Will Chrysler hire there tpt's

Posted in the Chrysler Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
4 year temp

United States

#1 Oct 11, 2007
Like the gm deal is chrysler going to hire there temps or do we just vote no???
Phil

Sweetser, IN

#2 Oct 11, 2007
4 year temp wrote:
Like the gm deal is chrysler going to hire there temps or do we just vote no???
From what I have read, Chrysler did not get their temps hired in negotiations which is really sad.
stamping 95

AOL

#3 Oct 11, 2007
i read the same thing this is so wrong they should have been hired.
wondering

Lexington, KY

#4 Oct 11, 2007
stamping 95 wrote:
i read the same thing this is so wrong they should have been hired.
Don't even know if us temps are gonna get to vote on the contract. Our local said they don't know either. If we don't, I guess that means we won't even qualify for the 3,000 dollar bonus. Oh well, I was looking for a job when I got the one at Chrysler!
4 year temp

United States

#5 Oct 11, 2007
the only thing we can count on is the phone call from the plant when shit hits the fan telling us to drop everything in your life that your doing at this moment and come in and work 10 hours. (and don't be late)
Rich_St_Louis_So uth

Blue Springs, MO

#6 Oct 11, 2007
A good friend of mine is a temp, he is my sons baseball and basketball coach.
How can I look him in the eye if I vote yes on this deal.
He has been a TPT for over 8 years, and now they will ask him to take 14 dollars an hour?
BS.
HRC

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Oct 11, 2007
No tpt's are going to be hired. Vote NO!!!!!!!
stamping 95

AOL

#8 Oct 11, 2007
if there not going to hire them how in the hell can they ask them to work for less money. our they that ruthless?
stamping 95

AOL

#9 Oct 11, 2007
are
plant hopper

AOL

#10 Oct 11, 2007
stamping 95 wrote:
if there not going to hire them how in the hell can they ask them to work for less money. our they that ruthless?
umm yes!well they are the 3 headed devil dog arent they

“Only In My Jeeps”

Since: May 07

I miss Michigan

#11 Oct 12, 2007
Look. I'm not opposed to ANYONE having a job. I'm glad that Chrysler would hire anyone else to work at my/any plant.
However, what is the main thing about being a temporary employee? It's TEMPORARY!
I work with the ETE's (enhanced temporary employees). Probably one of the most controversial moves the UAW has made recently. They are currently suing Chrysler and the UAW because they are not getting hired in.
I've seen the contract...It's a temporary position, hence the term "Enhanced Temporary Employee".
The only advantage they have over the stupervisors that are contract is a few health & union benefits.
Anybody that has been in the automotive industry for a while knows how cyclical it is. The company hires people for only 3 months during the summer because of vacations and absenteeism for crying out loud.
I took a temporary job at Hudsons once prior to the holiday rush just to get the employee discount. When they told me it was my last day...it was no surprise.
Phil

Sweetser, IN

#12 Oct 12, 2007
But one of the reasons for the lawsuit is that during the original hiring of the ete's never during the process which has several steps did Chrysler mention this is temporary. Actually in some cases, it was do you want full time or tpt status, which caused alot of folks to quit good jobs that maybe they had been at for some time, then suddenly after many were working already the company decided to require this contract thing. That is misleading and wrong dont you think.
jnap

Kalamazoo, MI

#13 Oct 12, 2007
Phil wrote:
But one of the reasons for the lawsuit is that during the original hiring of the ete's never during the process which has several steps did Chrysler mention this is temporary. Actually in some cases, it was do you want full time or tpt status, which caused alot of folks to quit good jobs that maybe they had been at for some time, then suddenly after many were working already the company decided to require this contract thing. That is misleading and wrong dont you think.
I don't understand why the temps thought that it would lead to full time employment. I hired in 13 years ago as a summer replacement. There was no guarantee. I quit a good job and my wishful thinking paid off. I was hired in as a full time employee at the end of my 90 days. BUT that was 13 years ago not 3 years ago. I really don't see how the workers think that they are going to win this lawsuit. I completely understand their frustration. This is one reason why the two tier wage system causing so many problems between co-workers. I see how they have been mislead but haven't many of us for years? Hell, we are expected to vote on a contract and not even allowed to see it in its' entirety before we vote.

Since: Feb 07

Blue Springs, MO

#14 Oct 12, 2007
JeepGirl wrote:
Look. I'm not opposed to ANYONE having a job. I'm glad that Chrysler would hire anyone else to work at my/any plant.
However, what is the main thing about being a temporary employee? It's TEMPORARY!
I work with the ETE's (enhanced temporary employees). Probably one of the most controversial moves the UAW has made recently. They are currently suing Chrysler and the UAW because they are not getting hired in.
I've seen the contract...It's a temporary position, hence the term "Enhanced Temporary Employee".
The only advantage they have over the stupervisors that are contract is a few health & union benefits.
Anybody that has been in the automotive industry for a while knows how cyclical it is. The company hires people for only 3 months during the summer because of vacations and absenteeism for crying out loud.
I took a temporary job at Hudsons once prior to the holiday rush just to get the employee discount. When they told me it was my last day...it was no surprise.
Yes but many have been with Chrysler for a long long time, if they are some day going to get to be full time why not get them in at the full time good wage since they have been with us for so long.

