2000 Dodge Neon - No Start, No Sound,...

2000 Dodge Neon - No Start, No Sound, Not Battery

Posted in the Dodge Neon Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
nashida

San Francisco, CA

#1 Jun 27, 2011
My car will not start. It will not turn over and makes no sound at all. Replaced battery, replaced fuses, replaced battery cables. And still will not start. No lights come on and no jump will take. No warning before it dies. It will drive fine then when oyou stop and try to restart it will not. At first after some work or time it would start for no apparant reason. Now nothing. Please Help! What can this be?!

Thanks Everyone :)
hellcat1988

Mahnomen, MN

#2 Jun 27, 2011
Check your grounding wires, the main power wire from the battery to the fuse block, and main wire from the alternator to the starter. Those are the two most likely causes if the battery has been replaced and the terminals aren't corroded.
Donnell

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Dec 10, 2011
My 2001 Neon will not start? I went out on a cold morning to warm the car up and when I returned it was off and will not restart...... that was last winter, it hasn't been started since

1. changed spark plugs and wires still no start.

2. after a friend put it on a hand held machine that said "bad cam shaft senor....I changed the cam shaft sensor still no start.

3. I was told that maybe your plugs were not getting a spark.... so I changed the ignition coil and once again no start.

Sombody Help!
hellcat1988

Mahnomen, MN

#4 Dec 10, 2011
ok your trouble shooting steps have been a bit off key but maybe we can sort it out. First off, you need to make sure that all the fuses and relays are in good working order. IF you are sure they are, pick yourself up a test light. You can get them almost anywhere. Just make sure that it's for automotive work and that it's a 12v test light. You may need to talk to a clerk to get it. Pull the ignition coil plug off and stick the needle end of the tester against the main power wire for the coil. It will be 12v so you don't have to worry. Make sure that you have a good ground on the alligator clamp on the other end. It's best to connect it to the battery negative if the cord is long enough, or a good clean piece of metal that is grounded. Make sure you have a good ground by touching the needle end to the positive of the battery. Once you know it's good, turn on the ignition, but don't try to turn the motor over. Test all of the wires in the coil plug (the side with the wires) and make sure that you have power to at least one of them. The test light will light up when you do. If you have power there, test to see if you have power to the back of the alternator. It's the same process, but you need to make sure to test the large wire on the stud on the back of the alternator. If you have power there, then you have a good ignition circuit. DO NOT test the plug wires with a test light as there is more then enough voltage to blow the test light. There is a special tool for testing to see if a plug wire is getting voltage. If none of those work, or if you do find a fault, please post on here again and let me know.
john

Cambridge, MA

#5 Jan 14, 2012
why does my dodge neon idle so high like the engine is racing and pulsing HELP!!!!
danil

United States

#6 Feb 2, 2012
I have a dodge neon I got off work one day and then cut off the fuse blew and I repleced it but then I turned every thong turned on but then when I turned it to turn on bit clicks but the nothing
keith

Buda, TX

#7 Feb 17, 2012
my dodge neon will not start. It is not the battery. All the lights and radio work but it will not start
chase

Sugar Land, TX

#8 Jul 31, 2012
i have the same problem all year long.. at first i installed a cheap push button start directly to the starter it worked great for a while. then same thing. THE REAL PROBLEM IS THE WIRES CONNECTOR HEAD to the starter. its like a clip that plugs into the starter. replaced it with a new smaller terminal that i crimped to the wire like u would for speakers so it would just always be permantely connected. problem solved fired up everytime. BUT..... for some reason if i drive for like an hour and its really hot outside ill have the same issue.. itll start the next day. im thinking its dodges cheap wiring that cant handle it and shorts out when overheated. hope this helps
chase

Sugar Land, TX

#9 Jul 31, 2012
john wrote:
why does my dodge neon idle so high like the engine is racing and pulsing HELP!!!!
its the computer. could be overheating cuz theyr so cheap OR oil can LEAK and travel through the wiring into the plugs of the computer. pretty common
chase

