2004 ram door lock stuck down

Posted in the Dodge Ram 1500 Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
mowin momma

Palestine, TX

#1 Feb 16, 2010
M driver' side dook lock is stuck down. The door will open with thehandle from inside, but door lock outside won't open with key, pull up knob on inside won't ull up & remote wont open it. All other locks work, as does the power window. Any suggestions?
Darlene

Comox, Canada

#2 Apr 18, 2010
mowin momma wrote:
M driver' side dook lock is stuck down. The door will open with thehandle from inside, but door lock outside won't open with key, pull up knob on inside won't ull up & remote wont open it. All other locks work, as does the power window. Any suggestions?
SAME Thing with my 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 Hemi truck. Just started happening. Weird. We changed the headlight lamp and you know how the lights flash when you use your unlock on key fob, do you think the changing of the lamp could have anything to do with the driver door now not working.(I can't open it with the key either, and can't pull the lock button up eihter, it is like it is stuck in the lock position.) I have to reach in from the back and reach forward to open my door from the inside. HUGE PAIN. How many other people have this problem? Anyone know what the fix is? If I have a bumper to bumper warranty, will this be covered? Thanks. Darlene.
Robert in San Jose

Cupertino, CA

#3 Jun 28, 2010
SAME thing JUST happened to my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi this morning! EXACT same thing with the door. Won't open with remote. Can't pull up lock plunger or unlock with key. Can only open from inside! Did not replace any headlights though. Will take off my inner door panel when I get off work today. If I find the problem and solution I will post.
robert in baltimore

United States

#5 Jul 17, 2010
my 2004 just did the same thing on the driver's side. Two days later the latch died and now I have to climb over the seat to get out. Time to trade this POS in.
Anbody got an idea how to open this door to rip the latch out and replace it?$90 at the dealer. Don't bother looking for a used one, they don't exist. Must be a common problem because the junkyards don't have any.
Nae Nae

United States

#6 Jul 25, 2010
The exact same thing has happened to my 2004 Dodge Ram. The driver's door lock is stuck will only open with the handle from the inside. It is a pain! Of course everything goes wrong just right when the warranty runs out. I have also had a problem with it dying, just completely engine turns off when I am breaking and making a sharp turn. CRAZY!
Chandler

San Jose, CA

#7 Nov 8, 2010
Robert in San Jose wrote:
SAME thing JUST happened to my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi this morning! EXACT same thing with the door. Won't open with remote. Can't pull up lock plunger or unlock with key. Can only open from inside! Did not replace any headlights though. Will take off my inner door panel when I get off work today. If I find the problem and solution I will post.
Hey man, did you ever get a solution?? My 2004 just started doing the same.
Darlene

Comox, Canada

#8 Nov 9, 2010
I had a shop look at mine, it is the "Door Latch Auchterlator" not sure of spelling, but will cost about $200 to fix apparently. Wasn't worth it to me, discovered if you put key in and turn really hard while pulling on door handle, you can actually open the door with a key. Found that out after I lost my remote keyless entry fob. Imagine without that thing, and this door problem, we all have trucks we can't get into. ha ha.
Be careful....if the truck is running, the doors are probably all locked - you know how they lock when you hit 20kmh, so if you stop somewhere and jump out to do something and the driver's door swings shut on you, guess what, you are totally locked out of your vehicle, and it is running. Found that out the hard way too. Accidentally locked my grandson in the truck, good thing I had another key I was able to quickly go get and get the door open while my mom kept the grandson busy through the window. Yay Dodge.
2004 - RAM1500

San Antonio, TX

#9 Apr 10, 2011
Mine happened yesterday... I ended up pulling the door latch, hardest part about doing this is it is very hard to see the actual latch, you have to work with a mechanics mirror and a flashlight to unhook the rods that move with the handle and locks... once the rods are removed the latch is fairly easy to get out. What I found out is you can remove a gear to disconnect the keyless actuator assembly and the door will operate normally you just won't have keyless entry feature.... or you can buy the latch from a Dodge OEM dealer online for about $75.

-Good Luck
Darlene

Comox, Canada

#10 Apr 10, 2011
I took my truck in and was told it is the "door latch autcherlator" and would cost over $250 to fix. I also found that if you put the key in the lock and turn it really really hard while pulling on the door handle at the same time, you can actually unlock the door. So I just do that. It has been almost a year and I am used to it now. Lost the remote key opener anyway. Just make sure you have a spare key (or get one cut) that you leave at home. I have a spre key that can open the door only but cannot start the truck.(They told me if I tried to start the truck with the copied key, it would lock up the starter mechanism, and would have to get dealer/repair to fix and get it working again. So yes all in all one big pain in the butt. Makes me think maybe we should have stuck to the old methods, crank windows, and locks you press down with your finger to lock. You know, like we did twenty years ago.
Ted

Janesville, WI

#11 May 14, 2011
i had this happen and i removed the door acutator and forced it by hand till it freed up the power lock on the driver side will not work however i can lock and unlock the door with the key as though it was new at least this may save you from climbing over the seat or snapping the key in two. i am still looking into the possibility of rebuilding the actuator when and if i find a way i will let everyone know. good luck

