UAW must give us our Corp Seniority.

Posted in the Chrysler Forum

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
SHAP DUDE

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2008
If Chrysler continues to layoff and place people of indefinate layoff, I think its time the UAW and Chrysler do away with plant seniority. I know people at SHAP that have Corp Seniority of 2005 and started at SHAP in 2005. When SHAP lost their 2nd shift you had people with 94 seniority getting laid off while the people with 3 years are still working 6 days a week. WTF I have been to 5 plants in 11 years. This is wrong. If the UAW is forced to give up concessions this is the first thing that should change before wage cuts etc.
Ubber

Anderson, IN

#2 Dec 20, 2008
You are sooooo right! Corporate seniority is the only way to go.
DodgeVader

Cape Girardeau, MO

#3 Dec 20, 2008
Are you guys willing to move to any plant in the country when you are laid off? With little or no relocation money even? I understand keeping corporate seniority in the labor market, thats exactly whats happening here in STL right now. But If you are put on indefinite layoff for some reason other than a plant closing, and they tell you to report to san francisco in 2 weeks because your corporate seniority means your next in line, how are you gonna feel about that? Ready to move your family at the drop of a dime to any plant anywhere in the U.S.?
north

Arnold, MO

#4 Dec 21, 2008
DodgeVader wrote:
Are you guys willing to move to any plant in the country when you are laid off? With little or no relocation money even? I understand keeping corporate seniority in the labor market, thats exactly whats happening here in STL right now. But If you are put on indefinite layoff for some reason other than a plant closing, and they tell you to report to san francisco in 2 weeks because your corporate seniority means your next in line, how are you gonna feel about that? Ready to move your family at the drop of a dime to any plant anywhere in the U.S.?
that would suck
slpn136

AOL

#5 Dec 21, 2008
SHAP DUDE wrote:
If Chrysler continues to layoff and place people of indefinate layoff, I think its time the UAW and Chrysler do away with plant seniority. I know people at SHAP that have Corp Seniority of 2005 and started at SHAP in 2005. When SHAP lost their 2nd shift you had people with 94 seniority getting laid off while the people with 3 years are still working 6 days a week. WTF I have been to 5 plants in 11 years. This is wrong. If the UAW is forced to give up concessions this is the first thing that should change before wage cuts etc.
this doesnt even make sense .... I know people at SHAP that have Corp Seniority of 2005 and started at SHAP in 2005. When SHAP lost their 2nd shift you had people with 94 seniority getting laid off while the people with 3 years are still working 6 days a week......Your saying that when SHAP went to one shift people with 94 sen were laid off while people with 05 sen are working? UNless the people with 94 sen have a different plant sen ? I have to say no one really ever complained about this till now ( the thought of losing job bank starting to scare people )....why were you not complaining earlier ?
But like the other post mentioned corp sen could lead to a mess ..you could get relocated all the time and to who knows where .
Best to all .
hmdpt20no1

AOL

#6 Dec 21, 2008
i transferred to belvidere with day one plant seniority and keep seeing people being brought in from plant closures with their corporate.i hate to think i have 15 years crop. and might get laid off because of 3 years plant seniority especially when some people was given 3 or 4 chances to come here
monster

Barberton, OH

#7 Dec 21, 2008
Ok so because you decided to go to another plant when yours did not close you should bump someone who is already there out. For no reason but you decided you want to leave..

It only comes into play now because of all the layoffs. You can not have your cake and eat it to.

You signed a paper and said you understood you were coming day one and still gave up your time to do it. That can't happen.

If your plant closes you have that right. You want to honor one part of the contract but not the other.

I think you should have to only have plant senority. You decide you gave up your time. Corporate should only count towards retirement.

It makes no sense for one state to be paying unemployment to me being layed off and you come into my state and take my job. Can not go both ways.
SHAP DUDE

United States

#8 Dec 21, 2008
slpn136 wrote:
<quoted text>this doesnt even make sense .... I know people at SHAP that have Corp Seniority of 2005 and started at SHAP in 2005. When SHAP lost their 2nd shift you had people with 94 seniority getting laid off while the people with 3 years are still working 6 days a week......Your saying that when SHAP went to one shift people with 94 sen were laid off while people with 05 sen are working? UNless the people with 94 sen have a different plant sen ? I have to say no one really ever complained about this till now ( the thought of losing job bank starting to scare people )....why were you not complaining earlier ?
But like the other post mentioned corp sen could lead to a mess ..you could get relocated all the time and to who knows where .
Best to all .
Sorry yes it was 94 corporate seniority. I just think its unfair to have a guy that only has been with Chrysler 3 years working 6 days a week. Then you have 767 people in the Job Bank and laid off with more time in the company with no future.
shap1