Sugar Land, TX

#10 Jul 31, 2012
look into the clip piece the connects to the starter. mine was bad. fixed
clara

Rockford, IL

#11 Oct 6, 2012
I have a 2000 dodge neon. It won't start when it is cold outside but it will start when it is warm outside. I have replaced coil, spark plugs, sensors and alternator and it still does this. does anyone know what could be making it do this?
Amber

Gorham, ME

#12 Jul 2, 2014
My 2000 Dodge neon will not stay running. Battery is new, alternator tested fine. Used to be able to boost pack it to start it, did that for a few months, now even with a brand new boost pack and other vehicles it will jump and shut off again. Tightened wires that connect from the battery to the alternator, nothing. I am so defeated with this car. Garage wants almost 100 an hour to "diagnosis" this and I have had multiple people look and mess around with it for hours on end, and do not have this kind of money. Car just boosted with a pack and stayed running for about 15 mins before dieing after we played around with tightening wires, but now is screaming hot and smells like burning wires. Any thoughts?
Jaebrown23

Mountain View, CA

#13 Aug 25, 2015
I have a problem I can't figure out I don't know what happen my car was running fine until one day it just wouldn't turn on until I jump start then I have to do it again once I turn it off so I did it for two days all of a sudden it won't start we checked the wires to the starter n it started until where the plug in for a diagnosed I saw it hanging out and I just touched it car completely shut off no sound no start so I'm trying to get a clear response maybe my wires are messed up?I really need help.
Williamwilliams

Chico, CA

#14 Mar 17, 2016
I changed the battery terminals and put a new battery in my 2000 Dodge Neon es and now the car will not start it will not turn over as acting like there's no power to the starter what could this be
Everett payne

Sikeston, MO

#15 Mar 27, 2016
Every thing come will start but have to put a nother guess in
Everett payne

Sikeston, MO

#16 Mar 27, 2016
Williamwilliams wrote:
I changed the battery terminals and put a new battery in my 2000 Dodge Neon es and now the car will not start it will not turn over as acting like there's no power to the starter what could this be
Car was runing fine batt went bad put new batt in car now won't stay runing
Everett payne

Sikeston, MO

#17 Mar 27, 2016
Everett payne wrote:
<quoted text>
Car was runing fine batt went bad put new batt in car now won't stay runing
Yes what could b wrong
Tdubs85

Huron, SD

#18 Jun 22, 2016
Donnell wrote:
My 2001 Neon will not start? I went out on a cold morning to warm the car up and when I returned it was off and will not restart...... that was last winter, it hasn't been started since

1. changed spark plugs and wires still no start.

2. after a friend put it on a hand held machine that said "bad cam shaft senor....I changed the cam shaft sensor still no start.

3. I was told that maybe your plugs were not getting a spark.... so I changed the ignition coil and once again no start.

Sombody Help!
It is probably your crank position sensor
Trish

Garland, TX

#19 Jul 25, 2016
I have a 2002 dodge neon won't start stopped somewhere turned it off went back to leave won't start put new battery connectors and. Cable on battery took starter out had it tested passed four times replaced starter relay and automatic shut down relay still won't start just makes a clicking noise
demon66

Antioch, TN

#20 Aug 9, 2016
This would be so much easier to read if the damn ads weren't popping up in the way!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
00 Plymouth Neon Turns over but no spark (Feb '11) Nov 17 Jeff 13
dodge neon 02 suddenly won't start (Jul '06) Nov 16 RJR 265
2004 Dodge Neon SXT Problems (Sep '07) Nov 16 RJR 343
Swapping 02 and 04 neon parts Nov 11 Boochie 1
2003 neon shaking after changing both right mot... (Mar '12) Nov 10 Kemen 60
98 dodge neon fuel pump fuse/wiring (Aug '09) Nov 7 Scott 18
02 neon vibration under acceleration (Jul '07) Nov 6 crabb336 90
More from around the web