins it just happened to wrapped in a dodge body, my tranny started to slip at 50k used Lucas when i did the fluid change tranny fixed. mustve been a stuck valve. usual ujoint replacemat i am currently putting hub kit in it spyntech, dodge screwed the pouch on that full time crap and sealed bearing, well no more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 3500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2016 3500 shortbox Apr '16 glenn 1
Tighten parking brake cable on 2004 ram 2500 Feb '16 Ricky 1
O6 front differential shot (Jan '16) Jan '16 Peter Conroy 1
front end shaking on dodge 3500 (Apr '08) Oct '15 ron1930 131
How to fix brake resavoir (Sep '15) Sep '15 Hugh 1
Vic (Jun '15) Jun '15 vs2006megacab 1
Check engine light ram 3500 Diesel 6.7 (Jun '15) Jun '15 777RUCUZJUICE777 1
More from around the web