02 neon vibration under acceleration
Alex

Simpsonville, SC

#21 Jan 1, 2010
I have 2003 Dodge Neon SXT that was giving problems with the engine light active and rough time changing gears. So I first replace the camshaft sensor (CMP) and that had stop the engine light from coming on. That sensor is suppose to control certain amount fuel to the engine. Then I replace the automatic transmission solenoid and that helped out with the gear shifting. Now Im having problems with Excessive Vibration. So I will check the motor mounts.
Richard

Dallas, TX

#22 Jan 29, 2010
My daughter has the same problem. Sound when you accelerate in drive, but not in reverse or park. Only makes a sound when you are driving. My mechanic replaced the upper motor mount. Still has the sound. Still searching for the problem.
dave

Waipahu, HI

#23 Mar 17, 2010
david wrote:
hi there i read through this thread and i have sort of the same problem.
i took my 03 dodge neon to the dealership this morning and they told me my vibrations were from the motor mount
i had this "fixed" 13 months ago which conveniently puts my warranty void!!!
i am so mad i bought this car brand new and i have had to service it so many times already.
i just want to fork out for a new car already!!!!!
Has anyone figured out what the cause was on these problems??
I have the same thing. Changed all motor mounts, still vibrates. Strange.. on a timming light,#2 plug fire rapidly all others fine, changed the coil mod. and wires and plugs, still the same, but now #3 plug seem to fire rapidly???? hmmmm :(
bob

Tampa, FL

#24 Apr 12, 2010
hey i just bought a 2003 dodge neon replaced upper and lower torque mounts its still vibrating im not sure what to do next i see alot of threads on this problem i know it is not the tranny i got the manual on the car and i went thru it and saw that the passenger side mount is the hardest to change however from what i see here is that it could be the one making all the vibration can someone give me a heads up on what to do
Jim

Fresno, CA

#25 Jul 7, 2010
My 2002 Dodge Neon has developed a steering wheel shimmy. It seems to be barely noticable between 50 and 60 mph but peaks about 15 mph. At low speed I got the impression that the wheel was pulling towards the right. I then let go of the steering wheel and it did a stepping clockwise motion to the right. The car did not go straight but slowly turned to the right instead. The power steering fluid level was ok. The problem should probably be checked out by a mechanic.
Gary

Ewa Beach, HI

#26 Sep 14, 2010
LexDivinia wrote:
Okay, I went and picked up my car from Dodge this morning and they showed me the difference between motor mounts and torsion mounts on my car.
Seems the parts I have already replaced are the "torsion mounts" and I still need to replace the actual motor mount on the passenger side of the car.
The "vibration/rattle" I hear is the motor grounding out on the frame of the car.
So haviing only the one mtor mount replaced on the passenger side solved the problem? It is a time consuming task to do such replacement. Please tell me the approx cost of part and larbor.
gpwhls

Auburn, CA

#27 Oct 19, 2010
sometimes they replace upper mount and lower mount but vibration is due to the front mount.you can check by looking above passenger front tire in wheel well.theres a plug take this out.you will see back of rubber motor mount.jack up engine a little you can see if it seperates.then you know its bad,replace.
JASON WEST

Antioch, CA

#28 Oct 23, 2010
Ihave an 03 Neon SXT and am having the same problom.I noticed a clunking sound coming from the front end and could even feel it in the floor board as i hit small bumps in the road...after a couple weeks a vibration stated happening along with a grinding sound every time i accelerate or turn, after lifting the hood and inspecting, i found my left top motor mount had broke,"the rubber insulation had actully broken apart" im about to replace this mount and hope that was part of the major vibration. Does this sound fimilar to anyone?
Gary

Ewa Beach, HI

#29 Nov 17, 2010
Gary wrote:
<quoted text> So haviing only the one motor mount replaced on the passenger side solved the problem? It is a time consuming task to do such replacement. Please tell me the approx cost of part and larbor.
2003 Dodge Neon SXT. I just replaced the timing belt, tensioner, water pump and while I had the motor mount exposed, I replaced it. I should have the car back on the road by 11/19. I'll keep you posted. Previously I had reported an annoying vibration and after replacing both upper and lower torque struts the vibration was still there.
Gary

Ewa Beach, HI

#30 Nov 19, 2010
Just finished putting my 2003 Dodge Neon back together. With the new engine mount it now feels like a new car. All the vibration is gone. There are actually 3 items (mounts)supporting the passenger side of the engine. 2 of them are called Torque Struts, one at the top and one at the bottom of the engine. The 3rd item is the Engine mount (reffered to as the rear mount)between the frame and the timing case cover. This is the culprit relative to vibration. The ideal time to change that mount is when you change the timing belt (105,000 miles or 84 months) because the timing case cover has to be removed to have enough room to extract the old mount and install the new one. Additionally, the passenger side of the engine has to be jacked up as high as possible to make things reachable and for the parts to be clear obstructions.
Alli

