2004 Dodge Neon SXT Problems

Posted in the Dodge Neon Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Amanda

AOL

#1 Sep 4, 2007
I have a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT. We bought it used in March of 2006 and it currently has around 37,000 miles on it. I mainly drive it in the city and it has not been on any long trips since we bought it. Within the last month, it has occasionally had problems starting up and when it does not start up immediately, it takes about 5 seconds for it to finally start, the check engine light turns on and then it will not go above 2200 RPMs. Once it gets up to around 2200 RPMs, it will not shift, but will start to shake and stutter, but once I let my foot off the gas and it shifts, it drives fine again. On the days when it starts right up, it will not have any problems driving, but the check engine light will remain on and once I drive it for too long, it starts to have problems over 2200 RPMs. If anyone can give any thoughts as to what this might be, it would be extremely appreciated.
MrVivona

Casselberry, FL

#2 Oct 3, 2007
If your check engine light is on, you need to get the code that has been set. That will at least tell you what problem had been detected by your car's computer. To get the code, turn the ignition to on (not all the way to start, but to the point just before start), then off, then on, then off, then on and leave it there and your odometer should display a code, or a series of codes. When it has completed displaying the stored codes, it will display "DONE". Write these codes down and go to http://www.obd-codes.com/search/ and find out what they mean.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
neon owner

Encino, CA

#3 Oct 8, 2007
i had a similar problem. i would be driving on the freeway and when i would give it gas the car would stutter then id take my foot off and -slowly- give it gas and it would drive fine.
the problem i think i was having was that my spark plugs were misfiring. i bought new boush spark plugs and boush cables ( about 70 to 80 bucks total at autozone) and my car ran better than ever!!! good luck.
dianne

Hammond, IN

#4 Jan 5, 2008
hi i am having trouble with my dodge neon it continously vibrates i have taken it in and i am told there is nothing wrong with it but then why is it vibrating it didnt when i first purchased the car.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Melissa

Daytona Beach, FL

#5 Jan 29, 2008
Amanda,
My 2004 Neon is doing the same thing. Did you ever get a solution to the problem? We took mine to Advanced Auto Parts and their computer said that it was the CAM sensor. I was just wondering what happened with yours.
Amanda wrote:
I have a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT. We bought it used in March of 2006 and it currently has around 37,000 miles on it. I mainly drive it in the city and it has not been on any long trips since we bought it. Within the last month, it has occasionally had problems starting up and when it does not start up immediately, it takes about 5 seconds for it to finally start, the check engine light turns on and then it will not go above 2200 RPMs. Once it gets up to around 2200 RPMs, it will not shift, but will start to shake and stutter, but once I let my foot off the gas and it shifts, it drives fine again. On the days when it starts right up, it will not have any problems driving, but the check engine light will remain on and once I drive it for too long, it starts to have problems over 2200 RPMs. If anyone can give any thoughts as to what this might be, it would be extremely appreciated.
Pam

Atlanta, GA

#6 Jan 23, 2009
I have a 2004 Dodge Neon and when i accelerate it starts jerking and when i ease on the break it goes away. My father told me it was probably the fuel filter but i went to autozone and they told me that i don't have a fuel filter that it was built in with the fuel pump so i don't know what to do!! Plz help!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Paul

United States

#7 Mar 26, 2009
im having tha same problem, whats tha fix???
theron

Boise, ID

#8 Apr 7, 2009
try replacing the cam shaft sensor there not that expensive and it a usual thing fotr them to go out
Paul

United States

#9 Apr 10, 2009
i did and im still having same problem also replaced coil pack,wires and spark plugs, and checked the cam sensor wires for cracks or breaks and to make sure they where getting enough power, still not fixed tho
Alfy

United States

#10 Apr 13, 2009
i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt runs really great has 59k miles bought it used a week ago but know whenever i stop at a stop light or sign and i stop for 5 seconds my car will start to shake then i give it gas and its all good but doest do it really bad
Mandi

United States

#11 Jul 4, 2009
I have a 2004 neon sxt and have had the same problem as everyone here. I had the cam sensor replaced and that took care of the not going about 2000 rpms and the shaking. My car does vibrate. I don't think that will ever go away. But My engine light keeps coming on and goes away. I have had everything done: transmission fluid, new spark plugs and wires, engine coolant...EVERYTHING. When I take it to Autozone it is always the same codes of maybe my gas cap. Got a new one and I don't think it's it. I dunno what to do anymore. I can't keep spending money to fix a car and the problem never gets solved.
Chyanne

