2002 dodge ram 1500 truck 4.7l v8 mag...

2002 dodge ram 1500 truck 4.7l v8 magnum overheating

Posted in the Dodge Ram 1500 Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
rmystic9

United States

#1 Apr 21, 2009
have replaced fan clutch,radiator,cooling sensor and thermostat. still overheats. what else can i do? please help
rmystic27@yahoo.com
rag

United States

#2 Apr 27, 2009
tried water pump
rick

Kenilworth, NJ

#3 May 26, 2009
rmystic9 wrote:
have replaced fan clutch,radiator,cooling sensor and thermostat. still overheats. what else can i do? please help
rmystic27@yahoo.com
...i got the same problem..let me know if you fix it..thanks corp808@yahoo.com
Dan Smith

Jena, LA

#4 May 26, 2009
I have the same problem, in my research I've come across several reports that a clogged catalytic converter was the problem. If you haven't cured the overheating problem you might want to have it checked.
Bob R

Marysville, CA

#5 Jun 13, 2009
rmystic9 wrote:
rmystic27@yahoo.com
I had the same problem, did the same things. If I run the heater, it cools. Once it cools, it usually does not overheat again. It got to be almost undriveable. I did one thing at a time, fan clutch last cause it only overheats on the highway. Which is opposite of what it should do. Fan clutch did it for the year....now overheating again. I'm doing the fan clutch thing again.
QuickCurt

San Antonio, TX

#6 Jul 11, 2009
I think everyone that has a simular truck has the same problem. I feel that it is a design problem. I am going to add a pusher fan to the front of my truck and see if it will increase the air flow. I tried to find a bigger radiator but no one seems to make a replacement because of the way it is made to hold the trans cooler ect. My next move is to add a small radiator with a fan somewhere on the firewall or behind the grill. This is kind of drastic but I am almost at my wits end.
Ben

La Plata, MD

#7 Jul 2, 2010
Same prob- replaced
temp sensor
fan clutch
water pump
thermostat
coolant cap

Still haven't solved the problem
fairly new heater core in it
Anthony

Tyler, TX

#8 Jul 20, 2010
Bob R wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the same problem, did the same things. If I run the heater, it cools. Once it cools, it usually does not overheat again. It got to be almost undriveable. I did one thing at a time, fan clutch last cause it only overheats on the highway. Which is opposite of what it should do. Fan clutch did it for the year....now overheating again. I'm doing the fan clutch thing again.
ir is your head gasket trust me same happened to me
rob

Higganum, CT

#9 Aug 12, 2010
Anthony wrote:
<quoted text> ir is your head gasket trust me same happened to me
i had the same problem when towing my camper with my dakota with same engine.it ended up being a head gasket leak. i think you can do a pressure test at a garage to see if you have a gasket leak.
robbie

Greenville, SC

#10 Jun 3, 2011
ok ive got a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7 the water pump went out on it , i replaced it and now it over heats any ideas
Raphael TN

Memphis, TN

#11 Jun 14, 2011
I have 1997 dodge ram 1500 Where is the cooling sensor located? It's thing i haven't replced.
Sphendeisel

Beavercreek, OR

#12 Jul 15, 2011
rmystic9 wrote:
rmystic27@yahoo.com
it's the head gasket..sad but true! I'm doing the head gasket job right now actually. Just to make sure though..check your oil first..as in drain it..there may be water in your oil..also can check the spark plugs. Preferably number 1 first. Hope that helps ya.
616hzd

UK

#13 Jul 17, 2011
hi, i had same problem, hotter on run, now ive cooked it, never replaced rsd cap correctly after checking on motorway( yep im in uk)now have water coming out of muffler box tail pies and oil fill cap,,, head casket most definately gone,,,,like yourself can fix headcasket(S) but the problem that caused this failure is still there, so im opting for replacment engine... and taking risk of it being sent to uk from usa,, so even a gauranteed engine would be crazy cant send it back ups and after fitting labour could be complete waiste of mony,,, so dont think you have it so bad theres always me,, im so unlucky if i tread in dog poo there be a nail in it,,, good luck to you all
Tennessee

Elizabethton, TN

#14 Jul 17, 2011
rmystic9 wrote:
rmystic27@yahoo.com
Its the head gasket. Plus i found my PRC engine valve stopped up($3) and also my radiador cap was stuck>
MikeFL

Argyle, FL

#15 Jul 17, 2011
Have 2002 Ram w/4.7L... Found out the secret from a disgruntled Dodge mech. The head bolts are faulty and stretch after repeated heat. This allows certain parts of heads to warp. THIS allows water to be sucked through engine and burned. Slow process but will cause engine to over heat. Also oil is slowly pulled same way. Having unusual coolant or oil loss??? Now you know. My 2002 just blew due to over heating and I've been fighting Chrysler 2 years over the problem... and their CEO wonders why there is a consumer fear of their products..... DUH Great truck....bad engine. Can't afford replacement. Chrysler should invest AD money in cust. satisfaction.
herbert

Long Beach, NY

#16 Jul 22, 2011
my 2002 4.7 magnum overheat
markone

Orangevale, CA

#17 Aug 9, 2011
I have a 2005 1500 4x4 and the clutch fan stays on alot so i replaced it and still same thing going crazy ready to ship it to mexico.
Marlon

Baton Rouge, LA

#18 Oct 4, 2011
Hi everybody !!! I have found the problem . 2005 4.7 Magnum - All parts changed,waterpump,T-stat , temp sens ,fanclutch .?? Still overheating ?? This solved it . 5/16 allen wrench . Follow top rad hose to the engine see the allen screw ? Loosen it to bleed air from cooling system ,have engine running until only coolant comes out no bubbles !! WORKED ON MY TRUCK !!
jdub

United States

#19 Oct 31, 2011
I love my 02 dodge ram 1500 4x4 but this will be my third and last 4.7, (due to overheating problems.) should i think himi
Robert

Louisville, OH

#20 Dec 30, 2011
i've a '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 litre engine bought used has 82000 miles shortly after buying started running into overheating issues. have replaced radiator cap, thermostat, fan clutch. trying to figure out whats wrong. also little to no heat in cab

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Ram 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No crank no start. 2003 Dodge ram 4x4 Aug 26 Jhohl73 1
1998 dodge ram 1500 44 leveling kit Aug '17 buckmaster 1
Daniel Jul '17 Daniel 1
tires Jul '17 bob c 1
Level lift Jun '17 Deli 58 1
Steering Column completely loose and truck won'... Apr '17 2003RAM1500 1
2004 ram door lock stuck down (Feb '10) Apr '17 Fixer 65
More from around the web