UAW faces painful transformation

UAW faces painful transformation

There are 4817 comments on the www.detnews.com story from May 14, 2009, titled UAW faces painful transformation. In it, www.detnews.com reports that:

The United Auto Workers, like the automakers whose employees it represents, is struggling to survive the worst financial crisis to hit the auto industry since the Great Depression.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.detnews.com.

Joe

Logan, WV

#24 May 15, 2009
T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
Yea and gm has taken part in the global capitalist market for years and trying to make things better for everyone...

it's too bad uaw is protectionist and won't let gm become a world leader instead of metro detroit only.

If this dumb union gets its own way...

it will find out that it can't exist without management soon enough.
guess who

Girard, KS

#25 May 15, 2009
Why do you think the transplants entered the US market? Because of the obscene profits that were being made. Maybe if the detroit 3 weren't overcharging for the vehicles they produced, the transplants wouldn't have pursued the US market.

The detroit 3 gave the consumer reasons to buy a transplants car. Whether it was for quality or cost, they gave them a reason to leave. Deny that all you want, but it is one of the reasons the detroit 3 are suffering today, people don't want to change for no particular reason. Why are people reluctant to go back to the detroit 3, they are satisfied with the current make they have.

Since: May 09

michigan

#26 May 15, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Yea and gm has taken part in the global capitalist market for years and trying to make things better for everyone...
it's too bad uaw is protectionist and won't let gm become a world leader instead of metro detroit only.
The U.A.W wont let G.M. become a world leader? WTF? Really
larry

Oscoda, MI

#27 May 15, 2009
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Yea and gm has taken part in the global capitalist market for years and trying to make things better for everyone...
Why dont you go post some place else,you are redudant and boring.Cant you find someplace else to bitch and cry with like minded people?
redneck

Chicago, IL

#29 May 15, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>Why dont you go post some place else,you are redudant and boring.Cant you find someplace else to bitch and cry with like minded people?
And just what are you doing. Bitching and crying, like little kids throwing fits over not getting their way. You have had your way. It did'nt work. So now instead of lowering wages and beni's for a few years to help sell American cars your going to keep throwing fits all the waty to the unemployement line. 20 dollars an hour is better than unemployement. Why don't the UAW workers stand up like men and ack like Americans and pitch in a helping hand to help yourselves. I have been a construction worker for 35 years many times I have taken less money than I wanted just to feed and house my family. I am proud to be an American. I own new dodge and new chevy trucks. I really like my chevy diesel, but the way GM employee's have acted it will be my last GM.
NorthSouth

De Soto, KS

#30 May 15, 2009
guess who wrote:
Why do you think the transplants entered the US market? Because of the obscene profits that were being made. Maybe if the detroit 3 weren't overcharging for the vehicles they produced, the transplants wouldn't have pursued the US market.
The detroit 3 gave the consumer reasons to buy a transplants car. Whether it was for quality or cost, they gave them a reason to leave. Deny that all you want, but it is one of the reasons the detroit 3 are suffering today, people don't want to change for no particular reason. Why are people reluctant to go back to the detroit 3, they are satisfied with the current make they have.
You don't have a single clue about what you are talking about. Prices have been inline for years.

You need to leave. We enjoy this site MUCH more without tools like you rambling aboiut things you know nothing about.
guess who

Girard, KS

#31 May 15, 2009
NorthSouth wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a single clue about what you are talking about. Prices have been inline for years.
You need to leave. We enjoy this site MUCH more without tools like you rambling aboiut things you know nothing about.
You don't have a clue what your talking about! Geeze if there weren't obscene profits in the business, why would companies want to get in the US car market? Do you think companies enter a market that is losing money?
redneck

Cedar Knolls, NJ

#32 May 15, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>CNN Poll says 70% of people say they will consider a domestic auto for there next purchase,and 40% will only purchase from a domestic.That is a very high number!
You know most people in the us make far less than 28 dollars an hour. They get sick of hearing how bad it is for UAW workers. They strugle along on 7 to 15 dollars an hour just getting by. living week to week. Can you imagine living on that kind of money. All the news is about how bad it is for the UAW workers. No consideration for them, no goverment help, no small buisness stimulas money. do you know how many small mom and pop companys have already filled bank rupt. Show the American people you are willing to help your self they would feel better about you.
NorthSouth

De Soto, KS

#33 May 15, 2009
I know what the profits are. You are saying foreign cars are priced much cheaper.

