99 Neon died and won't start

99 Neon died and won't start

Posted in the Dodge Neon Forum

Since: Apr 09

New London, WI

#1 Apr 30, 2009
My fiance was driving my neon and he said it made a odd noise, the oil light came on and then it died 2 seconds later. He checked the oil and it was fine but it wont start. It will rotate and sound like it is going to start but it won't turn over. I cleaned all the gound wires and got it to turn over once but still not start then I checked all the spark plugs and wires and now it wont even rotate. It just clicks once. All the lights come on and I hear the fuel injector going when I turn the key but the darn thing won't start. Any Suggestions??

Twin Valley, MN

#2 May 1, 2009
My suggestions would be to check the wires from your alternator and the wires that come close to the exhaust and passenger side c.v. shaft. the neon has a bad habit of damaging those wires if they come loose at all. As far as the starting problem, I posted a "rebuild your starter" post a few months back. With yours it's probably that the brushes have worn out and need to be replaced which can only be done by the factory or by a D.I.Y person who's willing to give it a go, or to buy a different/new starter. Little something to try first. Give it a few good whacks on the larger tube part of the starter. I know it sounds luni, but it actually CAN get the starter to turn over if it's just jammed or there's something stuck in it. That can happen on chrystler starters.

If need be, I have a spare starter from when I did my engine swap that I could sell you if you can't find one for under $40 where you live. If you need it I'd be happy to send it off for $30 plus shipping.

Twin Valley, MN

#3 May 1, 2009
PS. The few good whacks should be done with a normal house hammer. Anything less probably won't do much and anything more will probably smash it. Be careful of the electrical bits at the back of the starter as well.
heather and sam

Tampa, FL

#4 Dec 2, 2012
i had this same problem it turned out to be the crank sensor you should probably get chec that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Neon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1998 Dodge Neon (Jan '06) 5 hr TSanders 201
2005 Dodge neon sxt will not start. Lights and ... (Aug '09) Nov 23 joel 172
97 Neon wont start.. (Apr '09) Nov 21 lita 21
2004 Dodge Neon SXT Problems (Sep '07) Nov 21 Nathan 308
2003 neon shaking after changing both right mot... (Mar '12) Nov 13 Chris 49
dodge neon 02 suddenly won't start (Jul '06) Nov 12 becca 248
2001 Dodge Neon will turn over but won't start. Nov 11 Julz 2
More from around the web