antifreeze level down why??

Posted in the Dodge Caravan Forum

dafir

Brampton, Canada

#1 Oct 19, 2007
I have a 2001 Grand Caravan that has just developed a problem. One night I had heat just fine, the next day I had cold air coming out instead. I decided to check my antifreeze level, and found the reservoir bone dry. I added up to the fill line more antifreeze. The air again became warm. I decided to check the antifreeze level again the next day after a long drive, and found the reservoir again bone dry. I added more antifreeze. I have gone through a whole gallon now with the same circumstances, and I am concerned what might be wrong. Also, I have checked under my vehicle and have found no puddles or leaking. Is it safe to keep adding the antifreeze or should it be checked out at the dealer? It otherwise runs fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
susan

Waterloo, IL

#2 Nov 6, 2007
Same exact thing is happening with my 2001 Grand Caravan. However, mine has the smell of antifreeze but with no sign of leakage. It's getting cold and need help quick. Any help would be appreciated.
crb

Ottawa, Canada

#3 Nov 27, 2007
dafir wrote:
I have a 2001 Grand Caravan that has just developed a problem. One night I had heat just fine, the next day I had cold air coming out instead. I decided to check my antifreeze level, and found the reservoir bone dry. I added up to the fill line more antifreeze. The air again became warm. I decided to check the antifreeze level again the next day after a long drive, and found the reservoir again bone dry. I added more antifreeze. I have gone through a whole gallon now with the same circumstances, and I am concerned what might be wrong. Also, I have checked under my vehicle and have found no puddles or leaking. Is it safe to keep adding the antifreeze or should it be checked out at the dealer? It otherwise runs fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Possible blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head
Jim - East Lansing

Lansing, MI

#4 Nov 17, 2008
susan wrote:
Same exact thing is happening with my 2001 Grand Caravan. However, mine has the smell of antifreeze but with no sign of leakage. It's getting cold and need help quick. Any help would be appreciated.
Just wondering if you ever found a resolution to this issue? I have had the same issue going on at least 1 year. Have found no solution.
saxaponed

Oakville, Canada

#5 Dec 2, 2008
Jim - East Lansing wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering if you ever found a resolution to this issue? I have had the same issue going on at least 1 year. Have found no solution.
happened to me as well.'02 caravan, seems the brace they use to support the tube that transports the antifreeze in it's circuit to the air ducts is incompatible with the tube it holds, causing corrosion, causing sudden loss of cooling, and overheating. check chrysler bulletins, should be covered as is a known issue
Allan

Erie, PA

#6 Feb 12, 2009
saxaponed wrote:
<quoted text>
happened to me as well.'02 caravan, seems the brace they use to support the tube that transports the antifreeze in it's circuit to the air ducts is incompatible with the tube it holds, causing corrosion, causing sudden loss of cooling, and overheating. check chrysler bulletins, should be covered as is a known issue
I did not find any bulletin on that topic. I have a leak myself and I have even gone to the extent of replacing the head gasket. It only leaks when I drive it. I can have it running in the driveway and it never leaks.
Matt

Toronto, Canada

#7 Mar 7, 2009
I have the same thing. No milky oil, no drips in the parking lot. I notice that whenever it rains or snows, a lot of steam comes from under the hood. It never over heats, the temp gauge never goes over half. But the reservoir was bone dry 2 days ago.
ChrisMan287

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Sep 13, 2009
I had the same problem. I replaced the radiator and hoses and the problem was solved.
Ben

United States

#9 Sep 26, 2009
you could be burning it out your exhaust, if not that you could have a damaged heater core
dafir wrote:
I have a
2001 Grand Caravan that has just developed a problem. One night I had heat just fine, the next day I had cold air coming out instead. I decided to check my antifreeze level, and found the reservoir bone dry. I added up to the fill line more antifreeze. The air again became warm. I decided to check the antifreeze level again the next day after a long drive, and found the reservoir again bone dry. I added more antifreeze. I have gone through a whole gallon now with the same circumstances, and I am concerned what might be wrong. Also, I have checked under my vehicle and have found no puddles or leaking. Is it safe to keep adding the antifreeze or should it be checked out at the dealer? It otherwise runs fine. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ryan

Columbus, OH

#10 Jan 10, 2010
The leak can be so minor that it only appears once the system is under pressure, and comming out only as steam (no puddling). Mine had a leaking bypass hose that was blowing out steam while driving, but would not leak when parked. I didn't figure out the cause until after the hose blew completely.
Lori

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 30, 2013
I have a 2002 grand caravan sport.I seems to have two problems.One its losing anti freeze with no visible signs of leaks and on the gage it stays under or at the temp line.Second,The steering wheel shimmy's. It only has 140,000 miles on it. Just an F.Y.I. I bought it from Avis vehicle rentals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Caravan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
repeat failure with new ignition coil (May '12) Jan 21 rdk 2
2007 Dodge Caravan headlight problem Jan 15 uscatbird 1
2002 caravan not starting, reads "done" on odom... (Nov '08) Jan 13 yellowbird31 72
1996 caravan with no speedometer, etc. working Jan 5 waileadawg28 1
Mother of four missing from Caneyville (Jun '13) Jan 4 prissy 19
1998 dodge caravan electrical problems (Mar '09) Dec '14 Barbara Phillips 120
'05 grand caravan heater blend door problem (Jan '10) Dec '14 Raymond 3
More from around the web