2001 Dodge Dakota ....power loss? transmission not shifting?

Posted in the Dodge Dakota Forum

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2014
Gabriella

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2010

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport. 76,000 miles on it. Was driving fine, no problems. One morning last week, went out to our garage and there was a big puddle of transmission fluid under the truck. On the way to the shop, the engine light came on. I figured it was due to the leak, but the guys at the garage said it wasn't.

So, they changed out the transmission pan gasket and filter and installed a new leak detection pump. Now the truck has either no power or surges. Transmission doesn't always shift when it should either. Now what? Had neither of these problems before, just the leak, and it was fixed pronto.
jerseyboy

Browns Mills, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

Gabby. I think the gremlin is in the engine controller,(ECM).
The leak may have been the pan gasket as it was under the truck while it was parked. A pressure leak would show a spray of oil all over under the truck and be readily visible. Depending on how much tranny oil you lost before getting to the shop that could be a contributing factor to any trans damage. As an aside, on the trans repair, if you need to replace the trans don't go to those shysters at the rebuild outfits. I replaced my trans in my 2000 Dak by getting a re-man unit from Dodge. It was guessimated at 22 to 2500, and came in at $2100. I also got a full 3 years warantee for everything at any Chrysler or Dodge in the continent. In Monday at 8 AM and back to me at 11AM fully ready to run. You won't get but a year on labor and 90 days on parts. This is after they "rebuild" the old unit. Their prices were "determined by the parts needed to repair it." They almost always ran to about $2000. Take the 3 years full warantee and have some peace of mind with everything to factory spec.

The check engine light is a tattle tale to indicate that the cat convertor has a temperature problem. The light activates when the ox sensor in front of the cat and the one behind, get the wrong spread of temperature readings. This may upset the drivability of the truck and the only fix is to plug into an on board diagnostic unit. If the plugs at messing up, you may get an occasional misfire or other burp and that messes with the amount of unburned gas in the front of the cat (temp is low) and then the rear sensor says " What's this crap?" because it gets a higher temp as the cat must burn the extra gas and that sets the light. The light will probably reset by itself after about 3 fresh starts where it does not see the bad reading. The light goes out and you think the little gremlins have done some good for a change. They didn't, just fooled you. It may continue to set and reset this light until you respond to the problem. The biggest bad thing about the check engine light is that you are Poluting the atmosphere at a higher rate than you should be. Your milage goes into the hopper too in some conditiions. Because you had the light and then the rough, no power, performance I'd go for the ignition system, be it wires (76K), plugs, fuel filters as a back up. Hope I helped. Good Luck. Charlie.
John Lopez

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

I have a 2001 Doge Dakota---My battery has power but I turn the key and it is dead no nothing. No interior lights like it doesn't even have a battery connected . What could it be? I already checked for bad cables.
cpr

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2012

Standard Motor TechSmart Governor Pressure Sensor & Solenoid Kit (B51002)(New)

I had the same issue, changed the Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid, purchased on Amazon for $133. Very easy fix, if you can change a trans filter, you can change a solenoid and sensor.
denice

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

I have a 2001 dodge dakota, 2 wheel drive, automatic transmission with 77000 miles on it. for the last year it has been slipping, ive takeen into dealer 6 times, and they tell me its NOT the transmission! but yet, they couldnt find anything wrong it. today I was at the pharmacy, went to put in reverse and it wont go in!!!! the people at Feeney Chrysler & Dodge do not know what they are doing!!!! it HAS been my tranny all along, if they would have fixed it the first time I took in, I wouldnt have gotten stranded, or have to dish out $2500 - 3000 for a new one!!!!
golf guy

Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

my 2001 has no power off the line its dead. keep getting error code po753. had all the solenoids and pressure sensors changed. still no power and the same codes, was told it had to be the pcm so i bought a new one, everything stayed the same. i'm out of ideas does anybody have the same experience or any ideas? appreciate the help
Kristopher

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

John Lopez wrote:
I have a 2001 Doge Dakota---My battery has power but I turn the key and it is dead no nothing. No interior lights like it doesn't even have a battery connected . What could it be? I already checked for bad cables.
If you have not fixed it yet it is the alternator
Kristopher

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2014

my 2001 dodge dakota will hit 50 mph and then loses the gear. when the truck idles down to about 20 mph it will go back into gear. i believe this to be the transmission governor sensor and transmission governor cylinoide. any thoughts if i am right or not

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dodge Dakota Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"No Bus" message (Mar '07) Wed Jlopez4996 48
coolant leak Aug 11 steve 1
Dakota won't Start (Aug '06) Aug 8 json 146
Lift Kits for 2006 Dakota (Nov '06) Aug 6 Karl 50
2000 Dakota Air Conditioning problem (Jun '09) Jul 31 alex 5
My truck light went crazy Jun '14 Suzette 1
Dakota headlights (Mar '06) Jun '14 Matt 75

Search the Dodge Dakota Forum:

Buy a New Car

Zipcode: