3.6 engine problems
SpinksTer

Kokomo, IN

#29 Jul 19, 2012
RETIRED wrote:
<quoted text>i have alot of McD stock I bought over the last 35yrs, it's bringing me monthly checks more than my pension. Also have alot of gas and natual gas stocks
Natual gas tells me I'm full of shit....
jgosplice

Ronkonkoma, NY

#30 Jul 20, 2012
WTF wrote:
15,000+ miles on a 2012??? Holy crap!!!
yeah,, took it to South Carolina from new york 4 times.,not really happy with the miles but it is what it is.family crisis. nut dam.... this car was my retirement gift to myself...i thought i would chill with it forever got the car 10-16-2011
anthony

Ashland, MA

#32 Jul 23, 2012
jed wrote:
chrysler still builds crap! i guess management and engineering will never learn!
you obviously dont have a clue what they build.
anthony

Ashland, MA

#33 Jul 23, 2012
trouble wrote:
3.6 engines are having an issue with cylinder heads replacing many of them for valve stem to guide clearance issue causing valves to stick causing check engine light and loss of power Parts are backordered everywhere NOT GOOD!
yes parts are back ordered but only because the new part is not ready yet. you can all thank daimler benz. they left us with this issue and every thing from the manufacter of the cylinder heads was their choice. parts for the new grand have been in production for several years before it came out and the 3.6 is actually an awesome engine once they get past this issue with the left heads. something went wrong in the factory. there is not a single 3.6 that has had a problem with the right side head. its all the left
anthony

Whitinsville, MA

#34 Jul 25, 2012
i think alot of you are blowing this way out proportion. its not as big a deal as most of you make it out to be. part of the problem is the dealer not handling the situation properly. i have worked for chrylsler/GM dealers my whole career. there arealot of people in this business that just dont give a shit. we make the 3.6 head replacement as simple as possible for our customers. they drop off, get a car and come back within 2-3 days happy to pick it up. they also will get a good explanation from the tech ( myself) not the clueless service advisor about whats going on with this issue.
anthony

Whitinsville, MA

#35 Jul 25, 2012
Larry Fine wrote:
should have bought something with the 2.0/2.4 engine.
it's a solid motor.
if u have questions about your 3.6 email me at AVA0704@gmail.com. you are not better off with the 2.0/2.4. if it wasnt for your head issue youd probably talking about how much you love the engine. power, response etc...
homie

Westland, MI

#36 Jul 25, 2012
I've got 7k on mine so far with no issues
anthony

Ashland, MA

#37 Jul 25, 2012
homie wrote:
I've got 7k on mine so far with no issues
if you have 3.6 you probablywill have a cylinder head issue between 10 and 20k. when you do please rest assured it will be repaired by a well trained tech. the dealers pay thousands per year keeping us up to date on training. hopefully you have a good dealer service dept that will take care of you.
Frank

Livingston, NJ

#38 Jul 29, 2012
Let me say this i work for a local jeep dealer. The problem is the left head is buring valves. Usually cyl 2 sometimes 4 and on rare occasions 6. This is because of the people that don't warm up there vehicles and just drive. It's actually overheating the left bank because of how the coolant system is. Chrysler has just released a head approx. 2 weeks ago. This should fix issue. So don't yell at your dealer for issues with vehicle. Heads are back ordered nothing we can do to get faster. Once head comes ini it's about a 3 day turn around. I can tell you from experience people who come in screaming wait longer. Dealer are getting backed up with
Doc1120

Sioux City, IA

#39 Jul 30, 2012
Strange, I have a 20111 Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 and just over 40,000 miles and I haven't had a problem with anything. My 2012 Jeep Wrangler, which I have had only 2 months have over 4000 miles on it. Again no problems with anything. Could routine maintanence be an issue? Just saying.
Chryslertech

United States

#40 Aug 21, 2012
FYI, chrysler has a redesigned cylinder head for the 3.6L which is due to be released in October. The new head does not have valve/seat/guide issues that the 1st design does. Once this new head is utilized, the public will see just how good the 3.6L engine is.
homie

Westland, MI

#41 Aug 27, 2012
Larry Fine wrote:
should have bought something with the 2.0/2.4 engine.
it's a solid motor.
. Agreed. Dep has produced solid engines
Graham Barbie

Poughkeepsie, NY

#42 Sep 4, 2012
2012 Chrysler Town and Country 3.6 motor 3 quarts of oil in less than 5000 miles
Aaron

Manitouwadge, Canada

#43 Oct 25, 2013
This is Chrysler folks. Guy I work with at an auto garage repaired these engines and sais they are garbage. Now after hearing about all these problems I believe him.

Knowing Chrysler they will keep this engine forever like they did with the 3.3 and 3.8 so maybe in a few more years all these problems will be fixed.
rog

Little Rock, AR

#44 Oct 28, 2013
My 2012 3.6 has over 50,000 on the clock and it is a beast! Plenty of power and runs like new. Synthetic oil at every change and regular maintanece.
Pam

Ft Mitchell, KY

#45 Nov 20, 2013
Last week my daughter purchased a 2012 Dodge Caravan, and did not have it one day when the engine light came on. The Dodge dealer repair center said it needed a new head. She has 7 days after getting it back to decide if she wants to keep the van or get something else. Right now there is 34,000+ miles on it. Any advice out there, it is her first mostly new car, paid cash, and very disapointed.
Larry_Fine

Royal Oak, MI

#46 Nov 20, 2013
Pam wrote:
Last week my daughter purchased a 2012 Dodge Caravan, and did not have it one day when the engine light came on. The Dodge dealer repair center said it needed a new head. She has 7 days after getting it back to decide if she wants to keep the van or get something else. Right now there is 34,000+ miles on it. Any advice out there, it is her first mostly new car, paid cash, and very disapointed.
give it back to the dealer and go find a used Chevy Uplander. they are butt ugly, but bullet proof reliable. save yourself $10K too.
jsb

Royal Oak, MI

#47 Nov 20, 2013
Pam wrote:
how the heck did a Dodge dealer try to sell you a used vehicle with a check engine light problem?
Tmartin

Lodi, CA

#49 Dec 5, 2013
JnapA5 wrote:
There's only one problem with what you have just said.
There's no such thing as a 2010 *anything* with the Pentastar 3.6L.
So either you have made a typo, or you are totally misinformed about what you are driving.
Wrong!!!! I thought so too. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee (new style) w/3.6 engine. My sister has a 2010 Grand Cherokee (old style) that was a late year model that has the 3.6 liter also. Same motor!
Tmartin

Lodi, CA

#50 Dec 5, 2013
Wrong!!!! I thought so too! I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee (new style) w/3.6 liter motor. My sister has a 2010 Grand Cherokee (old style) that was a late year production that also has the same 3.6 liter (not the 3.7 like it should have).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marysville axle (Sep '15) 30 min Kingpin 49
Production problems he said cost 300 million mo... 39 min cumm bubble 10
no heavy duty to wtap 4 hr RAM MAKER 7
May 9th vote for what?? 6 hr I da boss 2
Cindy Estrada 9 hr Icky Thump 9
Plant closings 11 hr The Flusher 19
next generation 300/charger/challenger 14 hr Zenyatta 3