2003 Chrysler Town and Country Steeri...

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Steering Rack

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Denise

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 4, 2007
Has anyone had to replace the steerig rack in their van? I am on my 3rd and am wondering if there has been some type of recall for this part.
Kay Thompson

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2007
I have just taken my car in for the rack and pinion steering replacement. I can't believe that you are on your 3rd. My car only has 33,000 miles on it.
Dave

Calgary, Canada

#3 May 31, 2007
Check out the steering posts on the Dodge caravan forum on Edmunds.com . Seems a common problem. Best thing to do is post a moan on every website you can and embarrass chrysler into a recall
Joe Rookie

Louisville, KY

#4 Jun 7, 2007
I had a 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport, and the Steering Rack went out at 40,000 miles. I now have a 2005 Town and Country, and had to have steering rack replaced in this one at 40,000 miles also. No recall, but they're still having the same old problems, and not willing to fix it. Love the van, and would buy another one though.
Robert

United States

#5 Jul 16, 2007
Took our 2003 Chrysler Town & Country to dealer for power steering problems. They stated a 'power steering cooler' needed to be installed for $375 and is not covered by our 'bumper to bumper' warrantee. The car makes all the noise when it is cold! Stay away from the dealer in San Bernardino, Calif.
Scott E

AOL

#6 Jul 24, 2007
Our 2003 Chrysler Town and Country has been a great Van with it nearing 60 Thousand miles.Things we have had to replace the battery twice,The alternator,Both window regulators electric.And now the steering is making a odd noise when you turn the wheel.Have checked the power steering fluid,power steering pump and belt. These all check out fine so it must be in the steering rack itself. Going to take it back to the dealer to see if they can find the problem.
Harold Scarbro

North Las Vegas, NV

#7 Feb 16, 2009
The steering rack and the power steering pump in my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Van went out at 34,000 miles. It cost $1428 to replace. Apparently all of these vans have this problem from 30,000 to 50,000 miles. This is definitely a Chrysler design flaw, but they will not admit it because it would cost hundreds of millions to correct. We burned owners only recourse is to make Chrysler recognize this dangerous flaw by contacting our congressman. Chrysler, bankrupt Chrysler, should be forced to recall these vehicles.
Gwendolyn Noll

Buffalo Grove, IL

#8 Mar 25, 2009
I have 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and Monday I totally lost the ability to steer. Minutes before it happened I heard a wining at the engine and thought I'd mention to husband when get home. I got to corner to turn and started the turn and then couldn't turn the wheel anymore. Had oncoming traffic and traffic in rear to I gunned the engine and went into field and stopped. Some stopped and looked at it and the steering wheel was free spinning. Then turned hard to right and there was a thud. After that had control of my wheels again. Called dealership right then told them and then slowly drove it to them. They tell me they can't find a problem and if happens again leave it and let them tow it in. IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN!! I have 2 small children and we all could have been killed if we had been where we were 1/2 hour earlier. There is something wrong and it needs fixed. Many complaints about this at NHSTA.
Leah Wells

Olympia, WA

#9 Mar 30, 2009
I have a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country with only 30,000 miles and it has had Rack and Pinion steering issues from about 25,000 miles on. I am taking it in today for the repair, I am so disappointed, as it is a very expensive fix, and absolutely RIDICULOUS with this amount of mileage and wear and tear. Chrysler Corporation should be ashamed!
Keith Hillard

United States

#10 May 5, 2009
I have a 2003 Chrysler T&C Limited but with a bit over 100K miles. It has had steering issues since we bought it used but I have been limping along by letting it warm up before driving it and using power steering conditioners / additives to get us by. It is getting to a point where this may not work anymore but I am trying to drag my feet as much as possible since this is a well known engineering problem and the new one will do the same thing eventually. Maybe I will flush the lines of the old fluid and put in some more high mileage steering fluid with additive one more time to try and get another 12 K miles or so out of it.
Dan

Chicago, IL

#11 May 5, 2009
My 1998 Town & County has 224,000 miles on it (yes, two hundred thousand) and the original steering rack leaks, so I am going to replace it. This car has been very reliable and appears to be well made. It has been in my family since it was new, and has been regularly maintained. I believe if you take care of your car it will take care of you.
Stephen

Honolulu, HI

#12 May 7, 2009
I have a 2005 Town and Country we have replaced the steering rack twice in 35,000 miles. A mechanic told me he has replace 15 of them in the past year in his shop.
Denise wrote:
Has anyone had to replace the steerig rack in their van? I am on my 3rd and am wondering if there has been some type of recall for this part.
sim672

Freeport, ME

#13 May 18, 2009
just had my steering rack replaced, 2006 t&c 52,000 miles. i got one with a liftime warranty on the part, i guess thats gonna come in handy based on the reports here. will have to pay labor after 12mo. im also have an issue with the blimkers you put the right one on and the left comes on or both blink anyone else have this issue???
Cragdire

Willoughby, OH

#14 May 19, 2009
Steering problems. I am cking for other problems with the T & C, but it seems that another problem I have is the steering rack. I found out that Chrysler has a problem with the res. for the power steering. I guess it has filters inside (3) and they will clog up. At low speeds you will get a growl and at higher speeds it goes away. The response you will get from the dealer is to change the steering rack.
Another possible fix is the hose from the res. to the pump. There is a Dodge Tech 19-006-05. Increase the length of the hose. So I hope this helps people not to buy the steering rack.