Why did you come back? Miss all your friends.... that hate you? This is our life. We don't care, want, or need your input. PERIOD. Leave us alone, troll.
guess who

Sylmar, CA

#34 May 15, 2009
NorthSouth wrote:
I know what the profits are. You are saying foreign cars are priced much cheaper.
Why did you come back? Miss all your friends.... that hate you? This is our life. We don't care, want, or need your input. PERIOD. Leave us alone, troll.
No I didn't say foreign cars are cheaper. I said that for years the detroit 3 were making obscene profits, and this drew other companies into the business. Deny, deny, deny which is what you will do. The detroit 3 overcharged for years by offering mediocre quality cars. The transplants came in with a better product for similar $$$. Consumers noticed and made the switch. No the companies are scrambling to get the consumers back. Why for the last 10 years have the detroit 3 been offering higher incentives than the transplants?
usa sos

Cheltenham, PA

#35 May 15, 2009
remember how crappy hyundais were. they're No.1 now.

it can be done, if the american companies want to do it they can make better cars and win back customers. problem is they arent willing to work that hard, or set long term goals to meet.

we've become a nation of fast buckers, flipping house, job jumping and lottery players.

so this is what it was like before Rome fell?
T-Bone Pickens

Fountain Inn, SC

#36 May 15, 2009
FredUAW wrote:
<quoted text>For example, heres some data that refutes your claims. Many of the jobs don't even pay well.
South Carolina's average manufacturing wage rose by 5 percent, to $10.54, from 1994 to 1998, far less than inflation and less than the 12 percent increase of manufacturing wages nationally during the same time.
http://www.strom.clemson.edu/teams/ced/tax_ne...
The numbers I quoted are for Greenville county and surrounding areas. BMW wages are on a par with UAW, as are the supplier jobs. Supplier skilled trades average $27 hour, production around $15. BMW matches or exceeds UAW pay. We have several very poor rural counties that drag down the state average. I'm a refugee from Chrysler Twinsburg and I can tell you I don't regret leaving in 1982. Better weather, much lower cost of living, and a more business friendly environment. I pay $800 a year in property tax on a 250K house. No city or county income taxes either.
T-Bone Pickens

Fountain Inn, SC

#37 May 15, 2009
IIsneed2open wrote:
<quoted text>
Its amazing how people forget that these auto companies (U.S.) have been in business for years, have helped millions and sent many to college, helped many communities, etc. BS on the foreign companies getting nothing, I'm from the south and watched states there outbid each other with many incentives to get the foreign plants and with UAW tax payer money. Nothing close was offered to the U.S. companies.
Wrong! Saturn got the same incentives as Nissan in Tenn. No federal tax money was involved in any transplant deal. States and counties agreed to forego property and corporate taxes for a limited period. Net result, more taxes collected! You will never be able to say the same about the bailouts.
refugee

Mc Lean, VA

#38 May 15, 2009
god bless you
cant keep a good man down
FredUAW

United States

#39 May 15, 2009
guess who wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't say foreign cars are cheaper. I said that for years the detroit 3 were making obscene profits, and this drew other companies into the business. Deny, deny, deny which is what you will do. The detroit 3 overcharged for years by offering mediocre quality cars. The transplants came in with a better product for similar $$$. Consumers noticed and made the switch. No the companies are scrambling to get the consumers back. Why for the last 10 years have the detroit 3 been offering higher incentives than the transplants?
#1 in what?
FredUAW

United States

#40 May 15, 2009
T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
The numbers I quoted are for Greenville county and surrounding areas. BMW wages are on a par with UAW, as are the supplier jobs. Supplier skilled trades average $27 hour, production around $15. BMW matches or exceeds UAW pay. We have several very poor rural counties that drag down the state average. I'm a refugee from Chrysler Twinsburg and I can tell you I don't regret leaving in 1982. Better weather, much lower cost of living, and a more business friendly environment. I pay $800 a year in property tax on a 250K house. No city or county income taxes either.
I had no idea that you were ignoring the rest of your state. In previous posts you didn't narrow your arguments down to Greenvilee county.

So what of the other claims from the article? No comment on the tax dollars used to lure foreign interests into the state?
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

#41 May 15, 2009
guess who wrote:
No that's not it at all...

they came here because we are over there...

it's a global market...

and its a sad fact that gm has been selling far more autos over there than over here for years.

It's another sad fact that uaw has taken a protectionist capitalist stand...

that protects metro detroit area only...

and it's against the global capitalist market that gm has been in for years.
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

#42 May 15, 2009
larry wrote:
<quoted text>Why dont you go post some place else,you are redudant and boring.Cant you find someplace else to bitch and cry with like minded people?
Why don't you go stroke your boner somewhere else if you don't like it...

crybaby.

hahahaha
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

#43 May 15, 2009
NorthSouth wrote:
Correction...

those cars are made by American workers and proven to be far better uaw made crap...

that plus an average car buyer doesn't have to go threw Welfare to buy it.
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

#44 May 15, 2009
usa sos wrote:
remember how crappy hyundais were. they're No.1 now.
it can be done, if the american companies want to do it they can make better cars and win back customers. problem is they arent willing to work that hard, or set long term goals to meet.
we've become a nation of fast buckers, flipping house, job jumping and lottery players.
so this is what it was like before Rome fell?
You got that right...

but then there is the crappy uaw...

and those who fall for it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dennis William's ( free press) 7 min cumm bubble 4
Work hardening 6 hr emanon 10
Chrysler recalls 4,800,000 vehicles! 8 hr Happy Customer 5
Mopar or no car! 8 hr Happy Customer 7
Attn: JNAP hourly! 11 hr Smashurface 5
chrysler hiring process FAQ for new applicants. (Jun '12) 12 hr Ssp 19,254
shap shap rumors (Oct '11) 14 hr shap 2,224