02 Dodge Neon hard start boggs out wh...

02 Dodge Neon hard start boggs out when gas pedal pressed

Posted in the Dodge Neon Forum

Fixitcomputerz

Milford, MI

#1 Jun 26, 2010
I have an 02 Dodge Neon that just recently out of nowhere started giving me problems. was driving and all of a sudden, when the gas was pressed it would bog out and stall. once running, if i baby the gas, i can get it to go thru the gears if i manually shift the auto tranny but if i floor the gas it bogs out and dies. i've been told MANY different causes. i'm getting good spark, new spark plugs, new wires, replaced the MAP sensor, the TPS, the O2 sensor, i've run out of options. now i'm being told its the timing although when i can get the car started, it idols perfectly fine til i give it gas then it bogs down. i've checked the fuel, fuel rail and pressure. check engine code is P0171 saying the o2 sensor is detecting vehicle running lean. if you need anymore info, please ask. thx
iowa neon ownr

Kendallville, IN

#2 Jul 12, 2010
I just bought a car doing the excact same thing and i need help i replaced some of the same stuff i was wondering if the car u have has been rolled somebody help pleeezzz
hellcat1988

United States

#3 Jul 14, 2010
Sounds to me like you've run into the same problem that the first gen neons get sometimes... It's most likely the cam shaft position sensor. If you have the gumption to do it yourself, you should be able to get one from a parts store pretty cheap and replace it yourself. You can get one from orilie's for close to $24. You'll more then likely need the one that includes the new wire end if it's never been replaced on your car. Even with needing the wire end replaced it shouldn't take you more then about an hour. It's 4 bolts holding the sensor on and an rcod (red clip of death) locking the wires to the sensor. If you don't feel confidant in doing it then a local shade tree mechanic or a kid who knows how to wire in stereos should be able to do it for you for cheap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 dodge neon grinding noise from engine (Feb '10) Aug 13 Neonboy 10
05 neon Aug 9 dianna 2
Neon dies out of nowhere (Jul '08) Aug 8 Jason 41
My neon starts when it wants Aug 1 Keyes91 1
2000 Dodge Neon - No Start, No Sound, Not Battery (Jun '11) Jul 31 Dave 31
Broken Timing Belt - replaced but still won't run (Apr '12) Jul 27 Weeks1995 13
alternator fuse (Oct '11) Jul 25 Mikachu 10
More from around the web