dead speedometer--2002 grand caravan

Posted in the Dodge Caravan Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Duane Griffith

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Jan 5, 2009
speedometer suddenly died. Odometers work. The speedometer needle appears to rest on the wrong side of the stop. When ignition key turns on the needle rotates clockwise to rest against the stop. Anyone with similar experience?
Clayton

Richmond, KY

#2 Jan 14, 2009
Yep, just hold down the trip reset button with the ignition switch in the OFF position. It should come up with Sof and a number, let go, and it will do a self test. Should fix the problem, and it will tell you any error codes that the van may have had.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Dan from Ontario

Woodstock, Canada

#3 Jan 16, 2009
I had similar issue, then needle ended up being off -- was at 10:00 position during idle.. repair shop said $500 to $1000 for new instrament cluster. I took it apart and problem was simply that the needle had spun on the spindle. Took needle off and put it back on in the right spot and that fixed it. the self test was a good way to calibrate that I had needle placed properly.
Len

Wickliffe, OH

#4 Jan 19, 2009
Had same problem - self-test worked perfectly.
Thanks alot.
Aaron

Pinola, MS

#5 Jan 20, 2009
Worked like a champ. Never heard of this self check until this thread, but it fixed issue. Changed battery on Sunday, and speedo stopped working. This fixed that issue. Thanks
Dave

Ottawa, Canada

#6 Feb 18, 2009
Clayton wrote:
Yep, just hold down the trip reset button with the ignition switch in the OFF position. It should come up with Sof and a number, let go, and it will do a self test. Should fix the problem, and it will tell you any error codes that the van may have had.
Thank you very much. The dealer charged me 45$ to do it and it lasted 3 months. You are the man!
Larry

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Feb 22, 2009
Clayton wrote:
I was dreading the $700 -$1400 cost!! Your solution took care of the problem. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Paul

Springfield, MO

#8 Mar 1, 2009
Clayton wrote:
VERY HELPFUL.
Worked for me as well on my 2003 Caravan.
Thanks!
Dan

Mechanicsville, MD

#9 Mar 22, 2009
I jsut tried this on 2002 Dodge Caravan - worked perfectly. Tahnks zillion Clayton.
Clayton wrote:
jjf

Waukesha, WI

#10 Apr 3, 2009
Wow, googled the problem, it led me here, and I'll be darned - worked like a champ on my 2003 GC. I am grinning from ear to ear. I was sweating the prospect of a $1000 repair, too. Why didn't the dealership didn't tell me this?
Cindi

Spokane, WA

#11 Apr 25, 2009
Clayton wrote:
Had the same problem and was very worried. Tried this and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much!
vito

Courtice, Canada

#12 Jul 30, 2009
i will try that .
it is on a 2006 caravan
will let you know
thank you
vito

Courtice, Canada

#13 Jul 30, 2009
will try
Richard

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Aug 6, 2009
Clayton wrote:
THANK YOU! My speedo stopped working when my battery died. Drove hundreds of miles like that till I got home and read your post. Works perfectly now! THANKS AGAIN!!
Milton

Dunedin, FL

#16 Sep 22, 2009
Hmmm, just ran the test. I think it is fixed. So, how does one find out about things like that? I am sure it is not in the book. Good job!
Nancy from Georgia

North Anson, ME

#17 Oct 30, 2009
Thank you Clayton! It just worked for me.
carlos

Hollywood, FL

#18 Nov 10, 2009
Nancy from Georgia wrote:
Thank you Clayton! It just worked for me.
clayton thanks also here, thought the speddo had broken I appreciate it.
John M

Houston, TX

#19 Nov 11, 2009
Wow. It sure is nice when the internet can provide such a simple solution to a problem like this. 2003 Grand Caravan had the needle pegged on the back side of the stop, whether the ignition was on or not. This got it back in place.
Thanks.
darrin z

Anoka, MN

#20 Dec 26, 2009
This worked for my 2002 caravan sport.
Outstanding that we can find this info on the web.
Thanks for posting this !! saved me some $$$
Samantha

East Moline, IL

#21 Dec 31, 2009
Clayton wrote:
Awesome! this worked and saved us a lot ot money thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dodge Caravan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 caravan not starting, reads "done" on odom... (Nov '08) Sep 20 Elijah c 97
Grand Caravan Instrument cluster no power (Dec '12) Sep 13 Brad 53
2005 Caravan headlight problem (May '08) Sep 10 Lisa 102
gas smell coming from under hood (Nov '07) Sep 4 Rucj 52
I need help please no spark on my dodge grand c... Sep 3 Crystal 1
'04 Caravan 3.8 Stalls after refueling. (Oct '09) Aug '17 Sweetsarebear 20
spare tire question (Apr '07) Jul '17 LilChickTimmreck 81
More from around the web