Dodge Ram 1500 Lug Nuts
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Aug 29, 2008
Is anyone having problems with their Dodge Ram 1500 lug nuts? I am trying to figure out if my tire place is just over-torquing them. Each of the last 3 visits have resulted in 1-3 lug nut replacements.
Anthony

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Oct 10, 2008
I just purchased a 2003 1500 and I bent the lug wrench, had to use a 4ft pipe on the lug wrench to get them off! Now the lug wrench is bent, I broke a socket extension and had to hammer on a socket to get two off! Unbelievable!
fast

Wooster, OH

#3 Jun 17, 2010
yea they are soft metal and strech easy i have replaced almost all of mine
Arizona Cath

Gilbert, AZ

#4 Jul 23, 2010
I just got back from trying to replace mine. My tire guy showed me the problem (soft closed lug nuts) so i went to AutoZone and got the open lug nuts that supposedly fit my truck. They didn't and now I'm trying to see what other people are replacing them with. Help
obamanation

Palm Bay, FL

#5 Aug 2, 2010
i got the original replacements for the caravan
get original replacements at dealer or parts store
the torque values listed arent right
dont use air to tightendown
on the road if , you have to change a tire ,youre sol
use a torque wrench or breaker bar
robert r aggen

Nashville, TN

#6 Sep 30, 2010
O.E. dodge, chrysler or jeep jug nut with chrome sleeves made onto them are junk you need to find a solid acorn style lug nut
Eivanc

Clinton, MD

#7 Oct 21, 2010
Mike wrote:
Is anyone having problems with their Dodge Ram 1500 lug nuts? I am trying to figure out if my tire place is just over-torquing them. Each of the last 3 visits have resulted in 1-3 lug nut replacements.
I am having the SAME problem!!! I'm looking to replace ALL of mine!
Steve

Delaware, OH

#8 Oct 28, 2010
I have a 2004 Ram 1500. The lugs that are OEM are not designed to last. They are basically a steel lug nut wrapped in chrome. Over time water gets in between the chrome and steel lug and corrodes. You will see areas on your lugs that look bulged. It does'nt take long before you can't get your socket over the lug.
I'm now at the point where I have to replace all my lugs. Cost for solid lugs are rather pricy. Anyone have any leads on inexpensive solid lugs?
Dan

Odon, IN

#9 Dec 22, 2010
Lug nuts on the Ram are prone to swelling over time. Best bet is just to replace them every 3-5 years. If not they can be a pain to get off and on. Not something you really want to fight on the side of the road.
Eivanc

Clinton, MD

#10 Dec 22, 2010
Steve wrote:
I have a 2004 Ram 1500. The lugs that are OEM are not designed to last. They are basically a steel lug nut wrapped in chrome. Over time water gets in between the chrome and steel lug and corrodes. You will see areas on your lugs that look bulged. It does'nt take long before you can't get your socket over the lug.
I'm now at the point where I have to replace all my lugs. Cost for solid lugs are rather
pricy. Anyone have any leads on inexpensive
solid lugs?
I found a great set on eBay for 20 solid lugs I paid about $60. I'm sure u can find the same seller they only deal in lug nuts and customer service was great.
ram sport

Ingersoll, Canada

#11 Apr 21, 2011
i am not but i am having problems with my rims grill and stepbars chrome is peeling of my rims and is starting on my grill and my running boards called dodge they wont come good 2007 ram sport with 64000 kms on it
Not Happy with DODGE

Cincinnati, OH

#12 May 11, 2011
Mike wrote:
I have a 2010 Ram and less than a year old and have several nuts BAD they have swollen and need replaced. The dealership and DODGE corp have refused to replace them under warranty. This IS THE LAST DODGE I will ever own. If a corp can not stand behind a defect like cheap lug nuts screw them. See you soon Ford
jerry

Monroe, MI

#13 Jun 28, 2011
Mike wrote:
they should be torqued at 100# i had my tires replaced and the clown torqued them at 140# which is alright for the 2500 and 3500 series but not the 1500series
Rob

Spring, TX

#14 Jul 16, 2011
I just took the lugs off my 2010 Ram for the first time to rotate the tires. I junked all the lugs. I was very careful and used a breaker bar - not an impact wrench. They were toked at the factory.

Looking for a good replacement. Any thoughts? I don't want to use the dealer parts as they are the same junk grade that were on the truck.

Thoughts?

Rob
Hank

Muldrow, OK

#15 Dec 13, 2011
Mike wrote:
I am having the same problem. The guys at the tire store were using 23mm sockets instead of 7/8 and rounding off the shoulders also over-torquing.
Eivanc

Gainesville, VA

#16 Dec 13, 2011
I found great solid acorn style lugs for my 2003 Dodge Ram on eBay. I gotta great price and the company gets great reviews. If u search eBay you should find em. They are 100x better than OEM and look fine on my 20" rims.
Dave

New Freedom, PA

#17 Jan 29, 2012
I'm shopping online for solid lug nuts (nuts that don't have the chrome sleeve) for my '03 Ram 1500 as well. When I rotate my tires, I need three sockets. One for the nuts that still have a good chrome sleeve attached, one to beat onto the ones that have a crushed chrome sleeve, and one for the ones that I removed the chrome sleeves on. Not only is the chrome sleeve a problem, but my lug nuts don't have sharp edges on the point of the nuts. Each point is flat, which makes the sleeve spin, or strip. I don't use my air gun on them anymore. On two occasions I had to cut the chrome sleeve off while still on the truck. What a crappy design. If anyone has found any good solid replacements, please post a response, Dave.
MOPARBOY

Baie-comeau, Canada

#18 Jan 30, 2012
I put a little amount of anti-seize compound on each studs and torqued nuts to 100 lb/ft. I made this way for 25 years on all of my cars (G.M. Ford, dodge)
and i only strip 1 stud (on G.M. van) since. I only refresh anti-seize before posing my winter tires.
Be sure that studs and nuts are clean before assembling together.To remove salt and dirt you could use wd-40 and a old tooth brush to wash it clean. It is a small attention that value the worth!
Dave2

Cleveland, OH

#19 May 7, 2012
Same issue here, 2008 Ram 20" and I had to get new tires (at 37k !), dealer told me I should buy replacement lugs from them, I paid $115. I just had my tires rotated for the first time and when I had to pull a tire off I found the new chrome lug nuts deformed as well. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. So what am I going to have these replaced with...from the dealer at no cost. I already paid to have NEW lug nuts, it hasn't been 6 months!
Ram-Z

United States

#20 Sep 2, 2012
I have a dodge RAM 2010 with 17000 miles almost all the lug nut on the 4 wheels need to be replaced,Chrysler don't want to cover these with the warranty they have a excuses for everything does anybody decide to take any legal action that you know ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 dodge ram 1500 truck 4.7l v8 magnum overhe... (Apr '09) Jul 21 Daniel 51
Daniel Jul 21 Daniel 1
tires Jul 4 bob c 1
Level lift Jun '17 Deli 58 1
Steering Column completely loose and truck won'... Apr '17 2003RAM1500 1
2004 ram door lock stuck down (Feb '10) Apr '17 Fixer 65
2004 ram 1500 seat problem (Jun '07) Mar '17 Kane 39
More from around the web