Alger, MI

#9 Dec 21, 2008
at the time of the shift cut, they cut by department,meaning if there were 4 people in a dept.all with 2005 seniority and they wanted to layoff 2 then the lowest 2 went. and 2 stayed. each dept. did that as needed. then anyone that wanted to displace someone with lower seniority to get back in the plant had the option to do so,but only for a limited time.well alot of people thought the summer in the "bank" would be cool so they didnt displace and stayed out. well, the S--- has hit the fan and they want back in but its too late. It sucks but you Cant have it all.
MacKII

AOL

#10 Dec 21, 2008
Just look at it this way, you'll have more seniority on the unemployment line then the guy with 2005 seniority. So you got braggin rights!
Jeeper at BAP

Sun Prairie, WI

#11 Dec 21, 2008
Shap Dude,
It should part of, and be written for the new contract restructuring plan. A NEW CONTRACT PROPOSAL - LETS GET ONE TOGETHER ASAP!
If anyone has contact with any international reps,
Please contact them on this issue - or leave info here
Rich_St_Louis_So uth

United States

#12 Dec 21, 2008
If they are going to do away with the job bank or some way of being paid while laid off they need to go to corp seniority. And if the big downsizing is really coming they need to do it too.
If you have been with the company for 20 years or whatever it shouldn't matter which plant, seniority should be the ones working.
shady

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Dec 21, 2008
you knew how the game was played before you got in.
i hired in a journeyman and im on the street. its the way it is. go look for another job like i am. when they call you back, go to work. freakin man up.
seniority

AOL

#14 Dec 21, 2008
If they do rid themselves of this jobs bank., they will have to honor seniority (this is the only thing that I have seen that the union does protect and beside this, it would be a legal thing). I believe they will call all involved back into the plants at this time, then level the plants. You will be in line where your seniority places you, they are freed of the law suit possibilities (people with plant closing language), and able to go their merry way in the automotive business. People that are laid off from here will be able to draw (if they haven't drawn out in the case of lower seniority peoples that have possibly been off more than two years) until the fund goes dry or they find a job, if there are any to be found! This too, may be renegotiated (the two year thing as to lay off) It isn't going to be pretty from here on out! People prepare as best you can.
Rich_St_Louis_So uth

United States

#15 Dec 21, 2008
shady wrote:
you knew how the game was played before you got in.
i hired in a journeyman and im on the street. its the way it is. go look for another job like i am. when they call you back, go to work. freakin man up.
BUT if they are going to change the rules on what happens when you are off work... then people want changes to who gets to work..
shady

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Dec 21, 2008
Rich_St_Louis_South wrote:
<quoted text>
BUT if they are going to change the rules on what happens when you are off work... then people want changes to who gets to work..
man up.... you knew the rules.
this goes back alot of years far beyond you and i.
Rich_St_Louis_So uth

United States

#17 Dec 21, 2008
shady wrote:
<quoted text>
man up.... you knew the rules.
this goes back alot of years far beyond you and i.
You aren't getting it, we are saying if they are going to change the rules.
MacKII

AOL

#18 Dec 22, 2008
Man up! Man up! Man Up! Dang it! Man up!
wage defender

Markleville, IN

#19 Dec 22, 2008
What about being in the Bank and not even being able to replace a temp.? Is that fair?
slpn136

AOL

#20 Dec 22, 2008
seniority wrote:
If they do rid themselves of this jobs bank., they will have to honor seniority (this is the only thing that I have seen that the union does protect and beside this, it would be a legal thing). I believe they will call all involved back into the plants at this time, then level the plants. You will be in line where your seniority places you, they are freed of the law suit possibilities (people with plant closing language), and able to go their merry way in the automotive business. People that are laid off from here will be able to draw (if they haven't drawn out in the case of lower seniority peoples that have possibly been off more than two years) until the fund goes dry or they find a job, if there are any to be found! This too, may be renegotiated (the two year thing as to lay off) It isn't going to be pretty from here on out! People prepare as best you can.
I dont agree with you , The auto industry as seen hard times before. Even before there were job banks and guess what? This is how its always been done , so I dont see them changing it now . My opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lazy ass appointees.... 37 min Auto2000 2
Kokomo Chrysler Hiring News ? (Jan '12) 1 hr tkn 2,428
contract talks 3 hr Onion head 220
Corporate senority 5 hr jnap 23
Who else is going to quit paying union dues at ... 11 hr haha 2
tier one cut there own throats (Apr '13) 13 hr wtap 20yrs 62
chrysler hiring process FAQ for new applicants. (Jun '12) Thu Ray 14,498

Chrysler People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE