2003 Chrysler Town and Country Steeri...
Samantha

Salt Lake City, UT

#21 Dec 15, 2009
I bought the car at the end of 06 and yesterday I put in the 2nd rack and pinion since I have owned it. The first one I put in was in April of 08 and it didn't even last 2 years. Turns out that the mechanic bought the same one as the original from Chysler and it failed, too. Am considering a small claims against Chrysler for the faulty part... Maybe if everyone started doing this they would issue a recall. To me, this seems like a huge safety issue....
Erin

Gorham, ME

#22 Dec 15, 2009
Keith Hillard wrote:
I have a 2003 Chrysler T&C Limited but with a bit over 100K miles. It has had steering issues since we bought it used but I have been limping along by letting it warm up before driving it and using power steering conditioners / additives to get us by. It is getting to a point where this may not work anymore but I am trying to drag my feet as much as possible since this is a well known engineering problem and the new one will do the same thing eventually. Maybe I will flush the lines of the old fluid and put in some more high mileage steering fluid with additive one more time to try and get another 12 K miles or so out of it.
I'm having the same problem I just brought my vehicle same make model and around same milage: Changed the power steering pump. Now when the vehicle wants to freeze on me with no power steering it does. The mechanic states give it gas and it'll be fine. It is when your not trying to park.. Any advice on this would be great.
Chuck in MS

Gulfport, MS

#23 Jan 26, 2010
Our 2003 T&C had the very bad whine at low speeds. Since it was out of warranty, I took it to my favorite repairs shop and their first answer was that the rack would need to be replaced. HOWEVER, before they ordered the rack, they did some research and found an advisory that told them to replace all of the power steering fluid with ATF+5 (which if you Google you won't find much definitive info about, strangely). The whine immediately went away. It returns sometimes when the engine is cold, but for the most part it has remained fixed for over two years now, and we are up to about 120,000 miles. Best part? My guys didn't charge us a thing!

Before you let a dealership replace your steering rack, ask them to change the fluid instead... it's a whole bunch cheaper.
Jay

United States

#24 Feb 3, 2010
Robert wrote:
Took our 2003 Chrysler Town & Country to dealer for power steering problems. They stated a 'power steering cooler' needed to be installed for $375 and is not covered by our 'bumper to bumper' warrantee. The car makes all the noise when it is cold! Stay away from the dealer in San Bernardino, Calif.
Robert,I live in Illinois & had the same problem with my 2003. I purchased a bottle of "Lucas Power Steering Oil" & siphoned the oil out of the P.S. resevoir & refilled w/Lucas Oil.Problem solved.
Tom

Horseheads, NY

#25 Mar 8, 2010
We've got 127K on our 2003 Town & Country LX w/3.8L engine. The power steering moan is getting worse and worse, especially when cold. The dealer admitted to a reacall when it was approaching 50K. They changed out a power steering hose, which corrected the problem for a time. We used an additive after the noise returned after another 15 or 20K and that helped for a good while. Not sure what to do now.
Mark

Salisbury, MD

#26 Mar 28, 2010
'03 model should have already had a PS cooler, standard equipt. I believe you may have been taken.
Alan

Burton, WV

#27 Nov 12, 2010
I have a 2003 Town & Country and am finding out the steering rack is quite a problem. I have 60k and the rack is bad. Sounds to me like Chrysler needs to make a recall. If enough people contact Chrysler about this problem maybe they will do something.
Steve McIntyre

York, ME

#28 Nov 29, 2010
To all chrysler mini-van owners 2003 & newer. These vans are nice vans and a great seller. However......I've had nothing but front end problems and steering rack problems. its def. a flaw in there "great engineering". somebody should do something bout it.
Other than the steering rack, these vans are pretty reliable. I just think that Chrysler should be changing there ways, no wonder they needed a bail out!
Steven S