“Only In My Jeeps”

I miss Michigan

#15 Oct 12, 2007
If the company mislead anybody, that is wrong. These people signed a contract!
I understand that some of them were part timers first, and told they had to go to full time (ETE) status to keep working, but the contract they signed clearly stated that this was a temporary position.
When Chrysler called me years ago, I knew the automotive industry was unpredictable. I'd seen my father work, and look for work, since 1966 while working for Chrysler.
I knew that when I quit a job that I actually enjoyed, making $16 an hour, that all bets were to be thrown out the window.
Chrysler didn't provide me with any guarantees of permanent employment for the rest of my career. They simply need people to work in their facilities, and I happend to be next on the list to be hired. Eventually I'll be next on the list to be let go.
There are NO guarantees in life other than we're all going to heaven or hell someday.
I can't blame the company, the UAW, the state's economy, my governor (yes, I'm from Michigan originally), my parents, or even myself for the current state of my employment.
I go to work everyday, attempt to make the most quality product possible, and feel good at the end of the day that I've worked hard for my $29 an hour...
KNOWING that one day it will come to an end.
I just hope it's later than sooner.
pam

Louisville, KY

#16 Oct 12, 2007
You go jeepgirl. We only need 2 shifts. Im voting yes no matter what. The UAW has never let me down. Now we can get our good paint jobs back. I know that we as in real UAW members can hammer cars out with even better quality.Lots of years training. when I started I made 12.22 hr I was happy. Its time we get our plant back and get ready for the hollidays.I know my kids will have another good x-mass.And my man will be drinking his budwiser and not some cheep beer.That maks me happy beacuse everyone else is finally happy in my house. I just wish they would let them know so they can get ready for the hollidays also.I dont feel bad for them beaucse they are temps. Not perms.
georgesparents

Louisville, KY

#17 Oct 12, 2007
pam, you a cynical, mean spirited person. I am an ete, and I am thankful to have my job, I never asked to take a job away from a fulltimer, just want a job that is open, which I have now. Remember when the papers reported that Chrysler was hiring a shift, so many jobs for the people, and even during testing they said it was permanent, so we were dissapointed in it not being so, but we ain't out there being the bitches, you fulltimers are. If I can vote, I will vote no. And if I had it my way, the union would see what some of their employees are, and a lot deserve to be let go.
wondering

Lexington, KY

#18 Oct 12, 2007
pam wrote:
You go jeepgirl. We only need 2 shifts. Im voting yes no matter what. The UAW has never let me down. Now we can get our good paint jobs back. I know that we as in real UAW members can hammer cars out with even better quality.Lots of years training. when I started I made 12.22 hr I was happy. Its time we get our plant back and get ready for the hollidays.I know my kids will have another good x-mass.And my man will be drinking his budwiser and not some cheep beer.That maks me happy beacuse everyone else is finally happy in my house. I just wish they would let them know so they can get ready for the hollidays also.I dont feel bad for them beaucse they are temps. Not perms.
What makes a "real" UAW member? Paying dues? Going to meetings? Supporting those that work beside you every day when they are being harrased? Wanting the best possible for EVERYONE on the floor? Or is it just the title that makes one a real member? If a person does all the things I listed and is designated a "temp" then they are not a real member, but if thier title is "permanent" then they are a real member? If thats what the theory is, interesting! Pretty stupid, but still interesting!!

“Only In My Jeeps”

I miss Michigan

#19 Oct 12, 2007
It's unfortunate that anybody would want less than optimal performance from their company (ie: only 2 shifts instead of 3).
It's also foolish to believe that our economy could accomodate 3 shifts for an extended period of time.
I don't believe that if the ETE's lost their job that myself, or any other employee, would be in any better position than they are now.
As far as getting a "good" job...? They pay us the same no matter what we do and if we lose hundreds of line workers, well, prepare to work a lot harder no matter what department you're in.
In my opinion the only thing that makes a "real" UAW worker is someone that:
1. shows up every day
2. does their job & watches the jobs of everyone before them
3. supports the people around them
wondering

Lexington, KY

#20 Oct 12, 2007
JeepGirl wrote:
It's unfortunate that anybody would want less than optimal performance from their company (ie: only 2 shifts instead of 3).
It's also foolish to believe that our economy could accomodate 3 shifts for an extended period of time.
I don't believe that if the ETE's lost their job that myself, or any other employee, would be in any better position than they are now.
As far as getting a "good" job...? They pay us the same no matter what we do and if we lose hundreds of line workers, well, prepare to work a lot harder no matter what department you're in.
In my opinion the only thing that makes a "real" UAW worker is someone that:
1. shows up every day
2. does their job & watches the jobs of everyone before them
3. supports the people around them
THANK YOU JEEPGIRL!! Under your criteria for a real UAW worker, that makes me one! I'm also an ETE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shap local 1700 Union Sucks 7 hr fuku 3
Region 1 under investigation 7 hr 97jnap 9
chrysler hiring process FAQ for new applicants. (Jun '12) 13 hr Trever 18,313
ktp 8 Fri BigDil 5
Ktp Parking Lots Fri up your lazy ass 4
2012 Chrysler 200 Fri Craig 9
shap shap rumors (Oct '11) Fri Holy 2,113
More from around the web