2001 doge intrepid transmission trouble

Posted in the Dodge Intrepid Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rickcup1

Lexington, TN

#1 Aug 26, 2007
Why would the transmission stay in low gear.I have put new input and output sensors in. Runs fine in low gear and reverse is ok. But will not shift up into 2 or drive.
maryann

AOL

#2 Nov 10, 2007
why dose not shift it say low gear r pms gose high way
maryann

AOL

#3 Nov 10, 2007
why would the transmisson stay in low gear.it runs fine when is cold the transmission but when it gets hot it just stay low gear olny what can it be and the light engine stay on when only is in low gear
maryann

AOL

#4 Nov 10, 2007
maryann wrote:
why would the transmisson stay in low gear.it runs fine when is cold the transmission but when it gets hot it just stay low gear olny what can it be and the light engine stay on when only is in low gear
please answer my question mr. what can it be
2001 intrepid

London, Canada

#5 Jan 17, 2008
2001 intrepid tranny just stopped work i can shift it to drive or revese and it wont move
tina

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#6 Aug 14, 2008
it is your transmission control module that needs to be replaced
Khan

Nassau, Bahamas

#7 Nov 11, 2008
okay my car wont shift so easily the gear stick is hard to move into another gear.... i can put the car into drive and every other gear except park and its really inconvinient i have to leave my car in neutral so wat am i supposed to do?
hogansheroes

Garland, TX

#8 Dec 4, 2008
2001 intrepid wrote:
2001 intrepid tranny just stopped work i can shift it to drive or revese and it wont move
I realize this is sometime later, but my 2002 just did the same. They said it tore up everything inside, to the tune of about 2 grand to fix it.
will

Fulton, NY

#9 Jun 14, 2010
1998 intrepid, bought it last night, looked it over very well, car seemed great, and i mean great, test drove it, and great, get half way home with it and the radeator starts leaking and the spedo goes out, check eng. light comes on and it won't shirt out of 2nd gear, eng. light is off now, but it won't shift out of 2nd
Rachael

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jul 24, 2010
My 1994 dodge had the same problem. First I had the solenoid Pack replaced,that cost $550.00, mind you they only charged me two hours labor, some shops may charge a bit more. After that, nothing changed. The RPM's still surged while the car was driving at a steady 60mph randomly or anytime I took off from a fresh start or it just wouldn't shift down into lower gear while I sped up. But when other people drove it they said it drove just fine. It took me using my cell phone and taking video of the speedometer while I was driving to show the mechanic for them to finally "get it". Immediately they knew what the problem was. They fixed the Throttle position sensor module and it runs perfectly. They said both things needed done, they did not charge me anything for the second repair. Hope this helps somebody else out there. Good luck.
Alex Orloff

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 Aug 10, 2010
work hard, save n get rid of this "good looking" cars

or: keep it if you have extra budget/help..they are the best all around..when they work, like a Ford Edsell
Pine Ridge, SD

#12 Aug 31, 2010
My 2001 Dodge Intrepid goes into reverse & nuetral but wen i put it in drive the whole car shuts off. what cud b causing this?
PACMAN

Huntington Station, NY

#13 Sep 27, 2010
Seems like a common problem. Already spent $$ over the last 2 years. POS
dws1130

Cadillac, MI

#14 Jul 18, 2011
my daughters car istuck in neutural, it starts , cant shift any other postion, what to do
Cindy

Edmonton, Canada

#15 Jul 22, 2011
OK LISTEN UP EVERYONE!!!

If your Intrepid won`t get out of 1st gear or past second and your engine light comes on and stays on we know what it is ...

We did so much research and this is what we found ... afterall, we fixed it and it works AMAZING!!!

FIRST OF ALL, GO TO THE NEAREST PICK N`PULL ...(Where you pull your own used parts from vehicles in the lot)... AND ...

TAKE OUT A PART CALLED "TCM" Transmission Control Modual!(The higher the last two letters are in the code the better and newer the TCM is - AF or AG ... or even AK) Then get your intrepid down to the Dealership. Remove the old TCM yourself from your intrepid and install the new - used one! Then, get the electrical mechanic to re-program it for you!

Replace your cam sensor too while you`re at it ... worth it in the end!!

The entire cost should be around $400.00 Total!

WE DID THIS AND NOW OUR INTREPID RUNS PERFECTLY!!! It only works on the Intrepids with a 2.7L Engine!

GOOD LUCK ... TRY THIS ... IT WORKS!!!!
tamika dixon

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Aug 10, 2011
my 2001 intrepid wont hold tranny fluid. when i put it in over night it all leaks out. is this something major or can it be fixed at home?
rugdav001

Huron, SD

#17 Sep 17, 2011
tamika dixon wrote:
my 2001 intrepid wont hold tranny fluid. when i put it in over night it all leaks out. is this something major or can it be fixed at home?
I know this can be a pain, but you need to see where it is leaking from. Had an Intrepid that had an external filter, so you have to check any lines from the transmission, the filter if external, the pan seal itself, etc. If it is the pan leaking, either from getting hit and twisted a little, or bad gasket, etc. you may not have it dump fluid right away. I have a Windstar doing that right now, when the fluid makes it way back to the pan after sitting for a day or two, then it dumps on the ground because the pan has a slight twist on the front lip. If you have any ?'s feel free to email me at my addy. [email protected]
shaleon

Austin, TX

#18 Oct 29, 2011
Is there a way to get it out of park,to get it to the dealership?
Ricky

Germantown, MD

#19 Feb 17, 2012
rickcup1 wrote:
Why would the transmission stay in low gear.I have put new input and output sensors in. Runs fine in low gear and reverse is ok. But will not shift up into 2 or drive.
Bad torque converter!
jose garriga

United States

#20 Mar 19, 2012
I have a dodge 2001 intrepid n had a car accident n have to replace everything in the transmission control the car runs great but the check egine light goes on n said transmission control but everything was replace n runs great so what could it be if everything was replaced

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Intrepid Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My key is stuck in the ignition (Dec '06) Jun 21 Edd 121
Dodge Intrepid Transmission Problems (May '09) Jun 3 JMO 190
1996 dodge interiped May '16 Deola salazar 1
97 dodge intrepid turn signal problems (May '07) Mar '16 Adam 17
transmission Feb '16 terry skaggs 1
check engine light (Feb '06) Dec '15 Gsmack 54
97 3.5 liter engine overheating (Sep '06) Nov '15 todd in meadow va... 40
More from around the web