2005 Dodge Durango Chronic Overheating

Posted in the Dodge Durango Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
TEM

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Aug 25, 2011
I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that seems to still have an overheating problem even having flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat, radiator cap, fan clutch, water pump, and head gasket. With all of the complaints of this nature it would seem there would have been some legal action against Dodge. Right now after the vehicle has been driven and then off for 30 minutes the temperature gauge never goes below midway between 1/2 and 3/4.

2005 Dodge Durango 4X4 V8 4.7
Mileage 141074
Dodge Man

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 17, 2011
TEM wrote:
I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that seems to still have an overheating problem even having flushed the radiator, changed the thermostat, radiator cap, fan clutch, water pump, and head gasket. With all of the complaints of this nature it would seem there would have been some legal action against Dodge. Right now after the vehicle has been driven and then off for 30 minutes the temperature gauge never goes below midway between 1/2 and 3/4.
Mileage 141074
Is the engine really overheating? I didn't understand the last sentence you wrote regarding the temp gauge. Sounds like you may have a malfunctioning gauge or sending unit. Use a hand held laser temperature reader or take it to a mechanic and have them shoot the radiator with this gadget. If the radiator reads operating temp and stays there, one of these two items is the problem.

Why did you replace all these parts? Probably a good thing given the number of miles on the vehicle, but probably unnecessary. Things will go bad on vehicles with the miles you have and the age. Do you want Chrysler to be responsible for your vehicle for life? That seems to be the idea I get from almost any post I have read here.
constitutionalis t

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 13, 2011
TEM wrote:

Mileage 141074
Gee 141074 miles on the clock and you want legal action against Chrysler. WOW! You expect these vehicles to go on forever without giving you a problem? Give me a break! There is a reason for malfunctions. They can all be fixed. How much money do you have? If you don't want problems, buy a new vehicle with a warranty and relax!
dodgegal

Elizabethton, TN

#4 Feb 23, 2012
I first want to say I love my dodge Durango. I too seem to have developed an overheating problem. I have replaced the water pump, as I was told this was the problem twice in 2 yrs and now this last time about 4 months ago. I no longer think it is the water pump yet noone can give me any concrete info either. Any ideas? I have the maintance done on it like clock work and have put almost 90,000 highway miles on it since first buying it with 11,000 miles in June of 2006. thanks
2001 dodge durango

White Bluff, TN

#5 May 12, 2012
thinking of buying one for 1500 cash it does read on temp gauge that is hotand overflows out antifreeze any suggestions
2005 dodge durango

Fernley, NV

#6 May 18, 2012
I have to say I have a 2005 Dodge Durango and I love it as well, I have 140,000 on it and will pay to fix whatever is wrong with it, its been a great SUV for me and my kids. I too have a overheating problem. However it only over heats when its 70degrees or above out and if I turn on my heat (on high) the temp gauge goes right back down to where its suppose to be. I can't seem to find anyone who can give me a concrete answer to what is wrong either. It runs great otherwise. I change the parts as needed and I have had it into a garage 3x first was told a water pump. changed it...then a thermostat, changed it, now I am being told its a head gasket anyone know what could be the problem?
spiker

Akron, OH

#7 Jun 3, 2012
2005 dodge durango wrote:
I have to say I have a 2005 Dodge Durango and I love it as well, I have 140,000 on it and will pay to fix whatever is wrong with it, its been a great SUV for me and my kids. I too have a overheating problem. However it only over heats when its 70degrees or above out and if I turn on my heat (on high) the temp gauge goes right back down to where its suppose to be. I can't seem to find anyone who can give me a concrete answer to what is wrong either. It runs great otherwise. I change the parts as needed and I have had it into a garage 3x first was told a water pump. changed it...then a thermostat, changed it, now I am being told its a head gasket anyone know what could be the problem?
I also have 2005 dodge durango and only overheats when temps are 70 and above. I replaced the egr valve because i thought that might be the problem and engine light was on. It turned off engine light but stil have overheating problem? if you find out anything please let me know because its driving me nuts and dont want to waste money on something thats not broken ?
spiker

Akron, OH

#8 Jun 3, 2012
constitutionalist wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee 141074 miles on the clock and you want legal action against Chrysler. WOW! You expect these vehicles to go on forever without giving you a problem? Give me a break! There is a reason for malfunctions. They can all be fixed. How much money do you have? If you don't want problems, buy a new vehicle with a warranty and relax!
we are just looking for an answer and do not expect chrysler to give anything at high mileage?? we are just looking for answers and if your not going to help then dont be a smart ass and stay away
NC Jeff

High Point, NC

#9 Jun 9, 2012
I have a 2005 Durango, 5.7 hemi and an overheating problem. Nice vehicle but I can't drive it around the block without it overheating. I can start it up let it idle for hours and the temp gauge stays below the half mark. Once I drop it in gear the temp begins to climb. Radiator has been flushed, thermostat removed and it still overheats and seems to be getting worse.
Help!!
Dave _Colorado

United States

#10 Jun 14, 2012
I have same issue on my 2005 5.7L Durango. Replaced water pump, thermostat and fan clutch, also flushed radiator. If I drive over 15 minutes or so without the heater on full blast it climbs to the redline. Not bad in the winter but it's a real pain in the summer. I see no coolant or cloudiness in the oil and wonder what the issue is. I will check radiator with a heat sensor but short of that I am out of answers.
SMartinez