United States

#29 Mar 2, 2011
My buddy has a 2003 3.3L Town and Country. The shop dudes said that a recall wasn't necessary because it didn't affect the driving. Im refering to the power steering issues. The fluid never leaked but always made some noise when you would turn the wheel. In the winter in ND it was much louder. He said the steering seemed ok but now 4 years later there is no power steering what so ever, no noise, and still no leak. I looked at the pump and of course it is spinning and while the engine is running and in park there is no noise comming from the pump. What is going on? Is it a clogged res. or rack need replacement? Can I fix this on my own?
Bart Tur

Philadelphia, PA

#30 Mar 2, 2011
Denise wrote:
Has anyone had to replace the steerig rack in their van? I am on my 3rd and am wondering if there has been some type of recall for this part.
Good Day,

I found out from a service sales manager there might be something wrong with front end system suspension. Too much pressure on the rack? Need to take it to auto body shop who can review track the movements of all the working parts. But, heres the but, that might mean all of these caravans from 05 thru 09 may have more issues. My 06 is bad on front breaks.... Keep an eye on the sturts.. make sure they are working correctly.
Bart Tur

Philadelphia, PA

#31 Mar 2, 2011
Steven S wrote:
My buddy has a 2003 3.3L Town and Country. The shop dudes said that a recall wasn't necessary because it didn't affect the driving. Im refering to the power steering issues. The fluid never leaked but always made some noise when you would turn the wheel. In the winter in ND it was much louder. He said the steering seemed ok but now 4 years later there is no power steering what so ever, no noise, and still no leak. I looked at the pump and of course it is spinning and while the engine is running and in park there is no noise comming from the pump. What is going on? Is it a clogged res. or rack need replacement? Can I fix this on my own?
Might be the fluid has moistur in it? crack in the lines or lose connection letting moister in it. MAKE LOUD NOISE. Must drain the system completely and use ONLY CHRYSLER POWER STEERING FLUID. YES, found out, the system is made only to take their fluid. If the power steering fluid is very dirty? your power steering is rusting... replace. bad news your rack is has been contaimation issue with moistur . THere's another issue, if your alternator is locking up on you, the bearings reducing the rpm, your power steering makes noise because the revolutions are down. My alternator was going bad, matter of fact started to burn out, the bearings my power steering was making noise but then I notice smoke out of my alternator. I had not time, left it in the shop and the mechanic called me. Your alt bearings are shot. The revolutions are down and the fluid is not pumping in the power steering pump thus making noise.

ANother 400 bucks... thank you chrysler. NO MORE DODGE FOR ME!!!
Leon Walraven

Whittier, CA

#32 Apr 24, 2011
Our 2003 Chrysler t/c mini van is also making power steering noise. Had the pump replaced at the dealer for big bucks and it did not fix a thing. Drove around the block with the mechanic so he could hear the noise and he said he can't hear any unusual noise. My wife and myself just looked at the guy in dis belief. I believe it is in the rack and pinion and Chrsler will not admit to it. Also we have replaced both power windor regulators at a repair shop for about $350 each time. This is my wife car and it only has 55000 miles. Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and make good on these power steering issues.

Leon Walraven,
Whittier,Ca
Mike

Dublin, OH

#33 Apr 25, 2011
My 2003 started whining when cold and on the interstate when warm. Has 110k on it. Replaced the ps resevoir because the filter in the bottom gets clogged. It is a sealed resevoir. You can only buy it at the dealer.$37 got me the resevoir and ATF+4 fluid which is recommended. Whine went away immediately. 3k miles later now the steering has gone out twice on sharp, slow right turns into and out of the driveway?
papi1096

Boston, MA

#34 Jun 14, 2011
Gwendolyn Noll wrote:
I have 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and Monday I totally lost the ability to steer. Minutes before it happened I heard a wining at the engine and thought I'd mention to husband when get home. I got to corner to turn and started the turn and then couldn't turn the wheel anymore. Had oncoming traffic and traffic in rear to I gunned the engine and went into field and stopped. Some stopped and looked at it and the steering wheel was free spinning. Then turned hard to right and there was a thud. After that had control of my wheels again. Called dealership right then told them and then slowly drove it to them. They tell me they can't find a problem and if happens again leave it and let them tow it in. IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN!! I have 2 small children and we all could have been killed if we had been where we were 1/2 hour earlier. There is something wrong and it needs fixed. Many complaints about this at NHSTA.
I had same problem. It seems that there is a filter built into the power steering resevoir. It gets cloged and starves the power steering pump. Before you spend tons of money on a new stearing pump try this. Take the cap off of the resovoir. With a small screw driver poke a hole right through the filter screen. Fill resovoir and start car. I found the video on how to do this on U tube. Worked for me. Good luck
Don in Ohio

