Dodge Durango Transmission problems??

Dodge Durango Transmission problems??

Posted in the Dodge Durango Forum

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Chris

Warren, PA

#1 Nov 26, 2008
Who knows anything about transmissions and sensors for Dodge Durango?
Have a 2005 Dodge Durango with 73,000 miles. Went out to go somewhere the other morning and it wouldn't shift gears from where it was parked. It is an automatic. It was snowing and cold so thought it just needed to warm up. When I went back to out to try it went in reverse then when I put in drive went about 2 feet and then wouldn't go. Sounded like it was in neutral. It will shift into 4wd, Park, and neutral. Went out later that night and it shifted into drive so I could at least pull it up out of the middle of the driveway. Had no problems driving it earlier in the week. Is it possible it is a sensor rather than the whole transmission needing replaced? Clueless....
Joe

United States

#2 Dec 19, 2008
When is the last time you had the transmission filter and fluid changed? supposed to do this every 30,000 or every 2 years depending on what comes first. most likely it is just do for a service. visit a transmission shop and have them service the transmission. should cost around $60-70 and you just need the basic fluid and filter change. Don't let them talk you into more then that such as a "flush".
Lisa

Spotsylvania, VA

#3 Apr 24, 2009
I have a 2006 Dodge Durango with Hemi and it has 92000 miles on it. It has started missing when I get between 30 - 40 mph. Could this have anything to do with the transmission?
alex

Ronkonkoma, NY

#4 Apr 25, 2009
I have the same problem as the '06 durango. My durango is an '01 5.9L with 113,00 on it. It too, has started to stutter at around 30 mph.
dodgefan

Littleton, CO

#5 Jun 3, 2009
Lisa wrote:
I have a 2006 Dodge Durango with Hemi and it has 92000 miles on it. It has started missing when I get between 30 - 40 mph. Could this have anything to do with the transmission?
Have had my 2001 for 5 years mine started doing same thing, replaced the plugs and wires with Bosch Platinum and all was well. Hope this helps
HAMartin

Georgetown, TX

#6 Jun 5, 2009
I am also having the same problem with my 06 Hemi. What is the deal?
melissa

Providence, RI

#7 Jun 24, 2009
what happened? what was wrong with your dodge?
Chris wrote:
Who knows anything about transmissions and sensors for Dodge Durango?
Have a 2005 Dodge Durango with 73,000 miles. Went out to go somewhere the other morning and it wouldn't shift gears from where it was parked. It is an automatic. It was snowing and cold so thought it just needed to warm up. When I went back to out to try it went in reverse then when I put in drive went about 2 feet and then wouldn't go. Sounded like it was in neutral. It will shift into 4wd, Park, and neutral. Went out later that night and it shifted into drive so I could at least pull it up out of the middle of the driveway. Had no problems driving it earlier in the week. Is it possible it is a sensor rather than the whole transmission needing replaced? Clueless....
Chris

United States

#8 Jun 25, 2009
I have a 2006 Durgano Limited with Hemi... I am having a similar issue, last week, I felt the transmission slip.. But it also makes a "griding" sound.. Only in intervals, I took it to the shop, they said it may be a piece of plastic in the exhuast system.. I still think it is tied to the tranmission.. Confused..
Judy

Germantown, TN

#9 Jun 28, 2009
My 2005 Dodge Durango with 43,000 miles was running great when the engine light went on. I took it to the Dodge dealer and they said it was emissions and why not get a tune up also? I said OK. Driving home is when the trouble started. My Dodge jerks like it is missing. Occassionally it will stall out. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, and they can't fix it? Any ideas what is wrong?
Keith

Huntington, NY

#10 Jul 3, 2009
Judy wrote:
My 2005 Dodge Durango with 43,000 miles was running great when the engine light went on. I took it to the Dodge dealer and they said it was emissions and why not get a tune up also? I said OK. Driving home is when the trouble started. My Dodge jerks like it is missing. Occassionally it will stall out. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, and they can't fix it? Any ideas what is wrong?
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2006 with 63,000 miles. The dealer told me the exact same things. I'm going to get a tune up and hope it takes care of things - their suggestion.
Jacob

United States

#11 Jul 13, 2009
My 05 Durango wont go into gear anymore its like its stuck in neutral the truck rolls backwards in all gears but park
Ken

United States

#12 Aug 6, 2009
I have a 2006 Duurango with an automatic transmission and ~30,000 miles (warranty is up). I have problems with it not wanting to shift out of first gear. It has happened on warm days with AC running and typically on inclines (albeit slight). If I park it and let it cool down it works fine. Any suggestions?
joan