04 ram 1500 5.7 hemi rumble bee is the vehicale this worked on so far im sure it will be the same on all the dodges with this actuator
cody

Denver, CO

#12 Jun 6, 2011
On my 2004 dodge 1500 the drivers side back door got stuck in the lock position. i pulled on the lock with a pair of pliers to try to unlock it, the lock sliped out and sunk down inside the door. now the door is locked shut and there is no way to open it and there is no room between the back seat and the door to pull the panel off. now the door is locked for good. any ideas how to fix it?
Israel

New Braunfels, TX

#13 Aug 6, 2011
Same problem happened to me today. Driver side door locked and will not unlock. I had to remove the door actuator and remove the gear. Now it works as a regular door with key entry and opens from the inside. I am going to replace the acctuator as soon as I can.
Jay

Alpine, CA

#14 Sep 14, 2011
the "door latch autcherlator" it was 83 dollars at the dealer he said it is a common problem so to fix. Just make shore you have a Torks bit for the screws on the door latch they are on the door jam there are 3 and one below for the window track take the door panel off peal back the plastic un screw the side bolts I talked about and undo the one below that is the window track keep the window up and nothing will happen but it allows you to get the lock mechanism out there are 4 rods that go into it once the bolts are out you can move the lock mech around easier to unclip them just use a flat tip or fingers then unplug power and replace took 20 min easy day I didn't need anything other then the part and drill with philipshead and Todd bit quick fix and locks all work great again thanks to others putting comments here it was an easy fix thanks guys also found that if you put the key in the lock and turn it really really hard while pulling on the door handle at the same time, you can actually unlock the door.
Heidi

New Waterford, Canada

#15 Sep 23, 2011
I have this same problem with my 2005 Magnum, rear drivers side door... Which is relly not good because it's a rear door, therefore no keyhole and I have a 5 year old that sits in the back, we've put him on the passenger side but sometimes that one sticks too... If i want to unlock that door I have to roll the window down and use my teeth to pull the lock up... Not very good at all!! I now know why the previous owner got rid of it :(
Trick

Bardstown, KY

#16 Sep 23, 2011
This just happened to my 2004 Ram. What a bunch of BS! You can't find aftermarket parts, can't find used OEM and the dealer should be brought up on prostitution charges
magnetude

Modesto, CA

#17 Oct 11, 2011
mowin momma wrote:
I Called Chrystler to see if there are any recalls. They stated not at this time. But they did suggest I contact Office of defects Investigation to report the problem. They also Chrystler also stated that if there are enough complaints about this issue to ODI that a recall may available in the future. And to hang on to receipts for part and repair and it would be refunded if a recall is issued. But we all need to call 1-888-327-4236 to file a complaint or go to the website to file a complaint. The website is www.nhtsa.gov . Just wanted to let everyone know about the information in hopes it will help us all.
magnetude

Modesto, CA

#18 Oct 11, 2011
2004 Dodge Ram Truck having a problem with driver side door lock not opening.I call Chrysler
to see if there are any recalls. They not at this time. But they did suggest I contact Office of defects Investigation to report the problem. They also Chrysler also stated that if there are enough complaints about this issue to ODI that a recall may available in the future. And to hang on to receipts for part and repair and it would be refunded if a recall is issued. But we all need to call 1-888-327-4236 to file a complaint or go to the website to file a complaint. The website is www.nhtsa.gov . Just wanted to let everyone know about the information in hopes it will help us all. open with key or key fob.
High Dollar Henry

United States

#19 Oct 13, 2011
SAME THING happened to Me. I tried to get into the Driver side front door and nothing would turn the knob and couldn't pull it up either. Had to enter from the back door and then reach up to the front door latch to get in. I called the Dealer and they want $88. Door Lock Actuator. 2005 Ram 1500. The front panel is 4 phillips screws, & One 10mm bolt on latch. I will work on this tommorrow. Good luck to everyone!
MYJ

Denver, CO

#20 Nov 9, 2011
Thanks Jay! Had the same thing happen to my 2004 Ram 2500 Diesel yesterday. I followed your description of the repair and 30 minutes later it's good as new. Bought the new actuator from the dealer for about $100 and I asked if a recall has been issued yet and they searched and said no... not yet. I was surprised to see so many comments with the same problem on the same door for the same model year. Good luck to anyone who finds the same problem in the future.
TheMatador

Federal Way, WA

#21 Nov 21, 2011
www.dodgeparts.com has the actuator for $52.56

This just happened to me too - hope there is a recall for it!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
silinoid pak Tue Leo Sirois1956 1
Dodge Ram 1500 2004 model thermostat location (Mar '07) Feb 17 tmt100173 113
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Track bar bushings Feb 13 soccerreff 1
tire size Feb 10 whatthe 1
2002dodge ram 1500 slt quits running Feb 7 Jordiee 1
Bolt pattern Feb 5 Somfa23 1
1996 dodge ram 1500 4 wheel drive issue Jan '15 bryanroberts1974 2
More from around the web