Good Luck
Derek

Rolla, MO

#15 Aug 7, 2009
I've got an 03. I had to replace the steering column after my key stopped working. They remodded the whole column but didnt recall it, so replacing just the ignition was out of the question. I had to pay full price because of the bad manufacturing originally.
Kathy

Simpsonville, SC

#16 Aug 30, 2009
Just wondering how you made out when you took your 2003 T&C in to your dealer for the steering rack problem? I bought my 2003 new and have 96k miles on it. It has been a great van with no major problems. We did notice a steering whine around 40k miles but it wasn't bad. It has gotten louder and the dealer said (3 months ago)it was leaking (he said he filled it with fluid) and said it should be replace ($1,000 quote). I've been checking it regularly for the past 3 months and the fluid level has not lowered and have never noticed any fluid on the ground. Please let me know if you had yours repaired - thanks.
Scott E wrote:
Our 2003 Chrysler Town and Country has been a great Van with it nearing 60 Thousand miles.Things we have had to replace the battery twice,The alternator,Both window regulators electric.And now the steering is making a odd noise when you turn the wheel.Have checked the power steering fluid,power steering pump and belt. These all check out fine so it must be in the steering rack itself. Going to take it back to the dealer to see if they can find the problem.
Bart Tur

Brookhaven, PA

#17 Oct 21, 2009
Good Day,

Reply to Rack problem and steering. There is something defintly wrong with these vans. At 29k my rack was leaking through the dust boots. I took it back on warranty. I spoke to a Pepboys service manager and he tells me every Caravan that comes in after warranty expire has some problem with the rack and pinion. Chrysler knows about it. Cheap labor over seas for these racks? This is something we want to tell our senators. Write to your local senators and include complaint to the national highway admin. I can't believe the amount of money we spend as loyal americans and chrysler is not helping us? Keep in touch [email protected]
Gwendolyn Noll wrote:
I have 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT and Monday I totally lost the ability to steer. Minutes before it happened I heard a wining at the engine and thought I'd mention to husband when get home. I got to corner to turn and started the turn and then couldn't turn the wheel anymore. Had oncoming traffic and traffic in rear to I gunned the engine and went into field and stopped. Some stopped and looked at it and the steering wheel was free spinning. Then turned hard to right and there was a thud. After that had control of my wheels again. Called dealership right then told them and then slowly drove it to them. They tell me they can't find a problem and if happens again leave it and let them tow it in. IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN!! I have 2 small children and we all could have been killed if we had been where we were 1/2 hour earlier. There is something wrong and it needs fixed. Many complaints about this at NHSTA.
Steve in atlanta

Newnan, GA

#18 Oct 27, 2009
I have a 2002 grand caravan, with 120000 miles on it---its been agreat car for us, but recently its been haveing steering problems. It used to growl when the engine was cold---I replaced the resevior,and that solved that problem.(Theres a filter on the bottom of the resevior, easy fix!) 3 times in the last 2 months, the power steering has cut out when my wife was pulling out of a parking lot---I believe she was making a right turn. Any suggestions? Were on a really tight budget, but this is definetely a saftey issue and has to be fixed. What do I do?
Steve in atlanta

Newnan, GA

#19 Oct 27, 2009
I had a similar problem with my 2002 grand caravan, when it was cold, the power steering would growl----its really loud! I read on another forum that there is a filter on the bottom of the resevior that gets clogged sometimes. I bought a new one from the dealer for 43 dollers and changed it out, seems to have fixed the growling problem, we have other issues, but that one was a good fix! 2 hose clamps and 3 bolts. The bottom bolt is a real bugger to get to, you will need a deep well metric socket to reach it. All in all, about a 2 hour job. Good luck!
Joann In NC

Dayton, OH

#20 Nov 11, 2009
My 2004 Dodge Caravan would whine and sound like it was growling when the van was cold then it got to doing it for about 15 minutes everytime I started the van. Took it to the dealership, I have an extended warranty on it, they said it was the steering rack and under the warranty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Town and Country Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Town & Country Sliding Door Pillar Buttons (Jan '10) Dec 4 modmate 57
News What's New for 2017: Chrysler Dec 4 Bob 3
News 2017 Chrysler Pacifica: Return of the American van Nov 29 klaus 5
low tire pressure light (Oct '06) Nov 26 jslim 27
Radio doesn't work after battery change (May '07) Nov 25 Cyndi 74
no crank no start Nov 22 Bernardluis Limpin 2
electrial problems Nov 16 bobprin 1
More from around the web