no heat in rear only cold air blows ...

no heat in rear only cold air blows 2003 durango

Posted in the Dodge Durango Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rick

United States

#1 Nov 24, 2008
can any one tell me what is wrong
tammy

Charlotte, NC

#2 Dec 11, 2008
Did you ever find out what was wrong. I am having the same problem. Can you help me?
Tony in Dallas

Dallas, TX

#3 Dec 14, 2008
Same problem ... except 2002 Durango.
Mary

Atlanta, GA

#4 Dec 23, 2008
Same problem...took my 2003 to the dealership who "looked up the problem" and told me that heat does not blow out of the upper panel vents - only the floor vents. I beg to differ, because the heat has blown out of the top panel vents for the 4 1/2 years that I've owned it, but I'm not the expert!
Joe

York, NE

#5 Dec 24, 2008
I am having same problem. Has anyone got a fix yet?
BigBark

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 29, 2008
I had this same issue on my 2001 -- Ironically, I worked on it yesterday!

I pulled the right-rear inner panel off (next to the third-row seat) and under it was the rear heater/A/C unit. THere are two electric actuators, one that rotates the door that switches between the upper vents and the floor vent. This one worked fine.

THe other one, however, is the one that actuates between the rear heater core and the rear A/C evaporator core. THe actuator connects to a white 'dowel', which then protrudes into the ductwork to connect to the blend door.
THe dowel has a 'tang' protrusion on it. This 'tang' moves between two stops that are cast into the plastic cover. This prevents over-rotation of the actuator and door, since the door only needs to rotate about 60 or so degrees to switch between full heat and full cool.

My issue, and I suspect it is your issue as well, was obvious as soon as I looked at the dowel. The 'tang' was broken off, and the actuator over-rotated. When I opened the duct casing, I also found that when the door hit it's stops, the dowel cracked the door connection point due to the stress of overrotation.

The correct fix would be a new door and new dowel. However, since my truck was in pieces and I'm guessing it'll be weeks before a dealer can get me those parts, I was able to 'cob' it back together by fashoning a new 'tang' on the dowel, and by using epoxy to put the door connection back together. It won't last forever, but it will hopefully last until spring when it's warmer here in NY, and I have the parts.

Research on the web has revealed others have had this same issue, which is why I suspect you do too. Sorry for the long winded message, hopefully this helps a bit!
LINDA

Charlotte, NC

#7 Dec 16, 2009
Does heat blow out of top vents in 2003 dodge durango
Kevin

White Plains, KY

#8 Jan 6, 2010
Mary wrote:
Same problem...took my 2003 to the dealership who "looked up the problem" and told me that heat does not blow out of the upper panel vents - only the floor vents. I beg to differ, because the heat has blown out of the top panel vents for the 4 1/2 years that I've owned it, but I'm not the expert!
Read that dampner for the rear has an arm that breaks, but don't know if you can buy a new one.
Rich NH

Windham, NH

#9 Jun 8, 2010
My 2003 Durango problem (no heat in rear) A/C works in back but not heat....I have also replaced the front blower and resistor 2X because the connector melts. Dodge should fix this problem. I don't think I will be buying another one
Cecil

North Platte, NE

#10 Nov 17, 2010
BigBark wrote:
I had this same issue on my 2001 -- Ironically, I worked on it yesterday!
I pulled the right-rear inner panel off (next to the third-row seat) and under it was the rear heater/A/C unit. THere are two electric actuators, one that rotates the door that switches between the upper vents and the floor vent. This one worked fine.
THe other one, however, is the one that actuates between the rear heater core and the rear A/C evaporator core. THe actuator connects to a white 'dowel', which then protrudes into the ductwork to connect to the blend door.
THe dowel has a 'tang' protrusion on it. This 'tang' moves between two stops that are cast into the plastic cover. This prevents over-rotation of the actuator and door, since the door only needs to rotate about 60 or so degrees to switch between full heat and full cool.
My issue, and I suspect it is your issue as well, was obvious as soon as I looked at the dowel. The 'tang' was broken off, and the actuator over-rotated. When I opened the duct casing, I also found that when the door hit it's stops, the dowel cracked the door connection point due to the stress of overrotation.
The correct fix would be a new door and new dowel. However, since my truck was in pieces and I'm guessing it'll be weeks before a dealer can get me those parts, I was able to 'cob' it back together by fashoning a new 'tang' on the dowel, and by using epoxy to put the door connection back together. It won't last forever, but it will hopefully last until spring when it's warmer here in NY, and I have the parts.
Research on the web has revealed others have had this same issue, which is why I suspect you do too. Sorry for the long winded message, hopefully this helps a bit!
I have the same problem but the 2 pipes coming into the unit are cold even though the front is blowing hot air. Is this still related to the flap/dowel/tang thing?
Tim motown ar

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#11 Jan 6, 2011
Cecil wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the same problem but the 2 pipes coming into the unit are cold even though the front is blowing hot air. Is this still related to the flap/dowel/tang thing?
There is an electric pump on the right fender well behind the filter box. Check to see if both lines are hot off of it. pump may be out.
Mark

Macomb, MI

#12 Feb 3, 2011
If there is a coil that heat up and a fan that is working, does it matter if there is an electric pump behind filter box? Will not the functioning coils heat the air and the pipes just be a fresh air supply?
al nh

Hampton, NH

#13 Feb 12, 2011
i have a 03 durango i have to replace the blower motor resiter about once a year they just burn up no one knows why
Durangoasster

Eugene, OR

#14 Jul 6, 2011
Can you tellme wich one of these actuators is the one for the mix and wich one is for floor to over head vents?
Big D

Santa Clara, CA

#15 Aug 12, 2011
Can you tell me wich one of these actuators is the one for the mix and wich one is for floor to over head vents?
The one toward the front of the Vechicle is floor to overhead vents. The actuactor in the rear is the one for mix.
billrpa

Kittanning, PA

#16 Jan 16, 2012
just want to say thanks much for all the people who input on this issue now maybe this girl will date me when i fix hers
Amck44

United States

#17 Oct 14, 2012
I have the same issue no heat out he upper vents I pulled the panel off spent 30 min. Looking all the tangs and dowels they are fine all working properly so i took a drive to get it nice and hot got home went to the rear heater core pipes and one pipe was real hot the other was cold but no hot air out the vent could a plugged line cause this ?
sonniag

United States

#18 Jan 3, 2013
Same problem. 2003 Dodge Durang, front has heat, rear heat will not work :/
Carloss

Naperville, IL

#19 Feb 21, 2013
Have the same issue with a 2001 Durango--no hot air in the back. Any tips or direction on how to pull the RR panel off to check?

Thanks!
jessica

Bellevue, WA

#20 Mar 2, 2013
Yep, i got the same isue with my durango, i checked the fuse box, but looks like alot of people have the same isue. Dang dodge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Durango Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dodge Durango Transmission problems?? (Nov '08) 23 hr Me at Haltom city 379
2000 dodge durango help!!!! (May '07) Aug 26 MillsJ 56
2005 Dodge Durango Chronic Overheating (Aug '11) Aug 26 Darnell 48
2001 dodge durango over heating problem (Jul '07) Aug 26 cisco 348
2001 Durango pushing water out the over flow Aug 21 Scrappy 1
99 durango, dies and wont start, fuel gauge qui... (May '07) Aug 16 Scott99durango 14
1999 Durango stalling (May '07) Aug 12 cole 66
More from around the web