Chesterton, IN

#12 Jul 6, 2009
I have a 2004 dodge neon sxt. I just got my brakes done in January and they still squeek really bad. I took it in and they say that its normal, which I do not believe because i listen to other dodge neons when they stop and they dont do it. Also when i drive on the highway and get to about 60 i car starts shaking very bad. My car makes a ticking noise from under the hood and a noise from the passenger side under the hood, its kinda a hissing squeaking noise. It used to only do it when i excelerated but it always does it now. Any suggestions?
Tim

Sparta, TN

#13 Aug 30, 2009
I'm having a similar prob with my 2004 neon sxt. When I crank it I have to give it gas like and old carb vehicle. once it starts its usually alright, but sometimes I have to continue to give it gas for several minutes before it will idle without dieing. There is no check engine light on so I don't have a code. I will probably go ahead and change the cam sensor that everyone is talking about if its not that much.
Chyanne, I'm not a mechanic by any means, but brakes have to be broken in, or they will crystalize and squeak. Its not really a problem but yes it is annoying. The only way I know of to fix this for sure is new brake pads. The shaking could mean you need to have your tires balanced, or replaced. As long as the ticking isn't very loud I wouldn't worry about it, it's probably your lifters. Is it worse when the car is cold? Maybe fuel treatment or some slick 50 in the oil. The only thing I can think of that is "hissing and squeaking" is your serpintine belt and that would also be worse when you rev the engine or accelerate. Try reving in neutral and see if it still happens. Its not very expensive to replace, but if your looking for a temporary solution you could try spraying belt dressing on it.
Colby

Liberty, MO

#14 Sep 24, 2009
I had this problem when my car first started.
It was the spark plugs and wires.

Which basically means get a tune-up
Paul

United States

#15 Sep 25, 2009
i did that too, but my service engine light is still on, cam sensor 1 intermittent is tha code. been to tha dodge dealership, and went to a friend that is very good on new cars and has a 8000 snap on computer, and both said tha same thing, still not fixed
Mando

Atascadero, CA

#16 Sep 26, 2009
theron wrote:
try replacing the cam shaft sensor there not that expensive and it a usual thing fotr them to go out
we had this problem and the cam sensor fixed it
Denisse

Kingston, PA

#17 Sep 27, 2009
I am having the same problem, I think this is a serious problem with the 04 sxt and Dodge needs to address it. My warrenty just ran out. I tried to replace the Cam Sensor which is the code my car is saying and it's still happening. I will try the crank sensor, but someone said they tried that also and it didn't work. I don't need a tune up, my car is taken very good care of.
Paul

United States

#18 Sep 28, 2009
i.ve done bout cam and crank sersor, also tune up, still tha same
Donna

Hattiesburg, MS

#19 Sep 30, 2009
I had the same problem... check engine light came on, took my car to autozone and it was for the cam sensor. The part was only about $30 and we replaced it, but the next day I noticed an oil spot under my car, took it to the repair show, and it was an oil leak by the head gausket. The oil had gotten on the spark plugs and wires. My car has been very well taken care of and after I got all of that fixed it still shakes a little so I am thinking this is just something that is supposed to happen with the 2004 dodge neon sxt's.... :(
Bridget

Dublin, CA

#20 Oct 28, 2009
I have replaced the cam shaft sensor on my 2004 Dodge Neon twice. At 58,000 miles I had to have the engine replace due to a "piston slap", that's what they called it. I have also had to replace the fuel pump, and as of today, it'll make twice that I have replace the fuel pump. These cars seem to be crappy, but unfortunately I can't afford car payments. Oh did I mention, I am the only owner of this car and it has been very well taken car of.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
alternator fuse (Oct '11) Jul 20 Wally 9
dodge neon 02 suddenly won't start (Jul '06) Jul 19 Jesse 263
2000 Dodge Neon - No Start, No Sound, Not Battery (Jun '11) Jul 18 lionel 30
2003 Neon, no power to anything w/New Battery. Jul 17 Gonzales_27 4
05 neon Jul 16 Billypug68 1
04 neon Jul 13 Gasdon 1
neon engine swap (Dec '06) Jul 11 Ricky Bobby 123
More from around the web