Lorain, OH

#35 Jun 14, 2011
I have a 2006 Town and Country with 78000 mostly highway miles on it. Have replaced the tie rod ends 3 times at 25k each time. the last time I replaced them with moog parts with a lubrication fitting after refusing to use factory replacement parts a third time. The steering rack is now leaking and must be replaced. Contacted Chrysler and was told it was my problem not theirs. Something to remember next time I need a new van, their concern for the customer stinks after you make a purchase.
Dandy Don

Chesapeake, VA

#36 Jun 23, 2011
We have an '05 Town and Country with 107k on it....I noticed a leak in the rack at 62k. Put a pint of Lucas Power Steering fluid in it and no more leak. Then now the inner tie rods are showing much play. Had to replace the rack. Did the job myself....found the part online for $100! Good to go.
Bart Tur

Philadelphia, PA

#37 Jun 24, 2011
Anyone having brake vibration issues when accelerating between 30 and 40?

I am tired of my rotors warping. I am told the calibars are bad. I just replaced them at 40k, now 58 k my rotors are warping again.

I hate dodge...
Andrea NY

Glen Head, NY

#38 Jul 13, 2011
My 2002 T&C steering seems to be locking. Could it be the steering rack? I am so dissapointed to hear this since I just bought this van. Steering seemed fine, now its locking upon turning.
Joseph Tan

Singapore, Singapore

#39 Sep 8, 2011
I had a 2003 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited in Singapore. You called it Town and Country in the States. It is a right-hand drive in Singapore. I had the same problem with the power steering rack. I almost lost control of the car. Very costly to fix it here in Singapore. This seems to be a common problem with this big van. Chrysler needs to relook at the design. Chrysler should redesign the van to be a back wheel drive instead of a front wheel drive. This will transfer the transmission power to the back wheels. And this will relief some stress on front wheel ball joints and link bars. .... For the drivers --- this van is very heavy. Do not turn the steering wheel while stepping on the brakes in stationary position. It will stress the brakes, the power steering rack and the ball joints. In stationary position, step on the pedal brake, put the gear shift to neutral. Pull up the hand brake. RELEASE THE FOOT PEDAL BRAKE. Ensure the van is still, then turn the steering wheel to the direction you want. Next, stop turning the steering wheel, step on the pedal brake, put the gear shift to drive (D), let go the hand brake, let go the pedal brake and step on the gas pedal. Off you go. This will reduce the wear and tear on this heavy giant. I love this van very much. It is a lovely van. I found this to be a good way to prolong the life of the steering rack because it is very heavy.
Glenda

Hurst, TX

#40 Feb 21, 2012
I have a 2003 T&C that has become harder & harder to steer. I put it in reverse and go back some ... hoping that when I go forward it corrects itself. It is making funny noises when I turn. So glad I read this site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Town and Country Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town & Country Sliding Door Pillar Buttons (Jan '10) Aug 7 Miriam 54
Radio doesn't work after battery change (May '07) Aug 2 john barton 71
News FCA Ramps Up Rollout of 2017 Chrysler Pacifica ... Jul 27 Trump 9
low tire pressure light (Oct '06) Jul 25 Call me Wally 25
Holden astra 08 radio and rear wiper not workin... Jul '16 Ben 1
News Ford F-150 and Chevy Corvette Among Longest Pro... Jul '16 ubetsha 1
News 2017 Chrysler Pacifica: Return of the American van Jun '16 Mossy 4
More from around the web