Fresno, CA

#11 Jul 15, 2012
we ran into the same issue with our 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi overheating big time!! its hot where we live 105 or so so AC is important we turned it off still has a problem, just replaced thermostat, fan clutch, water pump, radiator cap, did a flush, still over heating so we did the radiator new coolant and hoses no more over heating but now its still not running right. it sounds like the idle is off or air escaping runs but really loud, with a bit of power loss any idea? I was told it sounds like a hose or valve is not on right but were at a loss as to where to start. for those of you who own them this is my only way to explain the sound or how its running(when youve been running your car in park with ac on and its heated up not hot then you drive off the car loses power and has the loud roar then within time it cools down and sound goes away and runs right) but in this case my car isnt sounding better when you start it it roars real loud
Reacho

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Aug 2, 2012
2005 Durango 4.7 eng. Temp needle only starts to climb when sitting and idling, not so when driving around. Any ideas?
Reacho

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Aug 2, 2012
2005 Durango 4.7 liter temp needle climbs when idling, but OK when diving. Any help?
tacomanmp

Boise, ID

#14 Aug 12, 2012
2003 dodge ram 1500 new radiator,overflow,thermostat and fan clutch. Still overheats at idling after 15 to 20 minutes.gauge reads between half and 3/4. Truck has never ran over 1/2 way in 9 years.Once I get back up to speed for 5 to 10 minutes temp starts coming down so I assume guage and sending sensor is working.Not leaking fluid. Read that fins in the pump can wear down.Would that cause it to heat up just when idling. Thinking bout changing out water pump both hoses and antifreeze. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
UnhappywithChrys ler

Seattle, WA

#15 Aug 14, 2012
constitutionalist wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you have no idea the frustrations I and everyone else not only on this site but everywhere that owns a 2004-2005 Dodge Durango. Know the facts and chill out. No, we don't expect a car to live forever, but when your durango only has less than 90k miles on it, I expect is to go a lot longer. Last summer it was overheating bad, and Dodge replaced the radiator, belts, hoses, water pump and thermostat. It fixed and I was happy I got my car back. I maintain its regular 3 month tuneup and oil change religiously. This summer I was very disappointed when the overheating started again. I took it back to Dodge and their telling me I need a new motor. Dodge/Chrysler is being a rip-off now. I never once abused this car since the day I bought it 4 days ago. The body and interior is so clean it look like I drove straight off the dealership lot. With so many people filing the same claim everywhere on the net, I sure hope an attorney gets involved in filing a class action suit against Dodge for a recall on a faulty mechanic on the cooling system
Eric Felt

United States

#16 Dec 8, 2012
I own a 2004 durango 4.7l. I have had all of the overheating problems mentioned previously and replaced fan clutch and idler pulley. That was nice and pleasant experience when the pulley went out and threw the belt. No power steering at 70 miles an hour. Did I mention all of this happened within a two month period at 110,000 miles. My overheating problem is still not fixed and now have multiple leaks in my radiator. We have a Chevy Suburban with 234,000 miles and have not had any problems with it. Will never buy a dodge again.
Magnum22

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Jan 11, 2013
@constitutionalist......

Get a damn life..... People come here to get help not to hear diarrhea out the mouth so really just sit back and shut the f$&k up . It's people like you the give bad names to what ever race you are . HELP dude not whatever it is you think your post did .

!!!!!!!!!!
Dred918

Bessemer, AL

#18 Feb 9, 2013
Found this on Youtube for a 2004 Dodge Durango overheating.
&fe ature=player_detailpage
Dred918

Bessemer, AL

#19 Feb 9, 2013
Another option from a Fixa post by:

"if this is a 4.7l engine, the valve is on the left rear of the intake. loosen the 8mm bolts that hold the egr intake tube to the egr valve, remove the egr bolts, disconnect wiring, remove valve and tube together, attach intake tube loosely to new valve, install new valve, tighten tube bolts to egr using a swivel socket, this is not a 5 minute job, so dont attempt unless you have some time and patience."
By Author DFARLEY Apr 24, 2009
RobSchramm

Princeton, IL

#20 Feb 21, 2013
Well I want to add something to all these '05 issues. I too have the engine light come on and at max heat and when it does happen the truck blows ice cold air. Even though the engine reads that it is over heating do any of you smell radiator fluid? I do not! Today for the 3rd time it came on, I actually watched the heat go from 1/4 to HIGH in about 3 minutes. I stopped the truck and got out, the first thing I did was smell and nothing. In additional there was no normal sounds associated with over heating. I dont know about any of you but if you have the same symptoms I would start thinking a more simple fix such as a sending unit as I think mine is more electrical. I do not have 140K on my Durango I only have 81K on mine and I baby it but lets face it no matter what it is 8 years old. If Dodge feels that they have an issue that is owed a recall they do it, in fact I just got a recall notice on the fuel tank issue which is going to be fixed for free.
Before you spend 1 penny on another repair make sure the truck is actually overheating as mine, if I shut it off let it sit for 30 seconds and turn it back on, it goes back down QUICKLY. I am thinking electrical, you may too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Durango Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 durango, loud clanking noise in 4x4 drive (Apr '09) 44 min mopar guy 1974 30
Don't have warm air in my heating system? (Jan '07) Jan 15 DougAZ 243
I love my Durango. Jan 11 calvin 1
Dodge Durango Transmission problems?? (Nov '08) Jan 1 Anonymous 429
power seat in full forward position how to make... Jan 1 goodcanoe4u 2
Durango 2001 tail light problem (Nov '06) Dec '17 Cory 15
2006 Dodge Durango Transmission Shutter / Slip ... (Aug '12) Dec '17 Shauna Montoya 29
More from around the web