Lisle, IL

#31 Jun 19, 2011
My 2002 Dodge Neon is having relatively the same issue, when I go to back out of my driveway and the car is in reverse it shakes and sometimes jumps a little bit. Also, the check engine light has been on for quite some time. I wonder if this might have been an indicator of some sort? One last thing, when the car is turned on and shifted into drive my car takes forever to accelerate and stalls frequently. I only have a little over 90,000 miles on it and have had it for not even three years. Any suggestions?
Gary

San Diego, CA

#32 Jun 19, 2011
steve wrote:
engine runs smooth at a stop. get vibes from front end when accelerating. DOES NOT DO IN REVERSE ( this has to be a key hint). i replaced the lower torque arm which the rubber was busted. i can't see the motor mounts to inspect, they are burried. i checked the axles, boots are fine, no leaking. auto tranny. not a tire thing. i suspected axles but i can't tell if they are bad. i grabbed them and wiggled, don't seem to be bad CV's but not sure.
Could still be CV's. Sometimes bad CV's don't act bad on a static test but under load they can cause vibration. Check for torque steer(any slight pulling from either side under acceleration) during turn especially(you will feel it in the steering wheel).
Joby

Dallas, TX

#33 Jul 13, 2011
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
Could still be CV's. Sometimes bad CV's don't act bad on a static test but under load they can cause vibration. Check for torque steer(any slight pulling from either side under acceleration) during turn especially(you will feel it in the steering wheel).
The people saying it's the motor mount are right. There are four motor mounts (2 torque struts and two mounts)--the one you can't see is the problem. It's inside the passenger fender wall--you can see it through a plug hole just above the wheel in the fender. Jack the engine up (using a block of wood between jack and oil pan yada yada yada) and you'll see the bushing through that hole stretch. Mine was disintegrated. Anyway, that's the problem.

It sounds like CV joints or the transmission because it causes those components to sag, but the problem is that danged mount.
Veronica

Pinola, MS

#34 Aug 6, 2011
Can the weight on the motor mount make the difference with the vibration of the car if it is off of the mount???????? Please help.
Gary

Ewa Beach, HI

#35 Aug 6, 2011
Verionica,

I don't understand you question. What wight are you talking about?
Veronica

Pinola, MS

#36 Aug 6, 2011
The little part with the two screws attached to it I had it replace by a and was tryig to figure out why the car was still vibrating another repair man notied the part was missing.
ken

Colorado Springs, CO

#37 Aug 23, 2011
Same with the motor mounts on my daughters neon. replaced the obvious ones with the broken rubbers, but turns out the one on the passenger fender is the culprit, and no room to work on it, of course. Same symptoms you guys are talking about; vibration and noise when accelerating, then makes it again if you hit a bump in the road. Get the tools out!(and someone to aid with small hands)
jason

Hopatcong, NJ

#38 Aug 26, 2011
im a mechainic i have a 02 dodge neon i cant find the rattle nosie for nothing. i think it is a trans mount cause it only make that rattle when accelerating.
abby

Indian Trail, NC

#39 Sep 14, 2011
if you have strange vibration in your dodge neon,you need to change the motor mount witch located between the upper and lower motor mount,is hidden under the frame,is hard to see,auto zone sell that for $59.00,i am 100% sure because ,i am car dealer and i am dealing a lot with that problem.
raul

Southaven, MS

#40 Dec 7, 2011
bob wrote:
hey i just bought a 2003 dodge neon replaced upper and lower torque mounts its still vibrating im not sure what to do next i see alot of threads on this problem i know it is not the tranny i got the manual on the car and i went thru it and saw that the passenger side mount is the hardest to change however from what i see here is that it could be the one making all the vibration can someone give me a heads up on what to do
I've had the same problem trust me its the one on the middle took me two hours to replace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
neon engine swap (Dec '06) 10 hr marci 125
2000 Dodge Neon - No Start, No Sound, Not Battery (Jun '11) Sep 11 James Wiggins 33
Transmission whining 2000 dodge neon ??? (Jun '12) Sep 5 Purekg18 7
95 neon that won't start unless held forward in... Aug 23 Steve 1
Problems with 2005 Dodge Neon Aug 20 cparara 1
2003 Dodge Neon SXT cooling fans not working (Apr '11) Aug 20 diver 11
Brake line bolt Aug 20 Purekg18 1
More from around the web