Maple Shade, NJ

#13 Aug 11, 2009
I have 2001 dodge durango that wont shift out of first gear any suggestions
Brad

Lutz, FL

#14 Aug 12, 2009
I have 2006 Dodge Durango Hemi. After getting to speed (40-60) and then trying to accelerate it seems to buck/sputter almost like a misfire. Dealer cant find anything wrong. Thought is was transmission troque converted. No change. Any ideas???
RVING

Matthews, NC

#15 Aug 16, 2009
My 05 Durango 5.7 HEMI 4X4 just started this today, Have you had any luck with it?
It's like the tranny is in neutral no matter what gear I try to put it in. Attempting to have the transfer case switch to 4 wheel anything has no effect either.
Jacob wrote:
My 05 Durango wont go into gear anymore its like its stuck in neutral the truck rolls backwards in all gears but park
Lesley

Latrobe, PA

#16 Aug 29, 2009
I have a 1998 Durango with just shy of 200,000 miles. I am having a problem with it shifting into overdrive. When i first start out and the system is cold, it will run through all the gears and into overdrive just fine. However, once it comes back down out of o/d, it will not go back in. It continues to run through the rest of the gears just fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Judged:

26

19

1

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Denise

Lees Summit, MO

#17 Aug 30, 2009
Chris wrote:
Who knows anything about transmissions and sensors for Dodge Durango?
Have a 2005 Dodge Durango with 73,000 miles. Went out to go somewhere the other morning and it wouldn't shift gears from where it was parked. It is an automatic. It was snowing and cold so thought it just needed to warm up. When I went back to out to try it went in reverse then when I put in drive went about 2 feet and then wouldn't go. Sounded like it was in neutral. It will shift into 4wd, Park, and neutral. Went out later that night and it shifted into drive so I could at least pull it up out of the middle of the driveway. Had no problems driving it earlier in the week. Is it possible it is a sensor rather than the whole transmission needing replaced? Clueless....
That happened to my Durango this summer - at almost exactly the same mileage! There is a flaw in the design of one of the filters - the sump filter I think is what it's called. Dodge put out a "bulletin" about it because it is very common, but it's not a recall unfortunately. The total repair should run about $300 or so. We had also replaced some sensors on our own before we had it towed in, so you may need some sensors as well. Good luck!
szim

Meeker, OK

#18 Sep 27, 2009
Joe wrote:
When is the last time you had the transmission filter and fluid changed? supposed to do this every 30,000 or every 2 years depending on what comes first. most likely it is just do for a service. visit a transmission shop and have them service the transmission. should cost around $60-70 and you just need the basic fluid and filter change. Don't let them talk you into more then that such as a "flush".
I know you can take your Durango to any autozone for them to check it with a electronic gadget under your dash by the steering wheel to find out why your check engine light is on. That should tell you the possible reasons for trouble. I had mine done yesterday when it made a funny clunk noise in the transmission and then the check engine light came on. So I took it to Autozone and they checked it with this electronic thing that they plug into a spot under the dash area and found out that it was the shaft automatic transmission sensor was malfunctioning. So I bought a new one. Cost $54.11 with tax, and my husband is trying to put on the car now.
Hope this helps.
szim

Meeker, OK

#19 Sep 27, 2009
Does anyone know where the shaft automatic trans Sensor goes on a 2000 Dodge Durango?

I bought one yesterday ($54.11) after I took my car to Autozone. I heard a clunk sound from the trans. and then the check engine light came on. So I took it to Autozone and they hooked up there electronic gadget under my dash and found out that my car was having a Automatic Trans. shaft sensor malfunction. But now I can't find out where it goes. My book doesn't show where.
Mattyou

Centreville, VA

#20 Oct 13, 2009
2005 Hemi Durango / 60,150 miles.
Lost all Transmission while driving. Turned a corner gave some gas, nothing happened. Coasted to a stop, ran it through all gears, no joy. Whirring sound from torque converter area. Towed to Dodge, Filter / Fluid check good, no debris. Dodge is in-process of disassembly of tranny now. Mech stated "I have No idea"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Durango Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2005 durango 4wd shifts to lock on its own (Mar '12) Wed Destiny0327 35
2000 dodge durango help!!!! (May '07) Mar 10 Willie 68
2004 Dodge Durango Hatch won't open (Apr '10) Mar 6 RNewell 15
2005 Dodge Durango Chronic Overheating (Aug '11) Mar 4 Gili123 62
dodge durango 2004 overheating (Aug '07) Mar 2 Dantheman8181 94
2002 dodge durango-stalling out (Dec '08) Feb 26 Brian 51
Don't have warm air in my heating system? (Jan '07) Feb 26 Jim klemka 235
More from around the web